Old problem popped back up?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

perry

My 853 aux hydraulic will not engage, the two green lights on the upper right just blink when I flip the left-right lever or pull on the trigger?. I took it to bobcat a few months back and the control box behind the seat and under the cab is fine. he said I was getting power?.I did install new spools and new solenoids and it worked fine last fall. I checked all wires for a short and found nothing wrong, Of course I could have missed something. Before I take it to the dealer, thought I would see what you guys think?.

Thanks in advance.
Perry

Tazza

Staff member
Flashing lights i thought was a short..... But i'm new to this style of controls....

OP
OP
P

perry

Flashing lights i thought was a short..... But i'm new to this style of controls....
That could very well be, I do not know the 'flashing light codes', I called BC and ask about the 'flashing lights codes, and as expected they were vague or didn't know?. If anyone knows, that would be a great help.
While working on it yesterday, there was one time the chain moved and then stopped?.

OP
OP
P

perry

That could very well be, I do not know the 'flashing light codes', I called BC and ask about the 'flashing lights codes, and as expected they were vague or didn't know?. If anyone knows, that would be a great help.
While working on it yesterday, there was one time the chain moved and then stopped?.
Just a thought Tazza, should there be an insulator between the coil and where it slides on the spool?.

skidsteer.ca

Just a thought Tazza, should there be an insulator between the coil and where it slides on the spool?.
Good chaince its a poor wire or wire harness plug. Mine was the conector coming out of the rh steering lever, that part of the harness bends every time you move the lever, so its a good place to start. I found one wire with cracked insulation with only 7 strands left connected.
That fix it for 20 hours then started all over again, the conectors in the harnes plug looked alittle iffy , I soldierd in a new plug and have been fine since.
No insulation between the stem and coil to my knowledge.
Ken

OP
OP
P

perry

Good chaince its a poor wire or wire harness plug. Mine was the conector coming out of the rh steering lever, that part of the harness bends every time you move the lever, so its a good place to start. I found one wire with cracked insulation with only 7 strands left connected.
That fix it for 20 hours then started all over again, the conectors in the harnes plug looked alittle iffy , I soldierd in a new plug and have been fine since.
No insulation between the stem and coil to my knowledge.
Ken
Well, with the old fluke meter I found both connections to the coils (not the coil wires) is a steady 9.75V each!, what it's supposed to be. So power is going to the coils?. I cranked it up and pushed the button to activate the aux. hyd. a few times and twice the trencher started and then stopped immediately?.
These coils were purchased new last summer?.
Any Ideas?.
Where do you buy your new plug connectors?.

Thanks

skidsteer.ca

Well, with the old fluke meter I found both connections to the coils (not the coil wires) is a steady 9.75V each!, what it's supposed to be. So power is going to the coils?. I cranked it up and pushed the button to activate the aux. hyd. a few times and twice the trencher started and then stopped immediately?.
These coils were purchased new last summer?.
Any Ideas?.
Where do you buy your new plug connectors?.

Thanks
I just used common sealed automotive harness conectors from the auto parts store. If I have to change the steering lever switches it won't plug right in anymore.
Hook your voltmeter up and shake the harness all around and see if the volts stay constant.
9.75 volts was with your engine running or not?
Ken

OP
OP
P

perry

I just used common sealed automotive harness conectors from the auto parts store. If I have to change the steering lever switches it won't plug right in anymore.
Hook your voltmeter up and shake the harness all around and see if the volts stay constant.
9.75 volts was with your engine running or not?
Ken
Ken, this is your old post concerning my problem........
The resistance off that coil is 10.6 ohms on my 853 and the coil is different then the 3rd valve coils.
Also on the nut (that holds the coil to the stem) is marked "do not exceed 5 ft lbs when tightening" This is important when installing any of these coils as overtightening will distart the stem (piece with o rings on) and the needle will bind inside the stem. The last stem i bought for my 773 was $104.00
My bucket tilt cylinder will move a inch or 2 with the safety valve locked, but the boom will barely move at all.
Ken

Am I to understand the wires 'from' the coil should be 10.6 ohms.?

OP
OP
P

perry

Ken, this is your old post concerning my problem........
The resistance off that coil is 10.6 ohms on my 853 and the coil is different then the 3rd valve coils.
Also on the nut (that holds the coil to the stem) is marked "do not exceed 5 ft lbs when tightening" This is important when installing any of these coils as overtightening will distart the stem (piece with o rings on) and the needle will bind inside the stem. The last stem i bought for my 773 was $104.00
My bucket tilt cylinder will move a inch or 2 with the safety valve locked, but the boom will barely move at all.
Ken

Am I to understand the wires 'from' the coil should be 10.6 ohms.?
Ken, I called BC and they said the ohms should 3.8 from the coils and that's exactly what they read?.

OP
OP
P

perry

Ken, I called BC and they said the ohms should 3.8 from the coils and that's exactly what they read?.
OK, called BC again and the tech guy said I need a new handle?, it's $90 and well worth it if that's my problem?.
So!, I'm getting 9.75 volts to the coils, which is correct-the coils read 3.8 ohms, which is correct and the green lights still blink when I pull the trigger or toggle the front switch?.
Do you think I need a new handle?. It just doesnt seem right when I'm getting 9.75 volts to the coils????????.

