not a Mustang model 345???

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

fork8000

Hello, thanks for letting me join, this is my first post. I bought a used Mustang 3 years ago. The guy I bought it from told me it is a 1978, model 345. Because of the decals on the sides I had no reason to not believe him, until I needed a parts book. On ebay I located a 345 parts book and bought it. When I started looking through the book I found my machine IS NOT a model 345. I contacted Mustang and got some reply's but I guess there are no "old timers" at Mustang now. One Mustang guy came up with the closest model I've seen yet, model 940, but 940s have diesel engines, my old Mustang has the little Ford gas 4 cyl. I have some pictures and I'm hoping i"ll be able to add them to this post if I can figure out how to. If anyone has any early Mustang knowledge, please help me identify this machine so I can get a parts book. Thanks in advance for any consideration. Well, before I post I cannot find how to attach a picture, I tried to drag and drop but it didn't work

OP
OP
F

fork8000

I got one picture on photo albums, Album is called - NOT a Mustang345. I have 7 more pictures, they would not load for some reason, I'll try again later. This forum is about my last hope to ID this machine! thanks

OP
OP
F

fork8000

I got one picture on photo albums, Album is called - NOT a Mustang345. I have 7 more pictures, they would not load for some reason, I'll try again later. This forum is about my last hope to ID this machine! thanks
I was able to upload all my pictures of the Mustang. They are in the photo pages, on page 4, named NOT a Mustang 345. Please take a look and if you have some idea, please help me identify the correct model. thanks

Tazza

Staff member
I was able to upload all my pictures of the Mustang. They are in the photo pages, on page 4, named NOT a Mustang 345. Please take a look and if you have some idea, please help me identify the correct model. thanks
DSCI0255.JPG

DSCI0256.JPG

DSCI0257.JPG

DSCI0258.JPG

DSCI0259.JPG

DSCI0260.JPG

DSCI0261.JPG

It looks to be in really good shape, if it really is a 78 model, it has been well cared for.
Hopefully someone can identify it for you.

OP
OP
F

fork8000

Any serial number anywhere?
Thanks, taza for putting my pictures up - farmshop, no, Mustang tech support told me they install a vinyl decal with the model + ser number on the left hand side, either on the side of operator cage or in the inner fender well. I've examined the entire machine very closely and can find no decal. I asked Mustang tech support if they "stamped" the serial number anywhere and they said "no". Its hard to believe that a manufacturer of dirt excavation equipment would only put machine data on a decal but I guess they did. There's a lubrication guide decal inside the back engine cover, but it is so faded I cant make out any of the fine print around the edges. One thing I've learned though, is, this skid IS NOT a model 345. Unless its some sort of last year crossover to a newer design. It very closely resembles a mod 940. I want to get a parts book so if I have any parts failures other than general items I will have a part number that might cross to some makers inventory (hyd pump/motors) I bought a mod 345 parts book off ebay for $30 some odd dollars and thats when I found out this is not a 345. Mustang tech support tried to help but I dont think they have any knowledge of the old machines...

rokcrlr

Thanks, taza for putting my pictures up - farmshop, no, Mustang tech support told me they install a vinyl decal with the model + ser number on the left hand side, either on the side of operator cage or in the inner fender well. I've examined the entire machine very closely and can find no decal. I asked Mustang tech support if they "stamped" the serial number anywhere and they said "no". Its hard to believe that a manufacturer of dirt excavation equipment would only put machine data on a decal but I guess they did. There's a lubrication guide decal inside the back engine cover, but it is so faded I cant make out any of the fine print around the edges. One thing I've learned though, is, this skid IS NOT a model 345. Unless its some sort of last year crossover to a newer design. It very closely resembles a mod 940. I want to get a parts book so if I have any parts failures other than general items I will have a part number that might cross to some makers inventory (hyd pump/motors) I bought a mod 345 parts book off ebay for $30 some odd dollars and thats when I found out this is not a 345. Mustang tech support tried to help but I dont think they have any knowledge of the old machines...
your right, thats not a 345 as I have one sitting out back. It is probably a little newer than you thought.

Tractor 345

R u sure its a Mustang Skid Steer maybe its 80 340 this doesn't have the high lift boom and the quick attach like my

foton

why dont you try to find the engine number tag and seeing at least what year it was made and maybe then cross it back to see what model mustang made that year with that engine. ( if you think it is a original engine)

Kingofjunk

I
Hello, thanks for letting me join, this is my first post. I bought a used Mustang 3 years ago. The guy I bought it from told me it is a 1978, model 345. Because of the decals on the sides I had no reason to not believe him, until I needed a parts book. On ebay I located a 345 parts book and bought it. When I started looking through the book I found my machine IS NOT a model 345. I contacted Mustang and got some reply's but I guess there are no "old timers" at Mustang now. One Mustang guy came up with the closest model I've seen yet, model 940, but 940s have diesel engines, my old Mustang has the little Ford gas 4 cyl. I have some pictures and I'm hoping i"ll be able to add them to this post if I can figure out how to. If anyone has any early Mustang knowledge, please help me identify this machine so I can get a parts book. Thanks in advance for any consideration. Well, before I post I cannot find how to attach a picture, I tried to drag and drop but it didn't work
It looks like a three fourty five to me. I've seen one sitting near me and I would like to buy it. It has the quick attach handle. How much do you think I should pay for it? I have an old mustang 1200 series.

JACO

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MINE . IT'S LIKE THE ONE PICTURED BUT DIFFERENT DASH AND A PERKINS DEISAL ! A TIN PLATE ON/IN RIGHT REAR BOOM FACEING FORWARD THAT THE NUMBERS ARE WORN OFF. BEEN REPAINTED WITHOUT STICKERS...? WAS TOLD A 330? 341?

Last edited:

Firefighter

If It Has A 3 cylinder Kubota Its 342 If Its a 4 Cylinder Its a 442, The One with the perkins Diesel Is Either a 440 or 441