NH L455 Creeping

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

NHL455

When standing my skid steer crreps forward or backwards - depending on the last direction i travelled - can somebody advise what i need to adjust to stop this happening please?

OP
OP
N

NHL455

can anybody suggest a forum where people know about older skid steers as not getting any answers on here.not even a hello|!!!!!!

Tazza

Staff member
can anybody suggest a forum where people know about older skid steers as not getting any answers on here.not even a hello|!!!!!!
I for one have never worked on a NH machine, that is why i don't say anything, why say something without knowledge? I don't just reply to posts if i don't have anything to add. If it was a hydrostatic drive bobcat sure, bushings, centering spring, shock absorbers, no idea what NH use for their steering linkages on this model, cables? servos? both of which i have no experience with.
I generally just keep on reading when members complain about not getting a reply, i'm a very patient person, i go out of my way to help where i can, my post count will show you that. I don't have as much spare time as i used to, but i still make an effort.
The one point i refuse to help is when someone complains about not getting a reply, or demands a copy of a repair/parts manual. The worst offenders are the ones that haven't had a reply in 24 hours and complain bitterly about it.
As for a forum that will say hello and know how to fix your issue, let your fingers do some googling.

Ivan

I How bad does it creep and does it stop if you wiggle the handles back and forth. I don't know much about this problem but if I was you I would get a service manual for you machine and I am sure it is coved in that. Look up a parts diagram on the internet and start checking parts. Maybe just needs an adjustment

deaop06

I am sorry you haven't got your answer. First, Ivan is right you need a service Manual. I have a service, parts and owners manual and couldn't live without them. Second, your setup looks like my old L225. If it is there should be adjustments on the attach points front and rear. Check that your steering shocks are clean and dry. Make sure all bushing are in good shape. When you release the sticks steering should return to natural. Sounds like yours is not. Third, Parts are hard to find. If you need a new shock they are around $200. I needed one but I got a steering shock for an old VW bus. It was the same but I had to turn a groove for the locking ring. You need service manual to show you how to adjust and repair all this. The wheels need to be off ground to adjust forward or back motion and make sure you lock boom in up position Good luck. Ron

OP
OP
N

NHL455

I am sorry you haven't got your answer. First, Ivan is right you need a service Manual. I have a service, parts and owners manual and couldn't live without them. Second, your setup looks like my old L225. If it is there should be adjustments on the attach points front and rear. Check that your steering shocks are clean and dry. Make sure all bushing are in good shape. When you release the sticks steering should return to natural. Sounds like yours is not. Third, Parts are hard to find. If you need a new shock they are around $200. I needed one but I got a steering shock for an old VW bus. It was the same but I had to turn a groove for the locking ring. You need service manual to show you how to adjust and repair all this. The wheels need to be off ground to adjust forward or back motion and make sure you lock boom in up position Good luck. Ron
hi thank you for the helpful advice but i have the service and operator manual but it isnt very helpful

Ivan

hi thank you for the helpful advice but i have the service and operator manual but it isnt very helpful
Do a search on the internet for this problem. Even if the search shows up and it is not for your machine it will still work usually or give you an idea

OP
OP
N

NHL455

Do a search on the internet for this problem. Even if the search shows up and it is not for your machine it will still work usually or give you an idea
yes i have spent many, many hours, the issue is that mine creeps either way, so if it creeping backwards and you tap the lever it will creep forward - but all the examples i can find seem to be where machines creep backwards OR forwards and then advise you how to adjust them back to neutral. It seems on mine as if whatever holds it in neutral isnt strong enough. My set up is 2 opposing neutralisers with a nut at the end to adjust and two other adjusters which are meant to remove play in the levers which i dont have much of!

Ivan

yes i have spent many, many hours, the issue is that mine creeps either way, so if it creeping backwards and you tap the lever it will creep forward - but all the examples i can find seem to be where machines creep backwards OR forwards and then advise you how to adjust them back to neutral. It seems on mine as if whatever holds it in neutral isnt strong enough. My set up is 2 opposing neutralisers with a nut at the end to adjust and two other adjusters which are meant to remove play in the levers which i dont have much of!
I went to goggle last night and there is a bunch of things on there of how to adjust and how to fix this problem on that model. It tells how to reset the hydro so they center themselves. Do a search for skidsteer creeping. The answer to youquestion I think will be answered

deaop06

The neutralizers are shocks. Are they dry? There should be a spring in a tube and the nut adjusts the tension. If you have the springs make sure they are not broken. One other thing to check is the clamp that attaches to the transmission shaft. One for each side. Make sure they are tight. I had an old 225 that would jump sometimes. Found the left clamp was loose and had opened the key slot. Had to file out slot to 1/4". Put it back together and it was like a new machine. You state "tap lever forward it goes forward or tap back it goes back". Does it do that with either lever? Hold one lever from moving and tap the other. If it does move with one lever and not the other you can work on that side. Just looking to isolate the problem to one side or the other. Keep at it. You will get it fixed.

