New owner with mustang 1700 (owatonna)

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Canada_Ranger

Good evening guys As stated in the title ive just picked up a mustang 1700 (owatonna , omc , john deere 170) lol skid steer , I have a few question about this machine and anybody with any info would help me alot I bought the manual but seem to be missing alot of info that even google can't seem to help me with . So here it goes : - mine has the diesel version , but i can only seem to find info on gas ones , so my question would be does anyone know what the darn engine is in this thing ? I was told it was yanmar but im pretty sure its not and then Read About perkins but cant seem to find anything that looks looks like it ( valvecover oil fill spot is at a diffrent spot ) also cant seem to find any markings on the block - second question is parts , john deere ( in canada) seem to tell me that almost every part is discontinued , so my question would be is there any place or anybody that knows of the parts being available .( im having problem with the clutches for the steering one side both sets are baked and need to be replaced , i've gotten quotes and just to reline my old discs is 70$ each ???? Again any info would be great , as the manual i have is all for the gas and doesnt seem to have any talk about general maintenance ( oil for engine , coolant, etc...)

bronko

I recently purchased a JD 170 and found out the clutch packs need to be replaced. Has anyone done this before and what kind of effort is it?

OP
OP
C

Canada_Ranger

I recently purchased a JD 170 and found out the clutch packs need to be replaced. Has anyone done this before and what kind of effort is it?
If you buy the tech manual it will give you all the info need to put them apart (Block up machine , revome wheels , remove 2 big nuts that support clutchs , then remove the cover with 28 nuts on it , and voila thw clutches are there , took about 15mins to remove the clutches , finding the friction disks for a good price is tricky ( in canada anyways )

bronko

If you buy the tech manual it will give you all the info need to put them apart (Block up machine , revome wheels , remove 2 big nuts that support clutchs , then remove the cover with 28 nuts on it , and voila thw clutches are there , took about 15mins to remove the clutches , finding the friction disks for a good price is tricky ( in canada anyways )
Canada Ranger, thanks for your thoughts on the effort required to access and rebuild the clutches. I have a service manual ordered for the machine. It sounds like it is something I can do.

bronko

I found that the site www.tribco.com has clutch packs for my JD 170. The part number is JD600. Parts are also still available from John Deere for the unit. Hope this helps you.

what66

I found that the site www.tribco.com has clutch packs for my JD 170. The part number is JD600. Parts are also still available from John Deere for the unit. Hope this helps you.
The Jd600 clutch disc work great in the 1700 I had to replace almost all my clutches don't forget the steels ZZ-JD-600. www.tribco.com is a great company I would take off the sides and check your discs and steels.

keesling1

The Jd600 clutch disc work great in the 1700 I had to replace almost all my clutches don't forget the steels ZZ-JD-600. www.tribco.com is a great company I would take off the sides and check your discs and steels.
i have a nice 1700 with heated cab,bucket,snow plow and forks. only problem is my gear box for the variable drive is bad and the hyd drive pulley has ran loose,worn so it wobble and vibrates. have tried all summer to find parts no luck. hoping someone somewhere has a doner machine and is willing to sell me what i need. i also have a spare engine( v4 ford lp) set of clutches and other misc parts. if you are looking for service manual, i got mine from jensales in manchester mn. they specialize in repo manuals for all kinds of equipment. please reply or call me if you have parts or are interested in what i have. ps i live right by where these were made, so i have a prototype finishing mower for the 1700 that was never put into production. ken@ 507-383-4392

OP
OP
C

Canada_Ranger

i have a nice 1700 with heated cab,bucket,snow plow and forks. only problem is my gear box for the variable drive is bad and the hyd drive pulley has ran loose,worn so it wobble and vibrates. have tried all summer to find parts no luck. hoping someone somewhere has a doner machine and is willing to sell me what i need. i also have a spare engine( v4 ford lp) set of clutches and other misc parts. if you are looking for service manual, i got mine from jensales in manchester mn. they specialize in repo manuals for all kinds of equipment. please reply or call me if you have parts or are interested in what i have. ps i live right by where these were made, so i have a prototype finishing mower for the 1700 that was never put into production. ken@ 507-383-4392
I would for sure be interested in the clutches and talk about what other parts you have , I just cant figure out how to send private messages on this board !!

what66

I would for sure be interested in the clutches and talk about what other parts you have , I just cant figure out how to send private messages on this board !!
Hi, there I have one of these the john deere 170 is almost the same machine many of the parts are the same. There are clutches available from http://www.tribco.com/PartsList.php?Make=John%20Deere you want part number jd600 and don't forget the steels call them they can help the clutches are $35 each and the steels are $8 there are 12 of each on each side. You can get a parts manual at jensales for the 1700,they have a manual for the john deere 170 thats almost the same let me know if you need anything eles good luck.

Rezmotorcycle

I know this is an old thread but I am having the same issue with the drive box for the 1700 mustang did you ever find one?