Need help making updated bob-tach plate for my 1993 Bobcat 440b

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Willgates351

I came across some picture on here of a guy that made an attachment plate for his 440b so it could use newer bobcat attachment, and wanted to do the same. Anyone know how i can do this without hurting my pockets to bad?

Tazza

Staff member
It all depends on what gear you have on hand and how good you are using it.
If you have a welder, access to cheap steel, mill/lathe would be handy.
If you can get your paws on a used bobtach, you may be able to adapt it to work too.

OP
OP
Willgates351

Willgates351

It all depends on what gear you have on hand and how good you are using it.
If you have a welder, access to cheap steel, mill/lathe would be handy.
If you can get your paws on a used bobtach, you may be able to adapt it to work too.
Thanks for the quick reply, it took me 30 minutes to figure find the message you sent. New to the site, so still learning my way around. Anyway, I do have welders, and access to steel, but no mill/lathe. I looked around online for a used bob-tach, but no luck as of yet. So what plate do I need, or what should I do???

mark18mwm

Thanks for the quick reply, it took me 30 minutes to figure find the message you sent. New to the site, so still learning my way around. Anyway, I do have welders, and access to steel, but no mill/lathe. I looked around online for a used bob-tach, but no luck as of yet. So what plate do I need, or what should I do???
You might look at farm implement dealers or salvage yard. If you will need to make one work you might be able to pick up a damaged or worn quick tach that you can rework for your needs. I did that for my 6oo a few years back, took a worn quick tach and reworked it for my machine, best thing I ever did. My used quicktach I paid $100 for, stuck a few hours and maybe $50 in steel into it and love it. good luck with your build (if you go at it yourself). Welcome to the group, some very smart guys here that are always willing to help.

OP
OP
Willgates351

Willgates351

You might look at farm implement dealers or salvage yard. If you will need to make one work you might be able to pick up a damaged or worn quick tach that you can rework for your needs. I did that for my 6oo a few years back, took a worn quick tach and reworked it for my machine, best thing I ever did. My used quicktach I paid $100 for, stuck a few hours and maybe $50 in steel into it and love it. good luck with your build (if you go at it yourself). Welcome to the group, some very smart guys here that are always willing to help.
Didn't think about the farm dealers, that's a great idea. :) Thanks, I'll let you know how things turn-out, and thanks for welcoming me to the group..... That 600 looks like a mean machine, what type of work to you do with it?

Tazza

Staff member
Didn't think about the farm dealers, that's a great idea. :) Thanks, I'll let you know how things turn-out, and thanks for welcoming me to the group..... That 600 looks like a mean machine, what type of work to you do with it?
Good idea.
You may een be able to use a different branded attach plate too, it is a standard, but i just can't remember from what year onward it was though, so me sure to see it before you buy it sight un-seen (if that happened).

mark18mwm

Well, my old 600 may not be a "mean machine" lol, but I do get a lot done with it. I try not "working out" for anyone but friends, she is old and tired (kinda like me lol) and I try not to push it to hard. I mainly use it for moving things around home and loading logs for my firewood processor with the forks, move a little dirt around home and plow snow for myself and a couple neighbors, and I go in the woods to "skid" wood in the winter. My world would shut down if she died, your 440 will be the same for you I'm sure. What part of the country are you in? The reason I ask is in the mid west there is a place called All States ag parts. They are a salvage yard for ag equipment but also have a good stock of skid steer parts, they might have something for a quicktach for you. They have locations in several states and can usualy find about anything, though they might not always be the cheapest I think they are fair. If you do have to build or modify another machines quicktach, it may take a bit of work and ingenuity but if you can trust your fab skills (remember people could be around it if something would break, safety first)it is well worth the effort. I made both of my buckets (a smooth dirt bucket and a 8 foot wide snow bucket), my forks, and modified my quicktach and am very satisfied with the results. The next project for me is a 7'snow plow blade mounted to a quickach plate to speed up plowing long roads/driveways.

OP
OP
Willgates351

Willgates351

Hi Willgates351,
I have actually built two adapters for my 440b, which give me total flexibility in attachments. See links:
http://www.skidsteerforum.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=54&frmView=ShowPost&PostID=76726
http://www.skidsteerforum.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=54&frmView=ShowPost&PostID=52880
Both work very well.
Cheers - SR
That's exactly what I'm looking for, I really like the smaller setup. So what will I need to get to make something like that for my 440b?

OP
OP
Willgates351

Willgates351

Hi Willgates351,
I have actually built two adapters for my 440b, which give me total flexibility in attachments. See links:
http://www.skidsteerforum.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=54&frmView=ShowPost&PostID=76726
http://www.skidsteerforum.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=54&frmView=ShowPost&PostID=52880
Both work very well.
Cheers - SR
How can I make at conversion setup like yours, and what the deal with the rims. They stick out nicely???

