Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

pro70z28

I purchased an MT-50 awhile back. I bought it used with 232 hours on it. It's got about 255 hours on it now. I did some quick reading and noticed a thread about loose motor mount bolts on an MT-52. Does the MT-50 have the same tendency? I have a 1 man sign shop and the mini track loader is a great hired man. Glad to be here.

skidsteer.ca

No idea if its a trend or a isolated incedent, would not hurt to check them for tightness. Is the engine visable or tough to get at in those units?
Have never seen one in person, just curious.
There are a couple people on here that work at dealers , so you may here from them
Ken

OP
OP
P

pro70z28

No idea if its a trend or a isolated incedent, would not hurt to check them for tightness. Is the engine visable or tough to get at in those units?
Have never seen one in person, just curious.
There are a couple people on here that work at dealers , so you may here from them
Ken
The one on the exhaust side is easy to get at. The one on the starter side is buried somewhat. I'll check them out. I had a little problem today on the job. The engine died out a few times. I thought it was low on fuel (it was almost empty) so I dumped in about 5 gal. It still did the same thing. Any ideas? My first thought was maybe it has a plugged fuel filter? I was just finishing up for the day, so I just loaded it back on the trailer. Would it act like that if I ran it low on fuel and it sucked air into the fuel line? (This is my first diesel engine). It still died out a couple times after refueling. To be more specific it dies out...... then comes back to life just before it stops completely. Runs for a few minutes and then does it again.

Tazza

Staff member
The one on the exhaust side is easy to get at. The one on the starter side is buried somewhat. I'll check them out. I had a little problem today on the job. The engine died out a few times. I thought it was low on fuel (it was almost empty) so I dumped in about 5 gal. It still did the same thing. Any ideas? My first thought was maybe it has a plugged fuel filter? I was just finishing up for the day, so I just loaded it back on the trailer. Would it act like that if I ran it low on fuel and it sucked air into the fuel line? (This is my first diesel engine). It still died out a couple times after refueling. To be more specific it dies out...... then comes back to life just before it stops completely. Runs for a few minutes and then does it again.
I have found when a diesel has swallowed air, it will run and just slow and die. re-prime and it will run. Generally only one prime is needed and it should run fine, rough to begin with then will run smooth. It shouldn't run then bog down and almost stall then recover, it does sound like a fuel suply problem. It wouldn't hurt to change the fuel filter, they are cheap.

Tazza

Staff member
I have found when a diesel has swallowed air, it will run and just slow and die. re-prime and it will run. Generally only one prime is needed and it should run fine, rough to begin with then will run smooth. It shouldn't run then bog down and almost stall then recover, it does sound like a fuel suply problem. It wouldn't hurt to change the fuel filter, they are cheap.
One thing to also check, i'm not sure of the engine you have but my Kubota has a bleed screw on the injector pump where the fuel goes in. You open this and squeeze the primer bulb to prime the system. If this bleed screw is not screwed back in, the engine will run and simply die. Make sure its screwed down, if not its letting fuel by-pass back to the fuel tank which will basically starve the injector pump and cause erratic engine running.

OP
OP
P

pro70z28

One thing to also check, i'm not sure of the engine you have but my Kubota has a bleed screw on the injector pump where the fuel goes in. You open this and squeeze the primer bulb to prime the system. If this bleed screw is not screwed back in, the engine will run and simply die. Make sure its screwed down, if not its letting fuel by-pass back to the fuel tank which will basically starve the injector pump and cause erratic engine running.
I'll check that out. thanks Tazza. Mine's a Kubota also.

skidsteer.ca

I'll check that out. thanks Tazza. Mine's a Kubota also.
Sounds like a fuel delivery problem, usually that and air filters is all that bothers a diesel.
Not sure what your engine uses for a lift pump (fuel pump that feeds the injection pump) but that can cause a erradic running engine as can air leaking into the fuel system.
Usually a fuel filter just slowly gets worse and is most noticable under heavy loads. Engine lacks power do to shortage of fuel getting through the filter to engine.
But change filter anyway.
If that don't help remove the fuel return line from the engine to the tank (most all diesels have one, but this is not a garantee the mt50 will) submerse the end of the line in a bucket of fuel start the engine and look for any air bubbles coming from the return line. If there is any air you need to find where the air is getting into the fuel system and corect the problem
Regards
Ken

