Newbie has a question about an 863g

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

241chase

Hello to everyone. I stumbled across this forum a few weeks ago when I started looking for my first used skid steer. I must say that there is an abudance of information posted on this site. I just purchased a 2000 model 863g turbo with 1065 hours on it at an auction. I paid $12,500 for the machine, a 72" low profile bucket and the heavy duty pallet forks. The machine appears to have been well cared for. The tires are about 75%, the paint is original and only has a few rust spots, mostly on the lower front arms, and the engine starts effortlessly with no smoke. After getting it back home, it sat on my equipment trailer for 4 days and did not leak a single drop of oil or hydraulic fluid on the trailer decking. I would like to clean the engine and engine compartment with degreaser and a water hose (not a pressure washer). Is there anything that I need to do other than covering the alternator with a plastic bag? I don't want to damage anything by just trying to clean up the engine. The only thing that seems to need some attention on this machine are the locking pins on the bob-tach locking levers. They were hard to get loose and seem to be hard to lock back in place. Maybe after I wash these off and lubricate them they will work better. If not, I am taking the machine in to have all the fluids and filters changed next week and will have them look at this as well. Is there anything that I need to be cautious of with this model (other than friends and neighbors bugging me to do odd jobs for them for free)? Thanks in advance for your replies.

Tazza

Staff member
Congrats on your purchase, i'm sure you will be very happy with it.
You are rite with getting all the fluids and filters changed, thats exactly what i was going to tell you. As you don't know when they were last changed, its alaways a good starting point.
As for cleaning, i doubt a standard hose will have the pressure to do alot, but it all depends if the mess is dirt and oil and if there is alot of it etc. You may get away with it. One note, this is a turbo machine, you must NEVER spray water on the turbo when it is hot, so let it all cool before you do your cleaning. Also, after you give it a good run, let it ilde for 3-5 mins to let the turbo cool. If you just shut it down, it will have no oil flowing causuing the bearings or seals to be damaged (this won't happen from doing it once, but repeated abuse will)

skidsteer.ca

Congrats on your purchase, i'm sure you will be very happy with it.
You are rite with getting all the fluids and filters changed, thats exactly what i was going to tell you. As you don't know when they were last changed, its alaways a good starting point.
As for cleaning, i doubt a standard hose will have the pressure to do alot, but it all depends if the mess is dirt and oil and if there is alot of it etc. You may get away with it. One note, this is a turbo machine, you must NEVER spray water on the turbo when it is hot, so let it all cool before you do your cleaning. Also, after you give it a good run, let it ilde for 3-5 mins to let the turbo cool. If you just shut it down, it will have no oil flowing causuing the bearings or seals to be damaged (this won't happen from doing it once, but repeated abuse will)
I have pressure washed the engine and under seat area of my loaders many times and have had no trouble. They only grief I have heard about this causing wash on a "advance hands control" G series loader where the foot pedals can be switched to the steering levers electrically. A local tech told me water got into one of the electrical connectors and made the machine (temporarily) inoperable. With a manual linkage (standard foot and hand controls) you don't have to worry. There is a little red plastic vent in the middle of the chain case, I try to avoid spaying it directly. As for you quick attach levers beeing hard to move, many owners forget to gease the 2 zerks on each side of the quick attach, they lubricate the weges and help keep rust and dirt out of there. Look under the dirt they are there! I'm sure you will enjoy it. Ken

Eric

I have pressure washed the engine and under seat area of my loaders many times and have had no trouble. They only grief I have heard about this causing wash on a "advance hands control" G series loader where the foot pedals can be switched to the steering levers electrically. A local tech told me water got into one of the electrical connectors and made the machine (temporarily) inoperable. With a manual linkage (standard foot and hand controls) you don't have to worry. There is a little red plastic vent in the middle of the chain case, I try to avoid spaying it directly. As for you quick attach levers beeing hard to move, many owners forget to gease the 2 zerks on each side of the quick attach, they lubricate the weges and help keep rust and dirt out of there. Look under the dirt they are there! I'm sure you will enjoy it. Ken
I grease my quick attach levers about once a week or when needed and use wd-40 on them about every other day or when needed. I find that the grease alone doesnt lube them up enough for me. Thats where the wd-40 comes in. Plus when you only use grease on the pins, the upper portion never gets lubed. Theres moving parts up there that need some TLC as well. I spray wd-40 where the handle mounts and all over the tension spring that goes from the handle to the pin.
I cant stand to see bobcat operators beating there lever handles down with a hammer or a pipe. Just keep a can of wd-40 in the cab. DONE!

Eric

I grease my quick attach levers about once a week or when needed and use wd-40 on them about every other day or when needed. I find that the grease alone doesn't lube them up enough for me. Thats where the wd-40 comes in. Plus when you only use grease on the pins, the upper portion never gets lubed. Theres moving parts up there that need some TLC as well. I spray wd-40 where the handle mounts and all over the tension spring that goes from the handle to the pin.
I cant stand to see bobcat operators beating there lever handles down with a hammer or a pipe. Just keep a can of wd-40 in the cab. DONE!

OP
OP

241chase

I grease my quick attach levers about once a week or when needed and use wd-40 on them about every other day or when needed. I find that the grease alone doesn't lube them up enough for me. Thats where the wd-40 comes in. Plus when you only use grease on the pins, the upper portion never gets lubed. Theres moving parts up there that need some TLC as well. I spray wd-40 where the handle mounts and all over the tension spring that goes from the handle to the pin.
Thanks for the replies. I cleaned the machine up this past weekend. I was able to get a lot of mud and rust out of the bob-tach pins and greased the fittings. One lever now operates very easily with just one hand while the other lever moves but is still very stubborn. I am going to have them look at this while they are servicing the machine tomorrow. As for cleaning the engine, I was able to get most all of the built up dirt and grime off without any problems. I am pleased with how well it cleaned up and can't wait to start making money with this machine. Also, does anyone know of a good place to buy aftermarket cab enclosures for this 863? Thanks.

skidsteer.ca

Thanks for the replies. I cleaned the machine up this past weekend. I was able to get a lot of mud and rust out of the bob-tach pins and greased the fittings. One lever now operates very easily with just one hand while the other lever moves but is still very stubborn. I am going to have them look at this while they are servicing the machine tomorrow. As for cleaning the engine, I was able to get most all of the built up dirt and grime off without any problems. I am pleased with how well it cleaned up and can't wait to start making money with this machine. Also, does anyone know of a good place to buy aftermarket cab enclosures for this 863? Thanks.
I'm only aware of aftermarket tarp and plastic window inclosures. www.northernonline.com carries those as well as others. www.cabdepot.com makes "hard" cabs, but I don't see Bobcat listed in their skidsteer line If you find any others let us know Ken

Latest posts