Northwestern skidsteer drive

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

drkonek

Have old northwestern skidsteer and the right drive wheels stopped working. I have the drive motor off which is a Sundstrand 18-3020 on the plate. Is there a place to send it to tell if it works? When I turn it by hand it creates suction if I cover the port. Could it also be that I have a problem with a section of the hydro pump? It has sections which are piped to each drive motor .

Tazza

Staff member
There could be a few things that could cause the problem, pump problem, blown seals in the motor, bearing locked up inside the chain case, broken chain.
You could try putting the motor on the other side and see if the drive stops n that side or not, then you can confirm of its the motor.

73Eldo

There could be a few things that could cause the problem, pump problem, blown seals in the motor, bearing locked up inside the chain case, broken chain.
You could try putting the motor on the other side and see if the drive stops n that side or not, then you can confirm of its the motor.
My Mustang has Sunstrand stuff on it. The Sunstrand name appears to be long gone. Current stuff is under the name SAUER DANFOSS. Mine are 15 series. I dont remember where I found the data on mine but it was all found spending some quality time with Google. You want to be looking for the 18 series, the rest of the numbers are variations on the same basic internals. I found some good diagrams and specs for mine.

73Eldo

My Mustang has Sunstrand stuff on it. The Sunstrand name appears to be long gone. Current stuff is under the name SAUER DANFOSS. Mine are 15 series. I dont remember where I found the data on mine but it was all found spending some quality time with Google. You want to be looking for the 18 series, the rest of the numbers are variations on the same basic internals. I found some good diagrams and specs for mine.
Forgot to add if its the same type of pumps and motors as mine its not very likely for the motor to just outright quit. Most motor issues will just make it week or slow. The pump / control system has several things that could easily cause it to quit. Some are not too serious others are. If you can find the info on yours they explain things and give trouble shooting. Could be as easy as a issue with the charge pump which often can be serviced without having to completely tearing apart the whole pump unit. A lot depends on the pump model and how its mounted in your machine.

OP
OP
D

drkonek

Thank you for the help I think I found a broken shaft.