OP
OP
P

perry

OK, called BC again and the tech guy said I need a new handle?, it's $90 and well worth it if that's my problem?.
So!, I'm getting 9.75 volts to the coils, which is correct-the coils read 3.8 ohms, which is correct and the green lights still blink when I pull the trigger or toggle the front switch?.
Do you think I need a new handle?. It just doesnt seem right when I'm getting 9.75 volts to the coils????????.
By the way, the new handle consist of the hand part only and the wires, I gotta disassemble my plug and that looks to be a little intense. Have you done this?.

skidsteer.ca

I'm not so sure on the handle yet either. It would have cured mine maybe, as the problem was the wires coming throught the center of the steering lever and the first harness conector they connected to. So I would have got 1/2 of a new conector. But the handle itself was fine
That does not sound like too bad a price though as my 773 is $155
Is the problem always there from the time your hit the hyd mode button? or does it work for a minute and then kick the hyd off and the lights start to blink?
My multi meter is a cheap one, so it may be off a bit too. But at 3.8 ohms your coil is not burnt out. If you remove the nut on the stem can you feel the magnetic field of the coil pulling itself onto the stem when you try to lift it off? I can't see both your coils being bad at once
The lights are flashing while your getting the 9.75 volts? No. right? When they flash there should be no voltage.
Mine would work for a few minutes and the second it shut the oil flow off the green light were blinking.
Thumb lever "right" is the same coil and stem as the front trigger. If thumb lever "left" works try swapping the coils on the stems to see if the problem is electical (if it moves) or stem (if it stays)
However the lights blinking would not indicate a stem problem, only a wire or controller problem.
Ken

OP
OP
P

perry

I'm not so sure on the handle yet either. It would have cured mine maybe, as the problem was the wires coming throught the center of the steering lever and the first harness conector they connected to. So I would have got 1/2 of a new conector. But the handle itself was fine
That does not sound like too bad a price though as my 773 is $155
Is the problem always there from the time your hit the hyd mode button? or does it work for a minute and then kick the hyd off and the lights start to blink?
My multi meter is a cheap one, so it may be off a bit too. But at 3.8 ohms your coil is not burnt out. If you remove the nut on the stem can you feel the magnetic field of the coil pulling itself onto the stem when you try to lift it off? I can't see both your coils being bad at once
The lights are flashing while your getting the 9.75 volts? No. right? When they flash there should be no voltage.
Mine would work for a few minutes and the second it shut the oil flow off the green light were blinking.
Thumb lever "right" is the same coil and stem as the front trigger. If thumb lever "left" works try swapping the coils on the stems to see if the problem is electical (if it moves) or stem (if it stays)
However the lights blinking would not indicate a stem problem, only a wire or controller problem.
Ken
The trencher started about three times today and only lasted a few seconds with the green lights blinking immediately. Yes, I took the nut off and slid the coil back mabye 1/4 inch, when I flipped the thumb lever the coil moved for an instant then stopped.....
I'll check to see if I have voltage when lights are blinking?
I hooked the MM to the handle connector and when I flipped the thumd lever, it read 9.75, when released it reads 0.
I tried the swapping deal, and the same thing.
I'm thinking it all works until I put a load on it by flipping the thumb switch?.

skidsteer.ca

The trencher started about three times today and only lasted a few seconds with the green lights blinking immediately. Yes, I took the nut off and slid the coil back mabye 1/4 inch, when I flipped the thumb lever the coil moved for an instant then stopped.....
I'll check to see if I have voltage when lights are blinking?
I hooked the MM to the handle connector and when I flipped the thumd lever, it read 9.75, when released it reads 0.
I tried the swapping deal, and the same thing.
I'm thinking it all works until I put a load on it by flipping the thumb switch?.
Are all the wires going to the hr handle open circuits when the switches are off?
And 2 wires closed when you push the thumb switch right? or/also same wires closed when trigger is activated?
If so you could put a jumper across the wires that are joined by the switch to see if that make the problem go away. If it does its in the handle switches or wires.
Sounds like its in the electical side,
Ken

OP
OP
P

perry

Are all the wires going to the hr handle open circuits when the switches are off?
And 2 wires closed when you push the thumb switch right? or/also same wires closed when trigger is activated?
If so you could put a jumper across the wires that are joined by the switch to see if that make the problem go away. If it does its in the handle switches or wires.
Sounds like its in the electical side,
Ken
You know, I thought about that, splice in two toggle switches and mount them next to the throttle arm. But what the heck,I'll order the handle assy., I told them I would bring it back if that was not the problem! and they didn't have a problem with that......Got a couple of jobs starting tomorrow, so I'll order and hopefully get in installed this weekend.

thanks

skidsteer.ca

You know, I thought about that, splice in two toggle switches and mount them next to the throttle arm. But what the heck,I'll order the handle assy., I told them I would bring it back if that was not the problem! and they didn't have a problem with that......Got a couple of jobs starting tomorrow, so I'll order and hopefully get in installed this weekend.

thanks
I just meant as a test, but if they let you try the new grip, might as well do that.
Ken

Tazza

Staff member
I just meant as a test, but if they let you try the new grip, might as well do that.
Ken
If your attachment works with the thumb switch your coils and stems must be ok. It has to be something with the controller not locking the coil on.....

OP
OP
P

perry

If your attachment works with the thumb switch your coils and stems must be ok. It has to be something with the controller not locking the coil on.....
Tazza, don't tell me that..please. I believe the controller is somewhere around $600-800.

OP
OP
P

perry

Tazza, don't tell me that..please. I believe the controller is somewhere around $600-800.
Wait a minute, with the coils disconnected, and the fluke meter hooked to handle connector, I get a steady 9.75V with the thumb switch engauge left and right?.