opinion poll

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

CanAm

I'm toying with the idea of buying a mini and I was just curious how you guys would rate the different brands. I'm looking around the 10k lbs or 11-12 ft dig depth. I've found JCB to be under powered and I really don't care about bobcat. Just curious what the experts think.Thanks for your input

frank123

Cat, Deere/Hitachi, Takeuchi are the only names I trust now.
I'd actually agree with Ron on this one. The Bobcats are junk from what I've experienced. I think the Kubota's are highly overrated. You can't load a truck with them. The stick power is pathetic compared to the others and the swing speed is noticeably slower. I'd put Deere/Hitachi 1, Cat 2, and probably Tak 3.

OP
OP
C

CanAm

I'd actually agree with Ron on this one. The Bobcats are junk from what I've experienced. I think the Kubota's are highly overrated. You can't load a truck with them. The stick power is pathetic compared to the others and the swing speed is noticeably slower. I'd put Deere/Hitachi 1, Cat 2, and probably Tak 3.
What's the opinion on komatsu or yanmar? marc

bobcat_ron

What's the opinion on komatsu or yanmar? marc
Yanmar has the least amount of leg room, their engines and hydraulics are good, I like Komatsu, but I find their cabs fall apart PDQ and you need to really keep up with the TLC on the parts that break.

OP
OP
C

CanAm

Yanmar has the least amount of leg room, their engines and hydraulics are good, I like Komatsu, but I find their cabs fall apart PDQ and you need to really keep up with the TLC on the parts that break.
I have a line on a 2004 case cx36 with 900hr, open rops decent shape $19 500.00. A 2001 331E 1500 hrs a/c and heat $ 23 500.00 but is negotiable.I'm not familiar with case mini's but thier other stuff is decent. If anyone has input either way, great.

bobcat_ron

I have a line on a 2004 case cx36 with 900hr, open rops decent shape $19 500.00. A 2001 331E 1500 hrs a/c and heat $ 23 500.00 but is negotiable.I'm not familiar with case mini's but thier other stuff is decent. If anyone has input either way, great.
Case, Case, Case, Case, Case, don't look away from the Bobcat......run like hell!!!

I would gladly take anything over a Bobcat excavator!

Fishfiles

The Case and the Link Belt are Sumatoma with decals and paint , they are good , if you were thinking of a Deere get the Hithaci as it's the same machine short the engine and cost a lot less , Deere stickers are expensive , I'd stay away from zero swing , no rear end and tighter to work on , I like Komatsu and Bobcat works for me short of the 442 , 430 or 435 , but if I were buying I'd go Takeuchi

frank123

The Case and the Link Belt are Sumatoma with decals and paint , they are good , if you were thinking of a Deere get the Hithaci as it's the same machine short the engine and cost a lot less , Deere stickers are expensive , I'd stay away from zero swing , no rear end and tighter to work on , I like Komatsu and Bobcat works for me short of the 442 , 430 or 435 , but if I were buying I'd go Takeuchi
I'd disagree with the "Deere stickers are expensive" statement. I priced a 35D and a Hitachi last summer and the Deere came in about $1500 cheaper. Identical specs. I think it has more to do with the dealer than anything, just like every other brand.

bobcat_ron

I'd disagree with the "Deere stickers are expensive" statement. I priced a 35D and a Hitachi last summer and the Deere came in about $1500 cheaper. Identical specs. I think it has more to do with the dealer than anything, just like every other brand.
Deere'tachi's have some of the best stability in their ZTS categories, we tried every 2.5-3 ton machine with a 600 pound weight over the sides and no one could touch the Hitachi ZX27 we bought.

ksss

Case and LinkBelt are Sumitomo, but not in this class of machines. The CASE mini is a Kobleco as is the NH. Solid machines, they are not class leading according to the spec sheet but competent. I am on my second TK machine. I bought a TB53 in 04 and again in 07 this one was the TB153. I really cant believe anyone would by a mini that is not zero tail. Balance is not an issue at least with the 53 series machines. They are solid. I wont say there is not somethings I would like to change on them, but the side to side boom is a great feature. It is so strong of a feature it is impossible for me to look at a regular swing boom again. As far as working on them. I don't. I run them put a couple K on them and trade. The cab rotates up on the 53 but I could not even tell you how it works, never had to know. They are pretty solid machines at least for the time I have them.