OP
OP
N

NHL455

The neutralizers are shocks. Are they dry? There should be a spring in a tube and the nut adjusts the tension. If you have the springs make sure they are not broken. One other thing to check is the clamp that attaches to the transmission shaft. One for each side. Make sure they are tight. I had an old 225 that would jump sometimes. Found the left clamp was loose and had opened the key slot. Had to file out slot to 1/4". Put it back together and it was like a new machine. You state "tap lever forward it goes forward or tap back it goes back". Does it do that with either lever? Hold one lever from moving and tap the other. If it does move with one lever and not the other you can work on that side. Just looking to isolate the problem to one side or the other. Keep at it. You will get it fixed.
thank you deap06 - the neutralisers look like closed units how do i tell if the springs are broken, yes the chrome shafts are dry. i believe either lever causes it to creep but will check. As for the jumping it does jump sometimes but i thought that was because the tyres dont hold air very well ? is the clamp that attaches to the transmission shaft between the neutralisers and the engine - sorry i am still finding my way around as its my first skidsteer and what do you mean by key slot ?

deaop06

thank you deap06 - the neutralisers look like closed units how do i tell if the springs are broken, yes the chrome shafts are dry. i believe either lever causes it to creep but will check. As for the jumping it does jump sometimes but i thought that was because the tyres dont hold air very well ? is the clamp that attaches to the transmission shaft between the neutralisers and the engine - sorry i am still finding my way around as its my first skidsteer and what do you mean by key slot ?
Do Google search for NH l455 parts. Go to partspring.com go to page 7 and pick #124 Drive Controls. Item # 7 is the clamp I am talking about. Blow it up and see the bolt hole. This clamp goes on the shaft from the transmission. There should be a keyway in shaft with a 3/16" square key. This should be tight no play. Also you can see the damper #15 (small shock) and the neutralizer assembly. Your service manual should show how to adjust the neutralizer. For safety you need to get boom locked up on the pins and wheels off ground. I can tell you that it is a pain in the a** to adjust. With out seeing your machine I can't help much more. Check that rods are straight, bushing in ends are free and lightly lubed. Clean all parts. Brake cleaner works on old grease and WD 40 is good also. If everything looks good then adjust the whole assembly on one side until there is no creep. Only loosen front and rear enough to tap forward or back. Your front may not have adjustment. My old l225 only moved about 1/32" and it was done. So move a little at a time. This needs to be done with machine running at idle. Read your service manual over and over. Good luck

OP
OP
N

NHL455

Do Google search for NH l455 parts. Go to partspring.com go to page 7 and pick #124 Drive Controls. Item # 7 is the clamp I am talking about. Blow it up and see the bolt hole. This clamp goes on the shaft from the transmission. There should be a keyway in shaft with a 3/16" square key. This should be tight no play. Also you can see the damper #15 (small shock) and the neutralizer assembly. Your service manual should show how to adjust the neutralizer. For safety you need to get boom locked up on the pins and wheels off ground. I can tell you that it is a pain in the a** to adjust. With out seeing your machine I can't help much more. Check that rods are straight, bushing in ends are free and lightly lubed. Clean all parts. Brake cleaner works on old grease and WD 40 is good also. If everything looks good then adjust the whole assembly on one side until there is no creep. Only loosen front and rear enough to tap forward or back. Your front may not have adjustment. My old l225 only moved about 1/32" and it was done. So move a little at a time. This needs to be done with machine running at idle. Read your service manual over and over. Good luck
Thank you so much Deapo for taking the time to flag the correct parts in those diagrams - very helpful and now i know exactly what to look at and the clamps seems secure. I have tightened one of the neutraliser shocks up as per the manual as it was a bit wobbly - however when tightening it up it doesnt seem to move and as the adjuster is on one side it seems to just be bending the neutraliser - i have cleaned it down and soaked everything in WD40. Also in the clamp itself the rubber bushing drives part # 8 seem to have deteriorated which is adding a small amount of play not enough to cause the creep i dont think - is it possible to just put some sealant in to reinforce these as they are $60 each and also i am not sure i want to take everything apart if the adjustment above works ?

