New to SSF - Price help M-600 w/ BH

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

twinwillows

HI, I'm totally new to this site so please excuse me if this should go into another forum... I have a farm tractor (New Holland TC40DA) & am looking @ buying an older used bobcat w/backhoe & trailer from a friend for general light use around the farm. The skidsteer is a M-600 w/an aircoled Wisconsin gas engine (ukn HP). Approx 2000 hours. Diecent mechanical condition for an older machine. 2 buckets - 1 smooth cutting edge, 1 w/ teeth. Owner believes engine will likely need overhaul very soon. Package includes rear machine mounted outrigger (stabilizer for backhoe) and a Davis D-100 backhoe. Backhoe has sat for about 20 years so liklely will need new hoses along with main bottom bearing replaced & a cylinder recromed/replaced. Don't know the bucket width. Looked like 12 - 16" in photo but that's a guess. Trailer is a 3,000lb capacity tandem ax trailer w/surge brakes. Expanded metal decking under tires & open between. Trailer has also sat idle for a "long" time. Tires totally shot & will be replaced by seller. Seller in SW PA. The question is... what's this outfit worth offering for?? Any pricing help @ all would be appreciated.

sterlclan

I have seen similar set ups from around 2000 to as much as 5500 its hard to say without seeing it though. Welcome to the forum. Jeff

Tazza

Staff member
I have seen similar set ups from around 2000 to as much as 5500 its hard to say without seeing it though. Welcome to the forum. Jeff
The M600 machines don't sell for a great deal compaired to later hydrostatic models. If you believe it will need an engine soon you will have to factor that in too. I don't know what an engine would set you back to re-co or replace but i would suspect it would be a fair amount. The backhoe attachment would be worth a little too, but as you said it will need some work as it has been sitting. Has it been sitting inside? or out in the weather?. If it was out in the weather you will probably need to replace pins and the sticks on the cylinders as they will have developed rust. The hoses may still be ok, but i would doubt it and the tube lines may have rusted if it was outside.
Have a good look at it and see what they go for on e-bay and you will get an idea of what to offer, i'm sure he knows what he wants for it. I'd ask and see what he says then do a little research on e-bay and work from there.

OP
OP
T

twinwillows

Thanks for the welcome & comments guys. On the backhoe, it's been sitting outside for abt 20 yrs unoperated, somewhat under a tarp but that's not mucch protection in SW PA winters. The skidsteer spent quite a while outside under a tarp & the rest fo the time in a garage. Paint's pretty blotchy (I think that's a word). Trailer is down to primer & rust. The thing I'm wondering about is the cost for an engine overhaul on the skid steer & all the hyd repairs on the BH like hoses, cylinders, bushings/pins etc... I have not seen anything this old on e-bay in my looking but I'll keep @ it. Any advice you folks have to give regarding pricing would be welcome & appreciated.

sterlclan

Thanks for the welcome & comments guys. On the backhoe, it's been sitting outside for abt 20 yrs unoperated, somewhat under a tarp but that's not mucch protection in SW PA winters. The skidsteer spent quite a while outside under a tarp & the rest fo the time in a garage. Paint's pretty blotchy (I think that's a word). Trailer is down to primer & rust. The thing I'm wondering about is the cost for an engine overhaul on the skid steer & all the hyd repairs on the BH like hoses, cylinders, bushings/pins etc... I have not seen anything this old on e-bay in my looking but I'll keep @ it. Any advice you folks have to give regarding pricing would be welcome & appreciated.
rebuilt Wisconsin vh4d is about 2500 parts for the motor are available direct from continental engines or here http://wisconsinmotorscanada.ca/wpartsspecialpricing.html

bobbie-g

rebuilt Wisconsin vh4d is about 2500 parts for the motor are available direct from continental engines or here http://wisconsinmotorscanada.ca/wpartsspecialpricing.html
I was given a "free" backhoe for my Bobcat. The backhoe had previously been used with a skidsteer and was lying dormant in the weeds the past 15 years or so. All the cylinders had to be rebuilt, some replaced completely, and the valve arrangement totally rebuilt. Cost of the foregoing was $3000 (I had it done by a commercial shop). Then, we found the "main kingpin" was broken, and one of the valves was not holding. $1K to rebuild the large main knuckle with pin, and $300 to add another outboard valve which cured the creep in the main boom cylinder. So my free backhoe only cost about $4300. Which is not too bad for a nice backhoe with what I call outrigger hydraulic stabilizers (vice the ones that just jam staight down) and all new hoses and essentially brand new cylinders. But it sure wasn't free. :) ---Bob

Fishfiles

Not trying to be mean or anything , but my guess at what it is worth is nothing , and it wouldn't be a good deal if you got it for nothing , it's a money pit to throw good money into , it belongs in a museum or a metal scrap yard

Tazza

Staff member
Not trying to be mean or anything , but my guess at what it is worth is nothing , and it wouldn't be a good deal if you got it for nothing , it's a money pit to throw good money into , it belongs in a museum or a metal scrap yard
Depending on how bad the corrosion is, it may be worth the effort to fix if you have access to a lathe to make pins and new ram sticks. If you have to pay some one to do it the price will be insane. I just re-built my control block of a hoe i bought a few years back. Gave it a full set of seals that cost me all of $5-$10. A shop would have charged at least $100 as it took a while to fit the new seals. Ram sticks can be replaced easily but the control block spools are a little more difficult. If its rusted up its basically ready to be dumped unless you have access to a lathe and a tool post grinder and know what you are doing.
Everything can be fixed, it just depends on how much you are willing to spend.

OP
OP
T

twinwillows

Depending on how bad the corrosion is, it may be worth the effort to fix if you have access to a lathe to make pins and new ram sticks. If you have to pay some one to do it the price will be insane. I just re-built my control block of a hoe i bought a few years back. Gave it a full set of seals that cost me all of $5-$10. A shop would have charged at least $100 as it took a while to fit the new seals. Ram sticks can be replaced easily but the control block spools are a little more difficult. If its rusted up its basically ready to be dumped unless you have access to a lathe and a tool post grinder and know what you are doing.
Everything can be fixed, it just depends on how much you are willing to spend.
I really appreciate your time to read & offer opinions. I was wondering about the "money pit" likelyhood especially on the BH since it's been outside so long & unoperated. You all have given me something to really chew on.. I'm leaning towards passing on this unit & just staying with our tractor / loader & renting a backhoe when we need one..
Thanks again! I like this forum..

Tazza

Staff member
I really appreciate your time to read & offer opinions. I was wondering about the "money pit" likelyhood especially on the BH since it's been outside so long & unoperated. You all have given me something to really chew on.. I'm leaning towards passing on this unit & just staying with our tractor / loader & renting a backhoe when we need one..
Thanks again! I like this forum..
If you believe you can do the work your self it may be a good buy, but if not i would stay away. It will cost a fortune to get a machine shop to do the work needed to get it going again if tis as bad as i suspect it is.
Don't give up, keep looking around. When you get a skid steer and a hoe, you will never look back! The work i have done with my skid steer is totally amazing. Its not the cost saving, its the fact its so handy. No waiting for someone to come over to do the job. Jump in and do it your self.