NEED HELP, BUCKET WELDED ON

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

crash6882

I just purchased a 2005 JD 328. When I got it home i went to go take the bucket off to find out that the previous owner welded the bucket to the mounting plate. After further investigation it looks like the part of the bucket which the plate slides under on the top broke so they just decided to weld it. My problem is i need to remove it to put forks on it. I looked at the attachment plate from JD and they wanted $700. Is there any junk yard for these machines that I might be able to get the skid steer plate cheaper??? will a plate off a bobcat fit?? Anyone know the best way to break the welds??? any pics of the plate on the skid steer without a bucket on it so i can see what I need as a final product after the seperation???

Tazza

Staff member
It really depends on where its welded for access. I'd try an angle grinder with a cut off blade to get all you can, the rest may need to be done with something like a plasma cutter.
If the lower pins are still there, why not just re-weld/make a part for the bucket to hook under at the top of the attachment plate?

OP
OP
C

crash6882

It really depends on where its welded for access. I'd try an angle grinder with a cut off blade to get all you can, the rest may need to be done with something like a plasma cutter.
If the lower pins are still there, why not just re-weld/make a part for the bucket to hook under at the top of the attachment plate?
My plan is to rebuild the bucket, but first have to separate them without damaging the hitch coupling plate. some welds are 1/4 thick. this is going to be fun.

skidsteer.ca

My plan is to rebuild the bucket, but first have to separate them without damaging the hitch coupling plate. some welds are 1/4 thick. this is going to be fun.
The only other option is to Arc Air (its like a un welding process) aka Carbon Arc Gouging.
But you need the Arc Air attachment for at least a 300 amp (bigger is better here) stick welder and a decent size (10 cfm at 90 psi) air compressor to run it. You may be best off taking it to a heavy equipment repair shop as they should have this kind of tool.
A zip cut on a angle grinder works ok to, but it might be hard to reach all the corners. You could do what you can with the grinder then send it out to finish it up.
As for fixing, you will have to weight the cost of a repair versus a replacement.
Ken