New Holland L785

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

1fatcat

Hello everyone, I just have a few questions about a NH L785 that I just purchased. 1, is there any online sites that sell skid steer parts such as pins, bushings, engine parts, and hydrolic system parts? 2, how do I find out for sure what year it is? I was told a 1991?. 3, Does anyone know of a NH forum? Not trying to cause any hard feelings here, this is a GREAT site....it's just that I feel like a Ford guy asking a group of Mr. Goodwrenches what they think is wrong with my Pinto. LOL ;) Thanks for looking fellas. Scott

Tigerotor77W

All I can do for you is give a generic answer to 2 and 3, because I have no idea for 1. 2: You may be able to find the product's serial number tag, at which point you could ask a dealer. The year informatio may be on the tag; not sure. How many tilt cylinders do you have? 3: I don't know of any, but the best bet is to head to www.tractorbynet.com They have a construction equipment section and a NH section. Good luck.

OP
OP

1fatcat

All I can do for you is give a generic answer to 2 and 3, because I have no idea for 1. 2: You may be able to find the product's serial number tag, at which point you could ask a dealer. The year informatio may be on the tag; not sure. How many tilt cylinders do you have? 3: I don't know of any, but the best bet is to head to www.tractorbynet.com They have a construction equipment section and a NH section. Good luck.
I have two tilt cylinders on this machine. I'm assuming that tilt cylinders are the ones that opperate the bucket and not the boom? Because I do not know the technical names of the cylinders as per there location on the maching. But at any rate, there are two on the bucket and two on the boom.

Tigerotor77W

I have two tilt cylinders on this machine. I'm assuming that tilt cylinders are the ones that opperate the bucket and not the boom? Because I do not know the technical names of the cylinders as per there location on the maching. But at any rate, there are two on the bucket and two on the boom.
Yup, you got it. Tilt cylinders control the motion/rotation of the bucket; lift cylinders, the boom arms. Most skid steers now have two and two. Some have one and one (current JCB); others, one and two (early JCB, some Bobcat). Two tilt on the 785s means it's a 1989+ machine... so I'd expected sometime after 1990. The L785 was phased out in 1994, when NH released its Lx885/865 to replace it. Were you able to find out the answers to the rest of your questions?

OP
OP

1fatcat

Yup, you got it. Tilt cylinders control the motion/rotation of the bucket; lift cylinders, the boom arms. Most skid steers now have two and two. Some have one and one (current JCB); others, one and two (early JCB, some Bobcat). Two tilt on the 785s means it's a 1989+ machine... so I'd expected sometime after 1990. The L785 was phased out in 1994, when NH released its Lx885/865 to replace it. Were you able to find out the answers to the rest of your questions?
Thanks for the reply:) I was not able to find any sites that sell parts yet, but I did look at "tractorbynet". It looks like a nice site and all, but they seem to focus more on tractors than skid steers.:( I guess it's going to take a few more years before skid steer sites become as abundant as car sites....there seem to be car sites for anything you can think of. Any suggestions on where to buy a shop manual and operators manual for an L785? Would I be best to go to the local dealer? Or ebay? Another thing while I got you thinking, the machine makes a terrible noise when turning. Nice and quiet when driving straight, but pretty noisy when turning. I know that there is more noise to be expected when turning by design of the hydrolics, but this is beyond normal...something is wrong. Any ideas? Anything I can check and answer questions to give you a better idea? I have checked ALL fluid levels and they are ALL nice and clean and full. Thanks, Scott

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks for the reply:) I was not able to find any sites that sell parts yet, but I did look at "tractorbynet". It looks like a nice site and all, but they seem to focus more on tractors than skid steers.:( I guess it's going to take a few more years before skid steer sites become as abundant as car sites....there seem to be car sites for anything you can think of. Any suggestions on where to buy a shop manual and operators manual for an L785? Would I be best to go to the local dealer? Or ebay? Another thing while I got you thinking, the machine makes a terrible noise when turning. Nice and quiet when driving straight, but pretty noisy when turning. I know that there is more noise to be expected when turning by design of the hydrolics, but this is beyond normal...something is wrong. Any ideas? Anything I can check and answer questions to give you a better idea? I have checked ALL fluid levels and they are ALL nice and clean and full. Thanks, Scott
Have you replaced the filters too?
Does it still have pleanty of power while turning or does it struggle? as there should be a second filter in your hydrostatic system somewhere. It may be blocked causing the hydrostatic pump to starve for oil and makes it squeel, feel terrible and heat up fast. To find this filter i do recommend you call your local dealer and ask if it has more than 1 filter and where it is located. I would bet that filter has never been replaced or cleaned, so it would pay to do it.

