Old problem popped back up?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

skidsteer.ca

Wait a minute, with the coils disconnected, and the fluke meter hooked to handle connector, I get a steady 9.75V with the thumb switch engauge left and right?.
A controler is possible, but so is a simple bad conection or wire or switch. As soon as that box of electronics senses something amiss, it just shuts off. I was fortunate enough to have a local guy with that same machine, that happen to have the same controler as mine, (there are 3 types that were used) borrowing his allowed me to rule that one out because I had the exact same symptoms with it.
Try the handle, you got nothing to lose.
Had it been the box, I would have seriously considered wiring in some resistors to drop the voltage and a momentary switch for cylinder control and a toggle for continuos flow. I can see no reason to make it that complicated.
Ken

OP
OP
P

perry

A controler is possible, but so is a simple bad conection or wire or switch. As soon as that box of electronics senses something amiss, it just shuts off. I was fortunate enough to have a local guy with that same machine, that happen to have the same controler as mine, (there are 3 types that were used) borrowing his allowed me to rule that one out because I had the exact same symptoms with it.
Try the handle, you got nothing to lose.
Had it been the box, I would have seriously considered wiring in some resistors to drop the voltage and a momentary switch for cylinder control and a toggle for continuos flow. I can see no reason to make it that complicated.
Ken
Well, I hope the BC guy I talked to is correct. Sometimes this electrical stuff just aggravates me, if I'm getting correct current to the coils and the coils test out correct, it should work!.

skidsteer.ca

Well, I hope the BC guy I talked to is correct. Sometimes this electrical stuff just aggravates me, if I'm getting correct current to the coils and the coils test out correct, it should work!.
The worst about the electronics is if resitance is too high in a wire, or voltages dips too low, or there is a millisecond interuption from a bad conection, it just shuts off, it can sense that.
Where as straight electric over hydraulic you might feel a momentary interuption of the flow, but if the conection is re established the flow will resume.
Ken

OP
OP
P

perry

The worst about the electronics is if resitance is too high in a wire, or voltages dips too low, or there is a millisecond interuption from a bad conection, it just shuts off, it can sense that.
Where as straight electric over hydraulic you might feel a momentary interuption of the flow, but if the conection is re established the flow will resume.
Ken
I removed the alt. and the MAIN wire was disconnected!!!, went ahead and had it checked, perfect!, as is the battery. Reassembled everything and it all works just fine. I'm paying for what the previous owned did!. He had his hands on just about everything, and didn't know what he was doing. Hopefully I've found and fixed all the problems?. Couldn't have done it without you guys............Thanks

Tazza

Staff member
I removed the alt. and the MAIN wire was disconnected!!!, went ahead and had it checked, perfect!, as is the battery. Reassembled everything and it all works just fine. I'm paying for what the previous owned did!. He had his hands on just about everything, and didn't know what he was doing. Hopefully I've found and fixed all the problems?. Couldn't have done it without you guys............Thanks
Glad it was so simple, just a shame the previous owner had a *play* and didn't put things back together rite....

skidsteer.ca

Glad it was so simple, just a shame the previous owner had a *play* and didn't put things back together rite....
I had my 773 do that at 1500 hours though and I'm sure it was factory wiring too. You just never know what can fall apart. Glad it was simple in the end.
Ken

OP
OP
P

perry

I had my 773 do that at 1500 hours though and I'm sure it was factory wiring too. You just never know what can fall apart. Glad it was simple in the end.
Ken
Well, I learned when your running on the battery only, all kinds of weird things happen as the battery runs down. The coils act up first, not engaging to allow flow. Question: along with the main battery wire on the alt. there is also a two wire plug-in, is this for the idiot light?, the alt. repair shop said it could be a signal for warm up plugs or other functions?. Any one know?.

jerry

Well, I learned when your running on the battery only, all kinds of weird things happen as the battery runs down. The coils act up first, not engaging to allow flow. Question: along with the main battery wire on the alt. there is also a two wire plug-in, is this for the idiot light?, the alt. repair shop said it could be a signal for warm up plugs or other functions?. Any one know?.
Perry if the alternator shop did not recognize the two wire plug for what it is I would have serious doubts about their work. They certainly have seen thousands of them.

OP
OP
P

perry

Perry if the alternator shop did not recognize the two wire plug for what it is I would have serious doubts about their work. They certainly have seen thousands of them.
He did mention that parts were hard to find for my particular alt.. I believe it's made in Korea?. He was recommended by a couple of large construction companies and his business is mainly automotive, I'm not surprised he dosen't know a lot about BC.

skidsteer.ca

He did mention that parts were hard to find for my particular alt.. I believe it's made in Korea?. He was recommended by a couple of large construction companies and his business is mainly automotive, I'm not surprised he dosen't know a lot about BC.
Even if he does'nt know bobcats, Delco alts use the same two small wires for years (unless they are updated to self exciting regulators, then the two small wires are not needed.
One of the small wires is power from your key to excite the alt, and I think the other is just used to run the dash idiot light.
The Mondo is made in Korea. Nothing wrong with them but a Delco is cheaper to fix and easy to get fixed, in stock everywhere, and bolt right up. I'm not throwing my mondo out till it quits, but I can buy a reman 60 Amp delco for $55
I have spares laying on the shelf that will fit many different machies in my yard, so that is a incentive for me too.
Wonder what Bobcat wants for a rebuilt Mondo? Bet it is not a two digit figure. $$$

OP
OP
P

perry

Even if he does'nt know bobcats, Delco alts use the same two small wires for years (unless they are updated to self exciting regulators, then the two small wires are not needed.
One of the small wires is power from your key to excite the alt, and I think the other is just used to run the dash idiot light.
The Mondo is made in Korea. Nothing wrong with them but a Delco is cheaper to fix and easy to get fixed, in stock everywhere, and bolt right up. I'm not throwing my mondo out till it quits, but I can buy a reman 60 Amp delco for $55
I have spares laying on the shelf that will fit many different machies in my yard, so that is a incentive for me too.
Wonder what Bobcat wants for a rebuilt Mondo? Bet it is not a two digit figure. $$$
Thanks for updating me on the delco relacement, I'm sure your right about 'not two digit's....

tsanders

Thanks for updating me on the delco relacement, I'm sure your right about 'not two digit's....
perry skidsteer is right about the delco alt. they are cheap in price and plentiful. i replaced all mine with delco single wire alt and that way you dont have to stock a lot of spares. these things last forever if you dont try to get a real high amp. i wonder at times why all construction equipment had to go to so much electrical instead of manual valves unless it is to keep the owner from fixing it. the first experiance i had with it was a jcb backhoe 2 actually. almost put me out of buisness !!! when the switchs went out they had to order them. they may be better now as this was about 15 years ago.

Latest posts