Onan 16 hp Service manual

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

skidsteer.ca

Does anyone have a pdf manual for a mid 80's Onan L head air cooled motor. @ 16 hp.
Its on my old Miller welder and needs a point change and tune up.
Thanks
Ken

OldMachinist

Ken what model Onan is it(BG, CCK or RCCK)? I have a service manual for the BG models and just parts manuals for the others. Let me know and I'll upload what you need.

OP
OP
skidsteer.ca

skidsteer.ca

Ken what model Onan is it(BG, CCK or RCCK)? I have a service manual for the BG models and just parts manuals for the others. Let me know and I'll upload what you need.
I'll have to look, where do they stamp the numbers?
I need to change the points I think.It lost spark after I forgot the ignition on during a no start.
Its about a 1985 200 amp Miller welder
Ken

OldMachinist

I'll have to look, where do they stamp the numbers?
I need to change the points I think.It lost spark after I forgot the ignition on during a no start.
Its about a 1985 200 amp Miller welder
Ken
Onan's have a plate on the flywheel tin like this.
DSCF0968.jpg

OP
OP
skidsteer.ca

skidsteer.ca

Onan's have a plate on the flywheel tin like this.
Finally got back to this now that it has emerged from the snow.
Model and Spec B48M GAO 374381A
Maybe "GAD" in the middle group
Serial# H86312689
not sure on the 1 in the serial number, may be a space.
Ken

OldMachinist

Finally got back to this now that it has emerged from the snow.
Model and Spec B48M GAO 374381A
Maybe "GAD" in the middle group
Serial# H86312689
not sure on the 1 in the serial number, may be a space.
Ken
Ken,
I have the manuals you need but haven't scanned them yet. Here are the tune up pages until I scan the complete manuals. The Onan part number for points and condenser kit is 160-1328-01

TuneUp1.jpg
TuneUp11.jpg

OP
OP
skidsteer.ca

skidsteer.ca

Ken,
I have the manuals you need but haven't scanned them yet. Here are the tune up pages until I scan the complete manuals. The Onan part number for points and condenser kit is 160-1328-01
Well I sanded up the points yesterday, but still no spark. I have to take the multi meter to them and check continuity I guess.
I have battery voltage 14.5 v (was on the charger) coming to the Neg on the coil but still have 2.4 volts on the Pos side when the points are closed. Only 4.6 ohms resistance aross the small terminal on the coil. Just wondering if that sounds right?

OldMachinist

Well I sanded up the points yesterday, but still no spark. I have to take the multi meter to them and check continuity I guess.
I have battery voltage 14.5 v (was on the charger) coming to the Neg on the coil but still have 2.4 volts on the Pos side when the points are closed. Only 4.6 ohms resistance aross the small terminal on the coil. Just wondering if that sounds right?
4.6 Ohms between the small terminals is good. Check the resistance between the spark plug cable holes.
Coil001.jpg

OP
OP
skidsteer.ca

skidsteer.ca

4.6 Ohms between the small terminals is good. Check the resistance between the spark plug cable holes.
Well new points and coil and cleaned the carb (twice, had it running good then somehow all new filters and oil brought the low rpm surge back) and now it is hummin smooth as silk.
Only issue left is the starter. Sometimes the drive does not engage and the starter motor just truns but not the engine. When it does engage it is slow to get it spinning over. Maybe just the weight of the armature couple to the motor or a poor bad cable delivering low voltage.
Is the starter drive the inertia style? I know my Kohler has one and that requires some lube annually.
Ken

OldMachinist

Well new points and coil and cleaned the carb (twice, had it running good then somehow all new filters and oil brought the low rpm surge back) and now it is hummin smooth as silk.
Only issue left is the starter. Sometimes the drive does not engage and the starter motor just truns but not the engine. When it does engage it is slow to get it spinning over. Maybe just the weight of the armature couple to the motor or a poor bad cable delivering low voltage.
Is the starter drive the inertia style? I know my Kohler has one and that requires some lube annually.
Ken
Yes the starter needs a little silicone based grease on the drive splines. Sounds like yours is gummed up.

Latest posts