New guy - old question

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

mharned

Hello, New guy here, looking for a skid steer. I'm not a pro just a guy with land to clean up. I plan to do some general digging, material moving (wood, and old foundations) over fairly hilly and uneven ground. I would expect most of the work to be done year around over ground in the open, in the woods and down by the creek. Because I don't plan on using it for professional work I'm thinking I probably don't need a monster skidder, but I do want something that can dig fairly well and haul 3/4 ton or better. I do subscribe to the 'ain't no replacement…' rule, where possible. I was thinking tracks would be nice over the uneven ground, but there is a price to pay for that when it comes time to replace them. Ouch! Anyway, I have my eye on a 2003 bobcat 180t with 1300 hrs and a 2003 Cat 226 (not the B) with 2850 hrs. Both appear to be good shape. Price appears to be something I can afford (including spousal approval). It has been noted here that the t180 is way under powered, but what about for residential use? Caterpillar is a great make, but the 226 seems a bit light in the lift area. Beside the inherent ability of either machine, I am particularly concerned about the maintenance requirements and (heaven forbid) parts. Any thoughts or constructive corrections would be very much appreciated. BTW this site and it's members Rock! And I hope to contribute soon.

skidsteer.ca

Most ctl owners budget $10 to $15 per hour for undercarrige wear, above and beyond the regular maintenace cost. Its not just tracks, sprockets and idlers also figure in there. Also drive motors command a hefty price compred to the wheeled counterparts. There is no doubt a ctl has better stability on hill and better floatation on soft ground. Thats the two places it needs to accel for you to justify the price. As for size I think your looing in the right class.
I would suggest renting both a ctl and a wheel machine with steel tracks and seeing how you feel in them and if they meet your expectations.
Ken