New Business Venture - Oilfield Service Company branching out

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

steeltown08

I own an oilfield service company in North Texas and due to the oil and gas crash I am looking to branch out. I have been considering a skid steer as an addition but have yet to add one. Does anyone have any recommendations as to what is the quickest way to create revenue with one and what is lucrative? I already own vehicles and trailers so it is just a matter of getting a skid steer and putting it to work.

Bobcatdan

Demo and land clearing are good possibilities. I have a buddy that does demo of garages and out buildings along with driveway and concrete readouts. Does pretty good. If the market right, I could see land clearing as a money maker. Thing is you need to figure more then just a skidsteer and bucket. Several attachments to fit your needs and possibly another type of equipment.

Hotrod1830

Demo and land clearing are good possibilities. I have a buddy that does demo of garages and out buildings along with driveway and concrete readouts. Does pretty good. If the market right, I could see land clearing as a money maker. Thing is you need to figure more then just a skidsteer and bucket. Several attachments to fit your needs and possibly another type of equipment.
Agree'ed on the land clearing. Neighbor started up a stump grinding biz a few years ago, and man did his biz grow. Probably alot of land owners in texas that need fence rows cleared and such. Tree shear , grapple and stump grinder will get you started in that. You can rent stump grinders if you need to make sure demand is there before purchase.

Hotrod1830

Agree'ed on the land clearing. Neighbor started up a stump grinding biz a few years ago, and man did his biz grow. Probably alot of land owners in texas that need fence rows cleared and such. Tree shear , grapple and stump grinder will get you started in that. You can rent stump grinders if you need to make sure demand is there before purchase.
Almost forgot, those guys that do stump and tree removal work also have chippers/shredders and sell all those chips as mulch and cut tree's into firewood. Kinda like getting paid twice to remove a tree.

OP
OP
S

steeltown08

Thanks for that great advice. Yes, there is so much growth in the DFW area that I'd think that these areas could be lucrative. I know that the attachments come through the auctions here pretty frequently too so it shouldn't be too hard to pick those up at a fair price. Any recommendations on a machine for that?

Hotrod1830

Thanks for that great advice. Yes, there is so much growth in the DFW area that I'd think that these areas could be lucrative. I know that the attachments come through the auctions here pretty frequently too so it shouldn't be too hard to pick those up at a fair price. Any recommendations on a machine for that?
Most of your work will be in rough terrain, a track machine will probably be your best bet. Tires on steel tracks may work, but all of the crews I see hauling skids with that kind of equipment all have track machines. I have personally never done it, but if you follow trends, there it is. As far as machine size, probably bigger is better? logs and tree's get heavy quick. As for a specific model/brand, I cant comment. Do your homework, or maybe someone here will chime in that does that kind of work.