New from Kansas City with a new bitty skid steer

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

vinito

Hi Folks. In a day or two I will be the proud owner of a little bitty skid steer. I have a one acre lot and a bunch of work to do to it. Every time I walk around it I hear myself thinking "I could really use a loader for that" and a few weeks ago I kinda got the bug for real, so I started looking around. I didn't want to have to take out a loan to get a "nice" one, at least not at this point. But I found a little Hydra Mac on craigslist and checked it out earlier tonight. I just put a deposit on it so all I have at this point is a receipt, but I'm working on setting up help to get the thing hauled to my house either tomorrow or the next day. I'll post some pictures once it's here so you can ridicule my stupidity for throwing away good money on this little wreck. But for now I'll just toss this introduction out. Here's a link to a post with a little more detail that seemed more appropriate in a different category: (don't know if the link will work or not - formatting and stuff looks on my screen like it doesn't work correctly) http://www.skidsteerforum.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=54&frmView=ShowPost&PostID=89771

OP
OP
vinito

vinito

Welcome to the site. So…..what model did you buy?
It's a little Hydro Mac 8B ... I think. It's 8 something and it looks like an 8B from what I've seen so far. This one doesn't have a "roll bar" or cage over the cab. It's just open to all of nature upwards. I thought maybe it was just missing, but then I saw a picture of a manual on the net which shows one that looks just like this one and it, too, has no cage to keep the insane operator contained inside. I may build one just because it seems like a safer way to do things. But I don't have a lot of low branches to slap me in the face nor many places it would likely tip it over... at least not yet. I may sculpt the yard to have all kinds of new curvy shapes now (hopefully on purpose). Anyway, I'll have more specifics tomorrow afternoon. IT will get a good looking-through and cleanup this weekend no doubt. By the way, is there a site update going on or something? I can't format this text and I'm sure it's difficult to look at my post. My HTML option doesn't work when I tick that box, and I don't think the editor it has me typing in right now even does paragraphs !! To me what I'm typing looks decently formatted. But when I click "Post" it smashes it all up into one long run-on text orgy.

OP
OP
vinito

vinito

It's a little Hydro Mac 8B ... I think. It's 8 something and it looks like an 8B from what I've seen so far. This one doesn't have a "roll bar" or cage over the cab. It's just open to all of nature upwards. I thought maybe it was just missing, but then I saw a picture of a manual on the net which shows one that looks just like this one and it, too, has no cage to keep the insane operator contained inside. I may build one just because it seems like a safer way to do things. But I don't have a lot of low branches to slap me in the face nor many places it would likely tip it over... at least not yet. I may sculpt the yard to have all kinds of new curvy shapes now (hopefully on purpose). Anyway, I'll have more specifics tomorrow afternoon. IT will get a good looking-through and cleanup this weekend no doubt. By the way, is there a site update going on or something? I can't format this text and I'm sure it's difficult to look at my post. My HTML option doesn't work when I tick that box, and I don't think the editor it has me typing in right now even does paragraphs !! To me what I'm typing looks decently formatted. But when I click "Post" it smashes it all up into one long run-on text orgy.
This is a test.
OK if this does paragraphs, italics, bold and links, I guess I figured it out.

OP
OP
vinito

vinito

You're sharper then I am…….after several years, I still haven't figured it out.
I started a thread in the Gehl forum, but it's not going well for me so I'll just keep this here for now.
I got the loader home and took a few snapshots.
 photo 3_2.jpg  photo 1_2.jpg  photo 4.jpg  photo 2_1.jpg
Ugly, isn't it?
I'm certain it will be at leat a little bit of a money pit and I already paid a little too much for it at $2K, but I've never had anything like this before so I figure that's not that much to pay for tuition. I'm sure I'll learn a lot. I sure don't know what I'm doing so far. Plus I'll get something out of it if/when I sell it, so subtract that from the tuition fee later I guess.
But it runs, and I moved a little dirt around before parking it. I had a couple humps piled up and it handled it pretty easy of course.
I couldn't find a serial or model number on it yet. Any help with that, or with finding some manuals for it once I do find out what it actually is would be great too.
So whadda ya think?

OP
OP
vinito

vinito

I started a thread in the Gehl forum, but it's not going well for me so I'll just keep this here for now.
I got the loader home and took a few snapshots.

Ugly, isn't it?
I'm certain it will be at leat a little bit of a money pit and I already paid a little too much for it at $2K, but I've never had anything like this before so I figure that's not that much to pay for tuition. I'm sure I'll learn a lot. I sure don't know what I'm doing so far. Plus I'll get something out of it if/when I sell it, so subtract that from the tuition fee later I guess.
But it runs, and I moved a little dirt around before parking it. I had a couple humps piled up and it handled it pretty easy of course.
I couldn't find a serial or model number on it yet. Any help with that, or with finding some manuals for it once I do find out what it actually is would be great too.
So whadda ya think?
Ok I found the tag. I guess it's an 8A. At least I know that much now.
 photo 5.jpg

6brnorma

Ok I found the tag. I guess it's an 8A. At least I know that much now.
"Weird" website is due to Ultra old software. They are in the process of updating but it cost money and takes time. As far as the machine is concerned…….hopefully there is someone on here that can help you ……. I have zero knowledge on this one.