deaop06

Thank you so much Deapo for taking the time to flag the correct parts in those diagrams - very helpful and now i know exactly what to look at and the clamps seems secure. I have tightened one of the neutraliser shocks up as per the manual as it was a bit wobbly - however when tightening it up it doesnt seem to move and as the adjuster is on one side it seems to just be bending the neutraliser - i have cleaned it down and soaked everything in WD40. Also in the clamp itself the rubber bushing drives part # 8 seem to have deteriorated which is adding a small amount of play not enough to cause the creep i dont think - is it possible to just put some sealant in to reinforce these as they are $60 each and also i am not sure i want to take everything apart if the adjustment above works ?
I did a little checking on the #8 bushing. There is a part# 265618 That fits the old l225, l445 and my l555. You might want to check a dealer to see if this part will fit a l455. NH used a lot of the same parts on different machines. This part is around $22.00 from dealer. Just a thought. I have brought back to life two of these machines and they are well built. I don't know if any sealant would fix the bushings. Just remember some of the parts on your machine are no longer available so treat them like gold. If I were working on this skid I would get it off ground and try to adjust the creep out. Tires will creep what ever way you bump stick. Adjust so it will stop. One side at a time. I don't your setup but the rear attach point should be slotted. Use a mirror to look at it. Manual may tell you to bump stick to adjust but I use a small hammer and punch. Just loosen bolt enough to move it. Won't take much. My l225 needed the slot lengthened forward as it was to short. With the creep gone I think your troubles will be gone. Remember you are running the machine at much higher speed when working. So a little problem at idle becomes a big problem at full speed. Remember to lock the boom up and be safe. You have to be patient to work on these skids.

OP
OP
N

NHL455

I did a little checking on the #8 bushing. There is a part# 265618 That fits the old l225, l445 and my l555. You might want to check a dealer to see if this part will fit a l455. NH used a lot of the same parts on different machines. This part is around $22.00 from dealer. Just a thought. I have brought back to life two of these machines and they are well built. I don't know if any sealant would fix the bushings. Just remember some of the parts on your machine are no longer available so treat them like gold. If I were working on this skid I would get it off ground and try to adjust the creep out. Tires will creep what ever way you bump stick. Adjust so it will stop. One side at a time. I don't your setup but the rear attach point should be slotted. Use a mirror to look at it. Manual may tell you to bump stick to adjust but I use a small hammer and punch. Just loosen bolt enough to move it. Won't take much. My l225 needed the slot lengthened forward as it was to short. With the creep gone I think your troubles will be gone. Remember you are running the machine at much higher speed when working. So a little problem at idle becomes a big problem at full speed. Remember to lock the boom up and be safe. You have to be patient to work on these skids.
Thanks Deapo i will try to check that part out you have listed - and yes i know what you mean especially in the UK these skidsteers are very rare - thats why i want to preserve this one but it is difficult to preserve every part as they have all been painted over and are rusty so its trying to just use enough force. Now i have tightened up the play in the shock the crrep seems to be just on left side and creeping backwards on that side now so i am going to put it up on axle stands tonight and try to nudge it back to neutral. I also need a fuel sender now but they are £120 UK Pounds so not sure if you know of any other models that have a similar set up sender - doesnt need to be 100% accurate just as long as it tells me when the fuel is low ?

deaop06

Thanks Deapo i will try to check that part out you have listed - and yes i know what you mean especially in the UK these skidsteers are very rare - thats why i want to preserve this one but it is difficult to preserve every part as they have all been painted over and are rusty so its trying to just use enough force. Now i have tightened up the play in the shock the crrep seems to be just on left side and creeping backwards on that side now so i am going to put it up on axle stands tonight and try to nudge it back to neutral. I also need a fuel sender now but they are £120 UK Pounds so not sure if you know of any other models that have a similar set up sender - doesnt need to be 100% accurate just as long as it tells me when the fuel is low ?
The fuel sender on my l555 was not working when I got it. Had to drop tank to replace seal between engine and transmission. Found broken wire to sender works good now. Check the ground and the hot wire to make sure they are ok. See if you have power to sender. Can you order from eBay or parts direct or would cost still be high for duty and shipping? I will check to see what I find out.

deaop06

The fuel sender on my l555 was not working when I got it. Had to drop tank to replace seal between engine and transmission. Found broken wire to sender works good now. Check the ground and the hot wire to make sure they are ok. See if you have power to sender. Can you order from eBay or parts direct or would cost still be high for duty and shipping? I will check to see what I find out.
I can't find a picture of the sending unit. Looks like you could find a universal fit unit. Is yours a 5 or 6 bolt top mount? All you need is one that will fit your tank. Depth and ohms. Most are 6 to 200 ohms and 6 to 16 " depth. Anything that will go in tank and be adjusted for depth would work. Just an idea.

Ivan

I bought a fuel guage and sending unit ina kit off Amazon for 18 or 20 dollars and it bolted right up to my tank on my L 553.I replace the guage as long as I had a new one

OP
OP
N

NHL455

I bought a fuel guage and sending unit ina kit off Amazon for 18 or 20 dollars and it bolted right up to my tank on my L 553.I replace the guage as long as I had a new one
ok thanks Ivan i will have a look on Amazon