new holland vs case vs all others

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jsinpa

So I bought a 2001 new holland LS180 in Jan of 2012 and the machine has been good for me, for what I do. i don't put a lot of hours a year on a machine...general uses for me are some dirt work and grading of stone driveway, etc, but mostly for snow removal and also for moving heavy crates of glass, some weighting 2000lbs when needed. I've only put close to 300 hours on the machine since I've had it. The biggest reason for me wanting to get another one is I'd like to get not only a newer machine but also one with cab and heat..especially with as cold as it has been this winter!!! I've read so many reviews on machines, that my head is going to spin. The same place i got my new holland from also sells case...I have used almost all brands out there at some point or another for things here and there..At least around me, the breakdown is landscapers use Bobcats, farmers are into the new hollands, and excavators and demo contractors are split between Cat, not as many case anymore, and new hollands along with some bobcats...i know the discussions on which is better or what not is like beating a dead horse and I know it comes down to personal preference and the biggest thing is, dealer support. As much as I'd love to have a newer machine, I can't justify spending the big $$$ on one. Dealer support is great around here for Bobcat, New Holland, Case, Cat...basically all the brands to be honest. So, I'm looking for opinions on a good overall use machine for the following uses: 1) some dirt and stone work 2) unloading of heavy crates (can be as big as 8' wide x 7' high and yes I have had to have people stay on the sides to guide me when moving this size, but does the job) or pallets and moving to necessary, lets say at least 2000lbs or more...and this needs to be precision where you are unloading out of a box truck or off a flat bed and no bouncing while turning at a stand still with the weight 3) snow removal using a protech 8' box pusher and the bucket for clean up 4) general overall use 5) also one that has good stability on hills and different terrain. its not just flat land around here I've been looking at the NH Ls185.B's, NH L185's, bobcat S205, S250, S300, and have a chance at a 2007 Case 430 with only 1200hrs...For some reason, the price is better and lower on that Case than on similar NH and Bobcat machines which are most $$ with more hours. I'm kind of in a flux right now with all this, so any help would be appreciated.

Tazza

Staff member
I can't remember hearing anything bad about them.
As you already know, you need to be very careful moving heavy items with forks, any bouncing when you are close to the tipping rating of the machine can cause you to loose the load you are carrying.
I'm still partial to Bobcat, they have excellent availability of spare parts, but generally for a price....

OP
OP
J

jsinpa

I can't remember hearing anything bad about them.
As you already know, you need to be very careful moving heavy items with forks, any bouncing when you are close to the tipping rating of the machine can cause you to loose the load you are carrying.
I'm still partial to Bobcat, they have excellent availability of spare parts, but generally for a price....
Tazza, thanks for the input. I was under the impression that the bouncing comes from wheel base size more so than how close you are to the tipping load. I've read in these forums and others where people have said some of the machines will lift quite a bit more than what the rating is listed on the machine. Is the bobcat S250 a radial lift or vertical?

Tazza

Staff member
Tazza, thanks for the input. I was under the impression that the bouncing comes from wheel base size more so than how close you are to the tipping load. I've read in these forums and others where people have said some of the machines will lift quite a bit more than what the rating is listed on the machine. Is the bobcat S250 a radial lift or vertical?
They will indeed lift more than they are rated to, about twice that, but you never want to lift anything high when close to the tipping load, it can over balance and when it does, it comes down FAST. Trust me, i have done it.
An S250 is a vertical lift machine, very powerful too.
The wheel base will make it bounce more, but i think the tyres will make it worse too. Even more so when turning as they flex from side to side.
Which ever way you go, be careful. You mention you move glass, that is one thing i wouldn't want to drop :)

OP
OP
J

jsinpa

They will indeed lift more than they are rated to, about twice that, but you never want to lift anything high when close to the tipping load, it can over balance and when it does, it comes down FAST. Trust me, i have done it.
An S250 is a vertical lift machine, very powerful too.
The wheel base will make it bounce more, but i think the tyres will make it worse too. Even more so when turning as they flex from side to side.
Which ever way you go, be careful. You mention you move glass, that is one thing i wouldn't want to drop :)
thanks for the input...well, i haven't dropped any yet, which is probably why I only let myself move it in my machine rather than anyone else do it...

