NH L785 - Steering won't adjust & progressively worse

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

pellet

New guy here and hoping for some help. Hope this is the best place to post this. If not let me know and I will put it in the correct place. Not long ago I bought a 1992 New Holland L785 Skidsteer with about 2700 hours on it. It seems to be in good shape over all. The steering worked well on the left but the right needed some adjustment....or so I thought. I got it home, got the manuals for it, jacked it up, and worked on the adjustment for the steering servo per the manual. I thought I had it pretty well working. The rubber bushings in the linkage seemed tight enough, about the same on both sides. The left side seemed to be working fine but the right would go just slightly in the direction of last use. In other words if you push the control lever forward and released it, the shaft on the drive motor would move just slightly in the forward direction and if you pulled the lever back the shaft on the drive motor tires would move just slightly in the reverse direction. The movement was very slow and I figured maybe it wasn't too big an issue so I got the blocking out and sat it back on the ground. I had some work I need to get done so I started using it. After about an hour of use the steering began to become a problem so I figured the steering servo adjustments needed more attention, though I wondered if they are really supposed to be that sensitive and problematic. I had to hold back on the right lever to get it to go straight, then it seemed both sides were not working like they should in relation to the neutral center position. Every once in a while the engine would load up like the pumps were being stroked but I wasn't doing it to the point it would almost kill the engine, even if I moved the levers to try to "find" the neutral position. The fourth time or so it happened it did kill the engine and now it is in a pile of dirt with the bucket full and I can't seem to get it to start. It seems like the starter is trying to turn the engine when the pumps are under a heavy hydraulic load. Now I can't move the machine to get it up on some blocking. Any ideas would be much appreciated. I really need to get this work done and things are stacking up on me, if you know what I mean! Thanks.

OP
OP
P

pellet

Just need to add the hydro oil is full and fluid looks clean. It was pretty jerky acting trying to approach an area to pu a bucket of material, difficult to do almost.

shawn macananny

Just need to add the hydro oil is full and fluid looks clean. It was pretty jerky acting trying to approach an area to pu a bucket of material, difficult to do almost.
I just had a similar situation with a bobcat 751 i purchased. Machine was tracking slightly off when reversing, until the right stick would only go very very slowly in reverse, unless i yanked it, then the left stick would go slow in forward and i would have to hold the right stick back some to go straight. Turned out i had two bad drive motors. They are still out getting rebuilt but the place said they were both bad.

OP
OP
P

pellet

I just had a similar situation with a bobcat 751 i purchased. Machine was tracking slightly off when reversing, until the right stick would only go very very slowly in reverse, unless i yanked it, then the left stick would go slow in forward and i would have to hold the right stick back some to go straight. Turned out i had two bad drive motors. They are still out getting rebuilt but the place said they were both bad.
Shawn, Thanks for the response. I'd really like to fix this myself. Got any ideas on how to diagnose/trouble shoot/test things to see what exactly the problem is? I appreciate the help. Tom

OP
OP
P

pellet

Shawn, Thanks for the response. I'd really like to fix this myself. Got any ideas on how to diagnose/trouble shoot/test things to see what exactly the problem is? I appreciate the help. Tom
Bump, a little help here on diagnostics would sure be appreciated.

Tazza

Staff member
Bump, a little help here on diagnostics would sure be appreciated.
Try pulling back on the steering sticks and cranking, hopefully you can find the sweet spot to allow it to start.
When its going move it so you can block it again. Something has to be worn/loose.
Check that the steering lever parts that mount to the pump are not worn. This is common for later model bobcat machines, they get loose and wear the alloy mounts and you get erratic operation like this.
You say it will not return correctly, is the spring that pulls back to neutral still good and tight? are the steering levers lubricated?
I have never worked on a NH so i don't know any specifics about what to point you to look at.

OP
OP
P

pellet

Try pulling back on the steering sticks and cranking, hopefully you can find the sweet spot to allow it to start.
When its going move it so you can block it again. Something has to be worn/loose.
Check that the steering lever parts that mount to the pump are not worn. This is common for later model bobcat machines, they get loose and wear the alloy mounts and you get erratic operation like this.
You say it will not return correctly, is the spring that pulls back to neutral still good and tight? are the steering levers lubricated?
I have never worked on a NH so i don't know any specifics about what to point you to look at.
Tazza, Thanks for the response. I will go through the steering linkage again if I can get it started, I have the battery out and on a charger now. I have adjusted the neutralizer springs but will check them again, it is all part of the procedure given in the manual...checking & adjusting the springs, checking the condition of the rubber bushings (there are 8 of 'em!), adjusting so the linkage to the servo is centered and the pumps are not being stroked when in the center position. The pumps are variable displacement piston pumps by Cessna/Eaton and the servos are external and connect to levers that are attached to the pump shafts.

skidsteer.ca

Tazza, Thanks for the response. I will go through the steering linkage again if I can get it started, I have the battery out and on a charger now. I have adjusted the neutralizer springs but will check them again, it is all part of the procedure given in the manual...checking & adjusting the springs, checking the condition of the rubber bushings (there are 8 of 'em!), adjusting so the linkage to the servo is centered and the pumps are not being stroked when in the center position. The pumps are variable displacement piston pumps by Cessna/Eaton and the servos are external and connect to levers that are attached to the pump shafts.
Something must be loose if its changing so fast. Also the sticks not wanting to center themselves in both directions is a sign of something loose or the centering blocks being worn.
Perhaps you can get someone to help run one stick so yo can concentrate on the other while trying to start it.
Ken