New CAT 259D3 vs. Bobcat T66, need feedback

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

traut811

Hey guys.

I have read through a ton of threads about pros and cons of each machine, but there are several things in question still and was hoping someone had first hand experience with both maybe.

I'm looking at purchasing a new machine soon, either a 2023 259D3 or T66 bobcat. Both are 74hp and direct comparison in my eyes. I previously had a Cat 257 then switched to a Bobcat T595 for a few years so have "some" experience with their predecessors (even though the 257B ASV undercarriage was completely different and had a smaller engine at the time).

Apples to apples, I can probably get into either machine for right around the same cost equipped equivalently. The bobcat would have the C68/P29 packages.
2 speed
std flow
backup camera
radio
deluxe touchscreen
AC/heat enclosed cab
heated seat
rear counterweights
wide track
Automatic ride control
(CAT has torsion suspension, Bobcat would have their torsion suspension as it's different but I liked the roller suspension on my 2018 T595)

The local dealer suggested opting out of the automatic ride control for the CAT and said it wasn't really needed with their torsion suspension. Seems like it would be nice to have if it did anything for retaining material in the bucket. Bobcat has this standard. Any experience with this option on either?

As for suspension setups, any complaints with difficulty grading with the torsion suspension on the machines?

My biggest complaint about my old CAT was the cab seemed so small and cramped. It was fine, just very tight side to side. I assume the new ones are the same. Any visibility differences between the two?

Looks like Bobcat has a little higher lift capacity.

Finally the CAT has the 3.3l and Bobcat has a 2.2l both pushing 74HP. The CAT dealer says the 259D3 will burn ~1.5gallon less per hour than the T66. It is also rated at 8.5mph in 2spd vs 10.2mph in the Bobcat which is a win for Bobcat in my opinion.

Any feedback on these items or anything else would be greatly appreciated. I am a homeowner and do anything from grade yards for people to using a tree puller back in the woods to material movement for landscaping and forks for moving skids around.

To me everything leans towards Bobcat other than you know CATs are built tough with a refined cab and resale may be higher on it. Warrantys are the same and I'd probably keep it for 4-5 years. I assume CAT would have a higher resale when the time comes.

Thanks in advance.

cary

I bought a new Cat 259D3, I just don't like it, the door is a major pain in the butt, can't open unless all the way down, and seems like I'm always pushing a button to get going, slow!
I have had bobcats in the past, think I'm going back

OP
OP
T

traut811

I bought a new Cat 259D3, I just don't like it, the door is a major pain in the butt, can't open unless all the way down, and seems like I'm always pushing a button to get going, slow!
I have had bobcats in the past, think I'm going back
Thanks for the reply cary. Cary. Tak and Kubota are the only two with doors you can actually use with the bucket not on the ground. Seems like it comes at the expense of dust and or sound though.

I just got done dumping my CAT 259D3 for a Deere 325G. It will probably take a lot for me to consider another CAT. Hydraulics to the final drives always would whine. The machine would go into hydraulic relief a lot under load. The curl on the bucket was non-exsistent. If your loader arms are up even what seemed to be an inch, you couldn't open the door.

A buddy of mine and I went and look at some JCB's. They are sweet. I wished I would have looked at those first before getting my Deere. Oh well. I am pretty happy with it.