Fishfiles

The motor mounts bolts are not to easy to get at as stated , I have pulled the motors out of 3 of the MT 52's so far, if a remember right a 3/4 impact swivel socket with a long extension and an impact is the way to go ------ what I wanted to relate to you is how all 3 motors were blown , so you can remedy the problem before it bites you , bent rods caused by ingesting water in the motor was the cause of all three failures , the air inlet tube going into the air cleaner assembly needs to be cut on that machine as it hangs down in the engine compartment very low and if the machine is run thru water it will suck it up , also seen a local rental yards guy pressure washed the machine with engine running and it sucked up water and bent the rod , the first one I did the rebuild in frame and it had a couple of oil pan bolts that were hard to get out but possible , if the frame would have been cut another 1" it would have been alot easier , taking the motor out wasn't too bad except for getting to the motor mount bolts ------as far as your fuel problem I'd dump the filter in a clean container and see what you get out of it , probally your problem is the filter , do you fill up from cans or drums as this could be how it got contaminated , could also be the fuel pickup tube in the tank clogged up , usually the primer bulb will suck in when this happens , also seen dirt get clogged up in the check valve of the primer bulb , good luck

OP
OP
P

pro70z28

The motor mounts bolts are not to easy to get at as stated , I have pulled the motors out of 3 of the MT 52's so far, if a remember right a 3/4 impact swivel socket with a long extension and an impact is the way to go ------ what I wanted to relate to you is how all 3 motors were blown , so you can remedy the problem before it bites you , bent rods caused by ingesting water in the motor was the cause of all three failures , the air inlet tube going into the air cleaner assembly needs to be cut on that machine as it hangs down in the engine compartment very low and if the machine is run thru water it will suck it up , also seen a local rental yards guy pressure washed the machine with engine running and it sucked up water and bent the rod , the first one I did the rebuild in frame and it had a couple of oil pan bolts that were hard to get out but possible , if the frame would have been cut another 1" it would have been alot easier , taking the motor out wasn't too bad except for getting to the motor mount bolts ------as far as your fuel problem I'd dump the filter in a clean container and see what you get out of it , probally your problem is the filter , do you fill up from cans or drums as this could be how it got contaminated , could also be the fuel pickup tube in the tank clogged up , usually the primer bulb will suck in when this happens , also seen dirt get clogged up in the check valve of the primer bulb , good luck
I took it off the trailer today to do some lifting around the shop. It almost died a couple times getting it off the trailer and 2 -3 minutes later it did it one more time. Then the rest of the day it ran without a problem. Could it be I got air in the fuel lines because I let the fuel level get too low. I may still change the fuel filter since I just bought this machine a few months ago and have only put about 20 hours on it. Might not be a bad idea maybe to give it a good once over. oil change, filters, etc. The dealer said he went through it, but .............? Thanks for the suggestions. I will check into that air cleaner inlet. Thanks for the tip.

Tazza

Staff member
I took it off the trailer today to do some lifting around the shop. It almost died a couple times getting it off the trailer and 2 -3 minutes later it did it one more time. Then the rest of the day it ran without a problem. Could it be I got air in the fuel lines because I let the fuel level get too low. I may still change the fuel filter since I just bought this machine a few months ago and have only put about 20 hours on it. Might not be a bad idea maybe to give it a good once over. oil change, filters, etc. The dealer said he went through it, but .............? Thanks for the suggestions. I will check into that air cleaner inlet. Thanks for the tip.
I'd start with filters.
As someone else did point out it could be a problem with the pick up tube in the tank. These can split with age or the one way valve at the end could be gunked up. Attaching clear plastic tubing between the lift pump and the injector pump wouldn't be a bad idea. If you see and bubbles after the line has been purged you have a leak between the tank and the pump. This could be as simple as a loose hose clamp or a crack in a hose.