OP
OP
vinito

vinito

"Weird" website is due to Ultra old software. They are in the process of updating but it cost money and takes time. As far as the machine is concerned…….hopefully there is someone on here that can help you ……. I have zero knowledge on this one.
I had some time to play with the toy today. Since it needs a paint job eventually, I think it would be fun to paint "Tonka" on it instead of "Mitey Mac".
Turns out it works really well !!! I tested the lifting with some large tree trunks I have in the yard and it picked them up quickly with no effort. The biggest probably only weighed 400lbs.
I started getting used to the controls a little. "Stick time" obviously makes such a huge difference.
I can tell already that I will need some forks often and I can build that. I did the same for a neighbor's loader earlier this year in fact. So I took some paper and a tape measure out to make a dimensioned cartoon of the mount. Looks like it will be pretty easy to fabricate. Craiglist often has pairs of loose forks for sale here so I can pick some up and then make the mounting plate to suit them. I'm kind of torn between hacking into this machine so it has a standard quick attach, but I already have two buckets to fit it and it's a pretty simple and fairly quick system already. Any thoughts on this are welcome.
And I'm already of dreaming about adding some auxiliary hydraulics someday, so if anybody can steer me the right direction for hacking this machine to have that, I would really appreciate it. I know Geihl made a kit for the 2500 (same machine) but I would guess those a pretty rare find these days. I may be able to add a belt and have a completely separate system for that I guess. Otherwise, does anybody know if the valves on this thing are something I could add another, or can you just tap into the hydraulic system somehow ???
So I can see that if this machine turns out to be in good shape after I do a bunch of preventive maintenance (replacing hoses, inspecting the engine, going through the pumps, motors and valves and restoring to new specs) and in general making sure everything on it is in very good working order, I will probably make a hobby out of building a few attachments and hacking it to make it better and better over time. I am a machinist by trade so doing this kind of stuff is within my skill set. But of course I'm getting ahead of myself.
First order of business is to replace the hoses. All of them but one just look bad. They are cracked and worn through the rubber. Not sure what that will set me back, but I can do a pair or so at a time I guess until I get them all done. I would like to make sure the pump and motors are in very good shape. I'm not afraid of taking them all apart to inspect and re-work if necessary. Depends on whether it's esoteric enough that I ought to farm that out to a hydraulic shop instead. At least once all that is done, I should be able to count on being able to use the machine without it breaking and being stuck just when and where I don't want that to happen. I know that at least one of the motors is leaking fluid, so minimum I'm looking at is replacing a seal or two.
Oh well. I've reached the rambling point now. Any advice is appreciated. Maybe first you could tell me if this is better discussed in a different sub-forum or not. Thanks.

Tazza

Staff member
I had some time to play with the toy today. Since it needs a paint job eventually, I think it would be fun to paint "Tonka" on it instead of "Mitey Mac".
Turns out it works really well !!! I tested the lifting with some large tree trunks I have in the yard and it picked them up quickly with no effort. The biggest probably only weighed 400lbs.
I started getting used to the controls a little. "Stick time" obviously makes such a huge difference.
I can tell already that I will need some forks often and I can build that. I did the same for a neighbor's loader earlier this year in fact. So I took some paper and a tape measure out to make a dimensioned cartoon of the mount. Looks like it will be pretty easy to fabricate. Craiglist often has pairs of loose forks for sale here so I can pick some up and then make the mounting plate to suit them. I'm kind of torn between hacking into this machine so it has a standard quick attach, but I already have two buckets to fit it and it's a pretty simple and fairly quick system already. Any thoughts on this are welcome.
And I'm already of dreaming about adding some auxiliary hydraulics someday, so if anybody can steer me the right direction for hacking this machine to have that, I would really appreciate it. I know Geihl made a kit for the 2500 (same machine) but I would guess those a pretty rare find these days. I may be able to add a belt and have a completely separate system for that I guess. Otherwise, does anybody know if the valves on this thing are something I could add another, or can you just tap into the hydraulic system somehow ???
So I can see that if this machine turns out to be in good shape after I do a bunch of preventive maintenance (replacing hoses, inspecting the engine, going through the pumps, motors and valves and restoring to new specs) and in general making sure everything on it is in very good working order, I will probably make a hobby out of building a few attachments and hacking it to make it better and better over time. I am a machinist by trade so doing this kind of stuff is within my skill set. But of course I'm getting ahead of myself.
First order of business is to replace the hoses. All of them but one just look bad. They are cracked and worn through the rubber. Not sure what that will set me back, but I can do a pair or so at a time I guess until I get them all done. I would like to make sure the pump and motors are in very good shape. I'm not afraid of taking them all apart to inspect and re-work if necessary. Depends on whether it's esoteric enough that I ought to farm that out to a hydraulic shop instead. At least once all that is done, I should be able to count on being able to use the machine without it breaking and being stuck just when and where I don't want that to happen. I know that at least one of the motors is leaking fluid, so minimum I'm looking at is replacing a seal or two.
Oh well. I've reached the rambling point now. Any advice is appreciated. Maybe first you could tell me if this is better discussed in a different sub-forum or not. Thanks.
Nice machine, you will be amazed at the other jobs you will think up for it.
I have used mine for so many other tasks than moving dirt. It has been used as an excavator, post hole borer, forklift. I have used it to lift parts off other machines that were too heavy to lift by hand.