SkidRoe

How can I make at conversion setup like yours, and what the deal with the rims. They stick out nicely???
I bought the bobtach already fabbed from Skidsteer Solutions. I then just welded the features to the back of it required to match up with the old style bobtach on my 440b. All you need is a welder, some sort of metal cutting saw, a grinder, and some elbow grease.
HTH - SR

OP
OP
Willgates351

Willgates351

I bought the bobtach already fabbed from Skidsteer Solutions. I then just welded the features to the back of it required to match up with the old style bobtach on my 440b. All you need is a welder, some sort of metal cutting saw, a grinder, and some elbow grease.
HTH - SR
I see it. Did you get the other one from them too, or did you make that one yourself?

OP
OP
Willgates351

Willgates351

HTH - SR
Looks like you cut it up a bit, was this done to make it lighter, or for a better fit?

SkidRoe

Looks like you cut it up a bit, was this done to make it lighter, or for a better fit?
The larger one is an old bobtach off of a T190 that was broken and going to be scrapped by my local dealer.
I did have to cut off the old boom and cylinder mounts to make it thin enough to not offset the attachment too far from the 440b's normal bobtach front face.
If I were to do it all over again, I would skip building the full size adapter, as the smaller one will fit full size attachments, you just need to center it by eye when hooking up.

OP
OP
Willgates351

Willgates351

The larger one is an old bobtach off of a T190 that was broken and going to be scrapped by my local dealer.
I did have to cut off the old boom and cylinder mounts to make it thin enough to not offset the attachment too far from the 440b's normal bobtach front face.
If I were to do it all over again, I would skip building the full size adapter, as the smaller one will fit full size attachments, you just need to center it by eye when hooking up.
You've inspired me, at this point I've opted to get the "latch box set" from Hayspear: file:///C:/Users/Willgates/Desktop/BobCat%20Info/Skid%20steer%20hitch%20parts%20to%20build%20a%20skidster%20adapter.html At least that's what I'm thinking at this point. I want my hookup to be lightweight, the bobcat only has an operating capacity of 600lbs, so I'd like a nice fit, and lightweight so I'm not losing any lift capability. Still strong as well.. Does that make since???

OP
OP
Willgates351

Willgates351

You've inspired me, at this point I've opted to get the "latch box set" from Hayspear: file:///C:/Users/Willgates/Desktop/BobCat%20Info/Skid%20steer%20hitch%20parts%20to%20build%20a%20skidster%20adapter.html At least that's what I'm thinking at this point. I want my hookup to be lightweight, the bobcat only has an operating capacity of 600lbs, so I'd like a nice fit, and lightweight so I'm not losing any lift capability. Still strong as well.. Does that make since???
Sorry, the link was: https://app-hayspear-com.app-hosted.com/product/QA_LATCH_BOX_PAIR/

SkidRoe

Sorry, the link was: https://app-hayspear-com.app-hosted.com/product/QA_LATCH_BOX_PAIR/
Each of mine weight about 80 - 100 lbs. Not much you can do to make them much lighter. Because they are so close into the machine, this weight does not have as much effect.
This is the one that I used:
http://www.skidsteersolutions.com/m...thomas-t85-to-bobcat-mt-50-52-55-463-adapter/
Same price and much less fabrication required to make it fit. The adapter plate that makes it fit the Thomas machine is a separate piece that bolts on, so you simply don't use it.
One other thing that I did was to bolt about 200 lbs of counterweight to the rear door. This increases your lifting power quite dramatically. If I am operating on any up hill grades, I typically drop off one of my 100 lb weights.
Weight%201.JPG

Cheers - SR

OP
OP
Willgates351

Willgates351

Each of mine weight about 80 - 100 lbs. Not much you can do to make them much lighter. Because they are so close into the machine, this weight does not have as much effect.
This is the one that I used:
http://www.skidsteersolutions.com/mini-skid-steer-attachments/adapters/bobcat-mt-adapters/eterra-thomas-t85-to-bobcat-mt-50-52-55-463-adapter/
Same price and much less fabrication required to make it fit. The adapter plate that makes it fit the Thomas machine is a separate piece that bolts on, so you simply don't use it.
One other thing that I did was to bolt about 200 lbs of counterweight to the rear door. This increases your lifting power quite dramatically. If I am operating on any up hill grades, I typically drop off one of my 100 lb weights.

Cheers - SR
Sweet!! That look like what I need, and the price isn't that bad either. Thanks Skidroe, you're the man....