OP
OP

1fatcat

Have you replaced the filters too?
Does it still have pleanty of power while turning or does it struggle? as there should be a second filter in your hydrostatic system somewhere. It may be blocked causing the hydrostatic pump to starve for oil and makes it squeel, feel terrible and heat up fast. To find this filter i do recommend you call your local dealer and ask if it has more than 1 filter and where it is located. I would bet that filter has never been replaced or cleaned, so it would pay to do it.
It has lots of power while turning and there are two hydrolic system filters. They were marked the last time they were serviced...about 3 years ago and about 250 hours ago. I'm new to the skid steer thing, so heres a dumb question....Is it time for new filters and fresh fluid? The hydro fluid looks very clean.

Tazza

Staff member
It has lots of power while turning and there are two hydrolic system filters. They were marked the last time they were serviced...about 3 years ago and about 250 hours ago. I'm new to the skid steer thing, so heres a dumb question....Is it time for new filters and fresh fluid? The hydro fluid looks very clean.
Personally, i would replace the filters and as much fluid as possible. Then you know where you are, as YOU replaced them and you know for sure when they were replaced and when they should be done again. I did this to the machine i bought, the previous owner said he changed the oil, but i couldn't be sure what oil he put in so i changed it and know exactly what is in it.
If you have pleanty of power while moving, i have no idea what the problem could be then...

heatpumpproducts

Personally, i would replace the filters and as much fluid as possible. Then you know where you are, as YOU replaced them and you know for sure when they were replaced and when they should be done again. I did this to the machine i bought, the previous owner said he changed the oil, but i couldn't be sure what oil he put in so i changed it and know exactly what is in it.
If you have pleanty of power while moving, i have no idea what the problem could be then...
hi, a good onlinie store , diagrams and pricing , Messicks.com , put your model # in and away you go . good luck , cheers.kier

mllud

hi, a good onlinie store , diagrams and pricing , Messicks.com , put your model # in and away you go . good luck , cheers.kier
Parts are dealer only. I restored a New Holland LX865. Afermarket parts arent available. Most parts I went to my local dealer to get. They didnt stock.
If they are going to drop ship everything. you might just consider ordering from MESSICS.COM. Their web site is also useful for Doing your own part research.As the post above states.
as old as your loader is I dought your dealer will stock much.
Bobcat sells construction equipment. They specialize and know their machines. When you buy a New Holland Your buying from someone that specializes in tractors.My local dealer rarely has over two skid steers on their lot. The dont seem to have personel with with the experience to answer Questions about what theyr selling.This may not pertain to all New Holland dealers I going to start ordering my parts from Messics and save the confusion. I think the quality of New Holland is up with the rest. Mike

mllud

Parts are dealer only. I restored a New Holland LX865. Afermarket parts arent available. Most parts I went to my local dealer to get. They didnt stock.
If they are going to drop ship everything. you might just consider ordering from MESSICS.COM. Their web site is also useful for Doing your own part research.As the post above states.
as old as your loader is I dought your dealer will stock much.
Bobcat sells construction equipment. They specialize and know their machines. When you buy a New Holland Your buying from someone that specializes in tractors.My local dealer rarely has over two skid steers on their lot. The dont seem to have personel with with the experience to answer Questions about what theyr selling.This may not pertain to all New Holland dealers I going to start ordering my parts from Messics and save the confusion. I think the quality of New Holland is up with the rest. Mike
www.messicks.com/newhollandparts.aspx
Sorry about spelling in prev. post

mllud

www.messicks.com/newhollandparts.aspx
Sorry about spelling in prev. post
Tazza
When I post in New Holland.It shows me as the latest poster in Skid Steer in Bobcat forum.The only reason Im bothering with this is I believe I happen one day while I was in the process of responding to a post while you were moving it to the correct place.Im not concerned because I believe im the only one its effecting.I dont know If you have any way of knowing if someone is on that thread before you move it. Must be a fluke in the program. Im responding in this thread so you can see the problem. my apologies to heatpumpproducts Goeffery know about this. Dont spend time trying to figure it out if im the only one effected. . Mike

Tazza

Staff member
Tazza
When I post in New Holland.It shows me as the latest poster in Skid Steer in Bobcat forum.The only reason Im bothering with this is I believe I happen one day while I was in the process of responding to a post while you were moving it to the correct place.Im not concerned because I believe im the only one its effecting.I dont know If you have any way of knowing if someone is on that thread before you move it. Must be a fluke in the program. Im responding in this thread so you can see the problem. my apologies to heatpumpproducts Goeffery know about this. Dont spend time trying to figure it out if im the only one effected. . Mike
It doesn't show me if anyone is viewing the thread.... I must just have good timing :)
If your post shows up in the wrong area because someone moved the first post, this can always be fixed, just must be a fluke to get it at just the rite time.

mllud

It doesn't show me if anyone is viewing the thread.... I must just have good timing :)
If your post shows up in the wrong area because someone moved the first post, this can always be fixed, just must be a fluke to get it at just the rite time.
To order an Operators Manual call 1-800-635-4913. New has several manuals for each model. I would get the operators manual first. Money well spent. Mike