New member... help choosing skid steer

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

johnstra

Hi all. I'll be purchasing a new to me skid steer for snow blowing. I live at 9000 in CO and need the ability to keep my roads open. I'll be putting either a Loftness or an Erskine blower on. I'm trying to decide between 3 different machines. A John Deere 317 w/ only 102 hours on it, a Cat 228 High Flow with 1400 hours on it, and a cat 246 w/ 1700 hours on it. I was all set to pull the trigger on the Cat 228 to get the high flow for snow blowing, but somebody cautioned me that it might be hard to resale a high flow machine. I'm looking for suggestions and advise to help decide which of these machines to buy. Thanks in advance for your feedback. Thanks, -john

primebeef

Shhhh Don't let bobcat_ron hear this, I think the JD would be good for you. With only 102 hours. All of these have inclosed cab and heat right? What other options? Price? I never heard of a high flow machine being harder to resale. Did you look at any bobcats yet?

Tazza

Staff member
Shhhh Don't let bobcat_ron hear this, I think the JD would be good for you. With only 102 hours. All of these have inclosed cab and heat right? What other options? Price? I never heard of a high flow machine being harder to resale. Did you look at any bobcats yet?
LOL Bobcat_Ron, Bobcat_Ron quick read this post!
I'm sure he will make you aware of his *love* of JD skidsteers.
You really should check out the features of the machines and use them against the other dealers to squeeze them for a better price. I'm still partial to Bobcat as their service is amazing. No information is held back, they are happy for you to do your own work and they will even tell you what to do.
Good luck with your purchase.

OP
OP
J

johnstra

LOL Bobcat_Ron, Bobcat_Ron quick read this post!
I'm sure he will make you aware of his *love* of JD skidsteers.
You really should check out the features of the machines and use them against the other dealers to squeeze them for a better price. I'm still partial to Bobcat as their service is amazing. No information is held back, they are happy for you to do your own work and they will even tell you what to do.
Good luck with your purchase.
You know, I wondered why every post in this forum was for Bobcat. I didn't notice I'd posted my question in the Bobcat section. Sorry about that guys. I'd be happy to buy a Bobcat but around here the Bobcat dealer doesn't really want to talk about used sales. The other dealers are much more helpful. Thanks, -john

primebeef

You know, I wondered why every post in this forum was for Bobcat. I didn't notice I'd posted my question in the Bobcat section. Sorry about that guys. I'd be happy to buy a Bobcat but around here the Bobcat dealer doesn't really want to talk about used sales. The other dealers are much more helpful. Thanks, -john
We can't post pics on this site can we? If we can tell me I have some pics for bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron

We can't post pics on this site can we? If we can tell me I have some pics for bobcat_ron
The CAT's are a better deal, as well as resale value, look at the resale values of their heavier equipment versus the competition's values, big difference. Also, due to your winter conditions, if you look around in this forum, there was a member who had an issue with jump starting a dead JD and he needed to lift the loader up to start it, Bobcat, CAT and everyone else's machines batteries can be accessed from the rear provided you didn't park it up against a wall. I would pick a used CAT over a used Bobcat any day even if money was an issue, CAT just seems to take better care of their used equipment. John Deere isn't remotely an option, even if it was 80% cheaper, came with free diesel for 3 years and a real sexy girl who'd do anything for me (and I mean ANYTHING) who was thrown into the package deal, I'd still turn the deal down.

Tazza

Staff member
The CAT's are a better deal, as well as resale value, look at the resale values of their heavier equipment versus the competition's values, big difference. Also, due to your winter conditions, if you look around in this forum, there was a member who had an issue with jump starting a dead JD and he needed to lift the loader up to start it, Bobcat, CAT and everyone else's machines batteries can be accessed from the rear provided you didn't park it up against a wall. I would pick a used CAT over a used Bobcat any day even if money was an issue, CAT just seems to take better care of their used equipment. John Deere isn't remotely an option, even if it was 80% cheaper, came with free diesel for 3 years and a real sexy girl who'd do anything for me (and I mean ANYTHING) who was thrown into the package deal, I'd still turn the deal down.
LOL
Sorry, if i was handed that deal i'd have to take the JD, you would never speak to me again but if its the price i have to pay, so be it :)
Over here i see very few JD machines. The market seems to be dominated by Bobcat and Toyota. I do see the odd New holland but i do see a few Case machines, the yellow helps make them stand out!

Latest posts