Need help identifying this 1990 bobcat skid steer

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

ByggareBobby

The engine ID is stamped on the flat right next to the injection pump facing up.
All 743's came factory equipped with a V1702IDI engine.
Don't rebuild it, replace it with a V2203DI, it will be the best thing you can do.
I did mine years ago and it's worked its tail end off since then!

Doesn't the the 700-series come with a 4 cylinder engine?

I bet the picture shows a 643 with the 3 cylinder Kubota D1402 engine. A bit strange though that the pictures of the engine seems to be mirrored :rolleyes:

BRs /Stefan

laurencen

not sure its mirrored, looking at the hose clamp its clockwise to tighten, if mirrored it would reverse.

see the water pump has a grease nipple, not seen that before

ByggareBobby

not sure its mirrored, looking at the hose clamp its clockwise to tighten, if mirrored it would reverse.

see the water pump has a grease nipple, not seen that before
Hmm yes you're right. Looking in my 643 bay the engin looks like below. Don't mind the battery that is placed to the left instead of right (which I believe is standard) due to that someone moved it to fit what I believe is some kind of heater for the cab.

1705947863793.png

North Idaho Wolfman

That is a 843 with a Perkins Diesel engine.
They never put the Perkins in anything smaller.
Smaller units got a Deutz Diesel, Ford gasoline, or Kubota Diesel.
It's not Gasoline (injectors) and no plugs.
It's not a Deutz, they are Air cooled.
And that is 1000% not a Kubota engine, I have several here of every size.
There are quite a few differences.

North Idaho Wolfman

That is a 843 with a Perkins Diesel engine.
They never put the Perkins in anything smaller.
Smaller units got a Deutz Diesel, Ford gasoline, or Kubota Diesel.
It's not Gasoline (injectors) and no plugs.
It's not a Deutz, they are Air cooled.
And that is 1000% not a Kubota engine, I have several here of every size.
There are quite a few differences.

North Idaho Wolfman

Doesn't the the 700-series come with a 4 cylinder engine?

I bet the picture shows a 643 with the 3 cylinder Kubota D1402 engine. A bit strange though that the pictures of the engine seems to be mirrored :rolleyes:

BRs /Stefan

I was quoting another member that wanted to know where the engine Id was on a Kubota V1702
The OP's engine is not a Kubota engine, it's a Perkins.

spitzair

Looks like a 640 series machine to me as well. The 643 had a 3 cylinder Kubota engine in them as was stated earlier, the 642 had either a Ford KSG416 4 cylinder gas engine in the early units or later ones cme with a 4 cylinder Mitsubishi gas engine while the 641 had a 2 cylinder Deutz air cooled diesel engine. Looks like this one had an engine transplant at some point in its life, this one looks like a Perkins and as far as I know they were never used on a 600 series machine… The green colour also indicates this is a 640 series Also, another giveaway is if it has 6 lug wheels. Physically the 640 and 740 series are almost identical in size but the 640s are a bit lighter. Not knowing what engine was in there originally one can't be sure whether it's a 642 or 643. More than likely not a 641 though as those were air cooled unless whoever did the engine transplant also went through the trouble of locating and installing a radiator although anything is possible. Now at one point there was also a 645 but they were very rare and I know absolutely nohing about them, maybe it had a Perkins? Hope that helps…

Last edited:

Latest posts