need advice, keep getting stuck

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

crash6882

i have a 2005 jd 328 tire machine. i have new 14x17.5 tires on it, new engine, and new turbo. i am working on clearing my land and all was going well. now that i have dug into the bank and am into the softer sand i am having a problem with getting stuck. it seems like my belly pan is hitting which is causing my problem. i go to grade the area and have trouble with the back of the bucket accumulating too much sand, it seems the machine is sinking into the sand to much. i was thinking of taking air out my tires (i know from driving my truck on the beach that u want the tires to flatten out a bit and more or less glide over the sand instead of sinking in). my concern with deflating the tires was that it would then make the machine have less clearance which might make my problem worse. due to the fact the I don't have a compressor over at my land i am trying to avoid making it worse and then having to trailer it back home to inflate them. Just wondering how everybody else with tire machines deal with soft sand???

Tazza

Staff member
That has always been a problem when the soil is soft. You really need tracks for sandy soil, more surface area to spread the load better than 4 pints of tyres. Sadly there really isn't many other options. I believe you can get wider tyres, but i'm not sure that would help you much. If you deflate your tyres, it may help a bit but when you turn it will put load on the side walls and possibly pop the tyre off the bead if they are soft enough.
Sadly i have no pisitives there for you.... Hopefully another member can give some advise that will be of some assistance.

OP
OP
C

crash6882

That has always been a problem when the soil is soft. You really need tracks for sandy soil, more surface area to spread the load better than 4 pints of tyres. Sadly there really isn't many other options. I believe you can get wider tyres, but i'm not sure that would help you much. If you deflate your tyres, it may help a bit but when you turn it will put load on the side walls and possibly pop the tyre off the bead if they are soft enough.
Sadly i have no pisitives there for you.... Hopefully another member can give some advise that will be of some assistance.
i was afraid that tracks would be the answer. i'm maxed out $ wise and can't afford the over the tire tracks. I guess this machine is another investment i got screwed on.

Tazza

Staff member
i was afraid that tracks would be the answer. i'm maxed out $ wise and can't afford the over the tire tracks. I guess this machine is another investment i got screwed on.
I wouldn't say you were screwed over, from what you state about the machine, new engine and turbo that means the engine side should be in tip top condition. How is the dirt in other places on your property? If you keep an eye out, steel over tyre tracks do come up on craigs list and e-bay at very reasonable prices. Even if they are pretty worn, they may still be serviceable for you.

OP
OP
C

crash6882

I wouldn't say you were screwed over, from what you state about the machine, new engine and turbo that means the engine side should be in tip top condition. How is the dirt in other places on your property? If you keep an eye out, steel over tyre tracks do come up on craigs list and e-bay at very reasonable prices. Even if they are pretty worn, they may still be serviceable for you.
last question is. will i damage anything like the drive motors if i keep on burying the machine and then power out of the hole???????????

Tazza

Staff member
last question is. will i damage anything like the drive motors if i keep on burying the machine and then power out of the hole???????????
I don't believe so. The drive system is powerful enough to spin the wheels on hard dirt. When there is less traction there will be less load.