need some advice...

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Nic

Hey there... nice forum!...looks like it's still in the early stages but i'm sure it will get busier! Anyway, just wondering if any of you could help me out how to get into the industry... I wanna buy a Bobcat and Tipper and start a contracting business... I know I need to obtain a licence and all that which I'm currently researching. Is it a good business to run?... is it profitable?... does all your earnings go into the maintenance of the machines or are they pretty reliable? Thanks!

owensge

Nic, thanks for the kudos. Yes, we are in the early stages of our site and are starting to add more content and information. I've sent an e-mail to our resident expert (bobcatmel), so he should be getting back to you pretty soon. We also have some other enthusiasts who have been browsing who might have some answers. Please pass on this site to other folks and thanks for your support of the Bobcat Forum. Geoffrey

BobcatMel

Dear Nic, You bet it's profitable. typically cost per hour to operate a rubber tired machine is around $5.00 per hour, plus fuel. track units are slightly higher. That doesn't include payments or insurance on the machine. The average hourly charge for an operator and machine is between $65 - $100 per hour. More if you own a dump truck or have an excavator or special attachments. That's just to do standard dirtwork. If you have any more questions, please call during the day at 916-761-7043. I am a Territory Rep for Bobcat West , Pape Group in Sacramento.

StuZ

Dear Nic, You bet it's profitable. typically cost per hour to operate a rubber tired machine is around $5.00 per hour, plus fuel. track units are slightly higher. That doesn't include payments or insurance on the machine. The average hourly charge for an operator and machine is between $65 - $100 per hour. More if you own a dump truck or have an excavator or special attachments. That's just to do standard dirtwork. If you have any more questions, please call during the day at 916-761-7043. I am a Territory Rep for Bobcat West , Pape Group in Sacramento.
Nic, I guess it depends on what part of the country you are in as to what you can make/charge. It can be hard work at times, but it has many rewards

OP
OP
N

Nic

Nic, I guess it depends on what part of the country you are in as to what you can make/charge. It can be hard work at times, but it has many rewards
Well i'm actually in Australia... I live in an area where to the east it's pretty much developed but to the north west there is major housing developments. When I say major I mean within about a 30min drive they are looking to build around 300,000 homes... thats why i'm looking to make a living out of this groth potential. I have another question... i see alot of contractors with both a bobcat and an excavator... if you had the choice to make a living out of either one which would bring in more money? I'm thinking there are alot more opportunities with an excavator... What do u think?

StuZ

Well i'm actually in Australia... I live in an area where to the east it's pretty much developed but to the north west there is major housing developments. When I say major I mean within about a 30min drive they are looking to build around 300,000 homes... thats why i'm looking to make a living out of this groth potential. I have another question... i see alot of contractors with both a bobcat and an excavator... if you had the choice to make a living out of either one which would bring in more money? I'm thinking there are alot more opportunities with an excavator... What do u think?
I would think a skid loader would be or more use. With all the attachments they make .... If no one else has an excavator in your area, that mite be the way to go

500K_773

I would think a skid loader would be or more use. With all the attachments they make .... If no one else has an excavator in your area, that mite be the way to go
I agree. I would start off with a skid steer, but if other opportunities open up, begin using what they call the Bobcat System -- SSL+excavator. Start off with something slightly smaller if you don't have too much money -- try beginning with like a S150 or S160, then move up. If you know that you'll be doing a lot of lifting, start out with the S175 or S185. If you really know that you're into heavy lifting and digging, take a good look at the S250.

500K_773

I agree. I would start off with a skid steer, but if other opportunities open up, begin using what they call the Bobcat System -- SSL+excavator. Start off with something slightly smaller if you don't have too much money -- try beginning with like a S150 or S160, then move up. If you know that you'll be doing a lot of lifting, start out with the S175 or S185. If you really know that you're into heavy lifting and digging, take a good look at the S250.
Nic,
I think it is a great idea to start your own business. It especially looks more promising with such a large developement being built nearby. I would start with a skid steer loader if you where only buying one piece of equipment. The excavators have their place and can do a lot of work with the backfill blade, but cannot move material as far and efficiently as the skid steer. The skid steer also has a wider variety of attachments that you can purchase or rent.
I looked at all the brands of skid steers before purchasing my Bobcat and have not had any regrets with my decision. My dealer is very supportive and has a wide variety of attachment available to rent. The local Case and Cat dealers have no where the amount of attachments as my Bobcat dealer. If you buy a skid steer, be sure to buy a set of pallet forks to go with it. In my opinion, you are not fully utilizing the machine without the forks. The forks are priceless when moving material such as logs, culvert, pallets, etc... Also be sure to get the power bobtach option, this allows fast, effortless switching of different buckets and forks.
Good luck.

Jack

Do what I have done, knew very little about Bobcats, had experience years ago with heavy earthmoving gear. I bought a used 753C machine, 3 days ago. I searched the Trader magazines etc. Then went to Brisbane, looked at many units that were only suitable as Prawn Trawler anchors! Ended up at Bobcat South Qld where I got a 4000 hour machine for A$19,500. I am now looking for a cheap s/hand truck. I did not buy this machine to contract with, I have got a 130 acre block of land that needs about 200 hours machine time. I figured it far cheaper and more fun, to buy my own machine and do my own work and save about A$12,000 in contractor hire, after expenses. My neighbours saw the machine being delivered and already want work done for them! I spent 2 hours yesterday teaching myself how to operate the machine and will do an official course to pick up the tricks of the trade, get the ticket and have fun, doing my own work. Pick a good s/hand machine and truck, see how you go and upgrade later.

864wood

Do what I have done, knew very little about Bobcats, had experience years ago with heavy earthmoving gear. I bought a used 753C machine, 3 days ago. I searched the Trader magazines etc. Then went to Brisbane, looked at many units that were only suitable as Prawn Trawler anchors! Ended up at Bobcat South Qld where I got a 4000 hour machine for A$19,500. I am now looking for a cheap s/hand truck. I did not buy this machine to contract with, I have got a 130 acre block of land that needs about 200 hours machine time. I figured it far cheaper and more fun, to buy my own machine and do my own work and save about A$12,000 in contractor hire, after expenses. My neighbours saw the machine being delivered and already want work done for them! I spent 2 hours yesterday teaching myself how to operate the machine and will do an official course to pick up the tricks of the trade, get the ticket and have fun, doing my own work. Pick a good s/hand machine and truck, see how you go and upgrade later.
Also try the track machines. They are twice the price but allow better performance. They have better break out strenght when digging, allow in my opinion better final grading performance and allows you most importantly to work year round in wet conditions. They are incidentally virtually impossible to get stuck but then I attempt the impossible on a regular basis. Just read some of my old postings. Last note though if you are going to be using it on pavement more than dirt steer away from the tracks because they are expensive to replace.