kecamml

So I bought a 2001 new holland LS180 in Jan of 2012 and the machine has been good for me, for what I do. i don't put a lot of hours a year on a machine...general uses for me are some dirt work and grading of stone driveway, etc, but mostly for snow removal and also for moving heavy crates of glass, some weighting 2000lbs when needed. I've only put close to 300 hours on the machine since I've had it. The biggest reason for me wanting to get another one is I'd like to get not only a newer machine but also one with cab and heat..especially with as cold as it has been this winter!!! I've read so many reviews on machines, that my head is going to spin. The same place i got my new holland from also sells case...I have used almost all brands out there at some point or another for things here and there..At least around me, the breakdown is landscapers use Bobcats, farmers are into the new hollands, and excavators and demo contractors are split between Cat, not as many case anymore, and new hollands along with some bobcats...i know the discussions on which is better or what not is like beating a dead horse and I know it comes down to personal preference and the biggest thing is, dealer support. As much as I'd love to have a newer machine, I can't justify spending the big $$$ on one. Dealer support is great around here for Bobcat, New Holland, Case, Cat...basically all the brands to be honest. So, I'm looking for opinions on a good overall use machine for the following uses: 1) some dirt and stone work 2) unloading of heavy crates (can be as big as 8' wide x 7' high and yes I have had to have people stay on the sides to guide me when moving this size, but does the job) or pallets and moving to necessary, lets say at least 2000lbs or more...and this needs to be precision where you are unloading out of a box truck or off a flat bed and no bouncing while turning at a stand still with the weight 3) snow removal using a protech 8' box pusher and the bucket for clean up 4) general overall use 5) also one that has good stability on hills and different terrain. its not just flat land around here I've been looking at the NH Ls185.B's, NH L185's, bobcat S205, S250, S300, and have a chance at a 2007 Case 430 with only 1200hrs...For some reason, the price is better and lower on that Case than on similar NH and Bobcat machines which are most $$ with more hours. I'm kind of in a flux right now with all this, so any help would be appreciated.
I like my Case 1840

jhmeg2

lets revive this thread shall we...

I have a Bobcat 642b. a smaller gas skidsteer, 32hp. open, no heat, and it was -40 wind chill here today. I was having issues with it not running. I finnaly took out the fuel tank, blew out the fuel lines and put the tank back in, and it runs. Thank all for the help! Well, I am looking at newer skidsteers, maybe enclosed with heat. I don't want to spent $30k but my hands are burning with pain from the cold and I can;t do this for 30 more years. Found a 2012 T190 for $35k w/ 2100hrs, but that seems a bit much. A 2011 Cat 226b2 w/ 2100hrs for $30k, and a 2008 New Holland L185 w/ 2200hrs for $29k. Whats the better machine and price? I am going to post this in my fuel problem thread as well. Thanks

mrbb

lets revive this thread shall we...

I have a Bobcat 642b. a smaller gas skidsteer, 32hp. open, no heat, and it was -40 wind chill here today. I was having issues with it not running. I finnaly took out the fuel tank, blew out the fuel lines and put the tank back in, and it runs. Thank all for the help! Well, I am looking at newer skidsteers, maybe enclosed with heat. I don't want to spent $30k but my hands are burning with pain from the cold and I can;t do this for 30 more years. Found a 2012 T190 for $35k w/ 2100hrs, but that seems a bit much. A 2011 Cat 226b2 w/ 2100hrs for $30k, and a 2008 New Holland L185 w/ 2200hrs for $29k. Whats the better machine and price? I am going to post this in my fuel problem thread as well. Thanks
the better idea might be to start a NEW thread on the machines your considering and not pollute another thread with things not really pertaining to the topic at hand!
that way you will get new eyes on the topic you want info on,
and that will then get you the best chance for the most accurate info and help for you!

foton

since you are looking at used machines I think what you should be looking at is maintence records and overall condition( some people can tear stuff quickly) ,access to a repair service and parts not so much brands , I know everone has their favorites. But anything can be a lemon plus misuse to make it worse.

thedassler

I agree with Foton, any machine no mater how great can be worn out with abuse. That said, I have a Bobcat t190, and love it. A friend has a much newer Kobota with joystick controls and I will say the door on the Kobota is better (slides up inside)... OK, its a much newer machine so lots of features are nicer, but I still would not trade my Bobcat. Good luck with your ventures, stay warm and Happy Holidays.

tebger

If you like your machine maybe look into a cab enclosure/heater kit. I have a mid 90's John Deere/New Holland and after my first winter plowing snow with it I spent $1500 for the kit back when it was a few years old. It was money well spent and I've been using it for over 20 years. I look at the prices of machines now days and am very content with my old trouble free rig. At 20 years old you may not be able to buy kit anymore. The down side is that the loader has to all down or up to open the door. The door is easy off and even without it the heater and side glass helps a lot.