New to me 610

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

NoDak Ninja

Hi everyone. I'm a probable 1st time skid steer owner. I say "probable" because I am just test-driving it now (M-610), but I'm pretty certain that I will buy it. I've already found the links to the manuals that members here have posted. A collective "thank you!" for that. Does anyone have advice for me on things to look at on this machine before purchasing? Any common problems I should watch out for? One question I have; does anyone have info/advice on LP engines? This 610 has what appears to be the original Wisconsin engine in it, but it has been converted to LP at some point in the past. I have zero experience with LP engines. Is there anything special I need to know, or are they identical other than the carburetor? -Mike

OP
OP
N

NoDak Ninja

Also; I'm curious what year it is. I know hours are more important than the year, but I'd like to know the year just to satisfy my curiosity. Is there a way to get the Mfg date from the SN? SN is: 209688

flyerdan

Also; I'm curious what year it is. I know hours are more important than the year, but I'd like to know the year just to satisfy my curiosity. Is there a way to get the Mfg date from the SN? SN is: 209688
Propane is pretty much the same engine, it might have a different timing setting, but I'm not sure on that.
Advantages are: they start easier, won't flood, oil stays cleaner and plugs last longer.
Disadvantages are: You can't just add fuel from a can, fuel consumption is a bit higher.
The location of your nearest filling station could be a factor; if it's not convenient and you're going through a lot of fuel, that could be a problem. It would be advisable to pick up a spare tank if you can buy one right, the propane won't go bad with age like the corn gas will.
My forklift runs on propane, I haven't had any issues, and I have a gas station just up the road that fills tanks.
The Melroe owners facebook group might be able to help with the year, there are a lot of 500-600 series owners there.

bobbie-g

Propane is pretty much the same engine, it might have a different timing setting, but I'm not sure on that.
Advantages are: they start easier, won't flood, oil stays cleaner and plugs last longer.
Disadvantages are: You can't just add fuel from a can, fuel consumption is a bit higher.
The location of your nearest filling station could be a factor; if it's not convenient and you're going through a lot of fuel, that could be a problem. It would be advisable to pick up a spare tank if you can buy one right, the propane won't go bad with age like the corn gas will.
My forklift runs on propane, I haven't had any issues, and I have a gas station just up the road that fills tanks.
The Melroe owners facebook group might be able to help with the year, there are a lot of 500-600 series owners there.
To find the year your Bobcat was made, poke around on www.bobcat.com I typed into the search box "what year is my Bobcat" and got a pointer to the FAQ section, also to the cust svc number 888-743-4340. :) ---Bobbie-G

OP
OP
N

NoDak Ninja

thanks, flyerdan. I don't have a super-convenient place to fill propane, but it does come with 2 tanks so it shouldn't be too big of an issue. I think overall I will like the propane. One more thing that can be a benefit (as you no doubt know from your forklift); propane is much better for indoor use. I will check out the Melroe group on FB. Thanks!

OP
OP
N

NoDak Ninja

thanks, flyerdan. I don't have a super-convenient place to fill propane, but it does come with 2 tanks so it shouldn't be too big of an issue. I think overall I will like the propane. One more thing that can be a benefit (as you no doubt know from your forklift); propane is much better for indoor use. I will check out the Melroe group on FB. Thanks!
Bobbie; thanks for the tip about Bobcat.com. I found the section you talked about and have my request for mfg. date in with BC. Thanks!