Fishfiles

Case and LinkBelt are Sumitomo, but not in this class of machines. The CASE mini is a Kobleco as is the NH. Solid machines, they are not class leading according to the spec sheet but competent. I am on my second TK machine. I bought a TB53 in 04 and again in 07 this one was the TB153. I really cant believe anyone would by a mini that is not zero tail. Balance is not an issue at least with the 53 series machines. They are solid. I wont say there is not somethings I would like to change on them, but the side to side boom is a great feature. It is so strong of a feature it is impossible for me to look at a regular swing boom again. As far as working on them. I don't. I run them put a couple K on them and trade. The cab rotates up on the 53 but I could not even tell you how it works, never had to know. They are pretty solid machines at least for the time I have them.
You know I think you are right , I forgot about the mini's , I think it's 16,000 lbs and below , I don't know if it is still this way but but I seem to remember some New Hollands were Shaffe /Germany ,I would guess that was before CNH, I remember a bunch of .kobelco's engineers leaving and starting up Lou Gong Equipment , seen a few pop up and then none , I have heard that 90% of all excavators are manufactured in a 500 mile radius ---- I worked on a Komatsu 128 US today and to me it is light assed , I am not a fan of zero swing , I had to put a wet kit on the 128 and everything is so crammed in there , working on it is tuff --------I been around Takeuchi's since the were called Job /Tiger and worked on and operatored about 20 different models and all were long lasting machines , ----------taking about Deere , today i ordered a steel hyd. tube and the clamp to hold it to the bucket cylinder on a 120 , $560 US , thats ridiculous , $320 for the tubing alone , the Deere sticker on the parts is as expensive as the stickers on the side of the machine

OP
OP
C

CanAm

You know I think you are right , I forgot about the mini's , I think it's 16,000 lbs and below , I don't know if it is still this way but but I seem to remember some New Hollands were Shaffe /Germany ,I would guess that was before CNH, I remember a bunch of .kobelco's engineers leaving and starting up Lou Gong Equipment , seen a few pop up and then none , I have heard that 90% of all excavators are manufactured in a 500 mile radius ---- I worked on a Komatsu 128 US today and to me it is light assed , I am not a fan of zero swing , I had to put a wet kit on the 128 and everything is so crammed in there , working on it is tuff --------I been around Takeuchi's since the were called Job /Tiger and worked on and operatored about 20 different models and all were long lasting machines , ----------taking about Deere , today i ordered a steel hyd. tube and the clamp to hold it to the bucket cylinder on a 120 , $560 US , thats ridiculous , $320 for the tubing alone , the Deere sticker on the parts is as expensive as the stickers on the side of the machine
I went and checked out the 2001 Bobcat 331E with 1500 hours today. It was in decent shape but you could tell whoever owned it never spent much time on it other then maybe to grease it. There were some minor dings, the boom light was missing and so was the one on the front at the bottom, and some other minor things. The engine ran fine- no smoke and smooth. The hydraulics all worked well. There was some play/wear in the extenda hoe but that was no suprise and the bucket was in rough shape. I'm waiting to hear what kind of deal they give me but I think it will be around $ 19 500.00 out the door. What do you guys think, fair price? Thanks, Marc.

Land-Tech

I went and checked out the 2001 Bobcat 331E with 1500 hours today. It was in decent shape but you could tell whoever owned it never spent much time on it other then maybe to grease it. There were some minor dings, the boom light was missing and so was the one on the front at the bottom, and some other minor things. The engine ran fine- no smoke and smooth. The hydraulics all worked well. There was some play/wear in the extenda hoe but that was no suprise and the bucket was in rough shape. I'm waiting to hear what kind of deal they give me but I think it will be around $ 19 500.00 out the door. What do you guys think, fair price? Thanks, Marc.
I don't have the time today to respond like I would like to but don't make judgements by brand alone. My bobcats have there problems but they have all around dependable machines with a few glitches. I may amend a previous post on 435 swing too after taking the time the last couple of months trying out a friends case and anothers cat. I afraid they did not impress me as being so much better than bobcat. I will be more specific in a later post as to what i've learned in my comparison and why I feel much better about my machines. the manufactures have gone through a period of innovation in system design that still has to be proven through use. Look at machines that have 5000-10000 hrs and see how they run. My 331 had 1200 hrs when I bought it and now has over 5000 without going to a shop. I think thats pretty good.thanks scott

OP
OP
C

CanAm

I don't have the time today to respond like I would like to but don't make judgements by brand alone. My bobcats have there problems but they have all around dependable machines with a few glitches. I may amend a previous post on 435 swing too after taking the time the last couple of months trying out a friends case and anothers cat. I afraid they did not impress me as being so much better than bobcat. I will be more specific in a later post as to what i've learned in my comparison and why I feel much better about my machines. the manufactures have gone through a period of innovation in system design that still has to be proven through use. Look at machines that have 5000-10000 hrs and see how they run. My 331 had 1200 hrs when I bought it and now has over 5000 without going to a shop. I think thats pretty good.thanks scott
Hey, thanks Scott for posting that. It's not that I don't like Bobcat's but I' haven't been wowed. Anyways I think I have them down to 18 or 19 depending on how you look at it. I also found a seeder attachment for my ss and told them to sharpen thier pencils. I'm going back with a buddy for a 2nd opinion and if he agrees I'll probably take it. From all my research it's probably a good deal. I'm happy to hear abou the hours. thanks Marc