Mustang Popularly

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Geezer

I just purchased a used Mustang 2060 with 1000hrs. During my search for a good skid-steer, it seems that Bob-Cat, Deere, and New Holland seem to be much more popular. Why is Mustang less popular?? Some have told me it is the lack of good dealer net-work, and some have said lack of quality. In comparing specs of a given model of Mustang, I find them to be the same or better than some of the others. Can someone give me some insite......... Thanks Confused Geezer

OP
OP
G

Geezer

Well Gentlemen: After much research, I think I have answered my questions: The Mustang is a damm good machine, with the exeception that many do not like the T-Bar control system, regarding cab access, on the older models. Compare the specs vs other similar machines. The new machines have the newer controls Popularly of a given machine depends on many other areas, dealer quality, location. Most machines I understand use the same basic OEM items, such as "Eaton Hyd" drive systems, ect. Seems to almost be a "Ford" vs "Chev" type thing, who knows. Marketing is a wonderful thing. Bobcat is done a great job, but now is owned buy a foreign company....So time will tell. I guess it breaks down to experience with a given brand. but we also know that many just beat the sheet out of their machines, with little maintence and figure the machine is crap, because it has problems. Anyway, just my thoughts. Thanks Geezer

Tazza

Staff member
Well Gentlemen: After much research, I think I have answered my questions: The Mustang is a damm good machine, with the exeception that many do not like the T-Bar control system, regarding cab access, on the older models. Compare the specs vs other similar machines. The new machines have the newer controls Popularly of a given machine depends on many other areas, dealer quality, location. Most machines I understand use the same basic OEM items, such as "Eaton Hyd" drive systems, ect. Seems to almost be a "Ford" vs "Chev" type thing, who knows. Marketing is a wonderful thing. Bobcat is done a great job, but now is owned buy a foreign company....So time will tell. I guess it breaks down to experience with a given brand. but we also know that many just beat the sheet out of their machines, with little maintence and figure the machine is crap, because it has problems. Anyway, just my thoughts. Thanks Geezer
I do see a few Mustang machines around the place, but nothing like Toyota and bobcat.
As for controls, you would get used to them pretty fast.
Eaton seems to be the biggest in fluid power these days. Their gear is top notch.
Dealer service is rite up there, you need to be able to back your product this is where i feel bobcat excels. Their service and parts is just amazing. I have never tried other places so i can't say how good or bad they are.

skidsteer.ca

I do see a few Mustang machines around the place, but nothing like Toyota and bobcat.
As for controls, you would get used to them pretty fast.
Eaton seems to be the biggest in fluid power these days. Their gear is top notch.
Dealer service is rite up there, you need to be able to back your product this is where i feel bobcat excels. Their service and parts is just amazing. I have never tried other places so i can't say how good or bad they are.
I don't know why they are less popular, they look like a decent loader. The few people I have talk to that had one seem to be happy with it. Skidsteers don't have alot of complicated moving parts they are pretty basic. This day and age any company should be able to produce a decent loader. That wheel has been invented for a long while.
I'm sure that certain brands have advantages in various areas but I sure the overall benifits of one brand over another are small these days. They are all pretty good. Especially if you are a low hour user, say 200 hours a year or so. I'd be shopping more based on who I want to deal with for parts and service, and the value of the individual machine to my needs.
If your a commercial user and perfomance is important to you, then you are well advised to demo the various brands on your jobsite and see what features really shine or not in your exact application.
I came real close to buying a Mustang in the past, and I'd consider one again. They have 2 dealers no farther away from me then the Bobcat dealer I like to do business with.
Bobcat is most popular because they really focus there energy on the compact equipment. Of the years they have developed bells and whistles before the competition, but now they are to the point where they are too dominant. There electronics that only their dealers are sold the tools to service, and their newer 7 pin attachment electrical conection that only works with their attachments. Neither of which serve any purpose other then to coerce the owner to deal with them, has kinda turned me off.
Ken

mllud

I don't know why they are less popular, they look like a decent loader. The few people I have talk to that had one seem to be happy with it. Skidsteers don't have alot of complicated moving parts they are pretty basic. This day and age any company should be able to produce a decent loader. That wheel has been invented for a long while.
I'm sure that certain brands have advantages in various areas but I sure the overall benifits of one brand over another are small these days. They are all pretty good. Especially if you are a low hour user, say 200 hours a year or so. I'd be shopping more based on who I want to deal with for parts and service, and the value of the individual machine to my needs.
If your a commercial user and perfomance is important to you, then you are well advised to demo the various brands on your jobsite and see what features really shine or not in your exact application.
I came real close to buying a Mustang in the past, and I'd consider one again. They have 2 dealers no farther away from me then the Bobcat dealer I like to do business with.
Bobcat is most popular because they really focus there energy on the compact equipment. Of the years they have developed bells and whistles before the competition, but now they are to the point where they are too dominant. There electronics that only their dealers are sold the tools to service, and their newer 7 pin attachment electrical conection that only works with their attachments. Neither of which serve any purpose other then to coerce the owner to deal with them, has kinda turned me off.
Ken
Bells and whistles can kill. There was a company named Kearney Trecker.They built Quality milling machines for years. In the early 80:s they added programable features. they crashed,they didnt work ,cronic problems. then came the class action law suits from all the people that bought them. They went bankrupt. My nephew has a mustang and loves it. They have been around a long time. I think bobcat is headed down a dangerous road. I think if their building machines that only use their attachments their over confident. Mike

Land-Tech

Bells and whistles can kill. There was a company named Kearney Trecker.They built Quality milling machines for years. In the early 80:s they added programable features. they crashed,they didnt work ,cronic problems. then came the class action law suits from all the people that bought them. They went bankrupt. My nephew has a mustang and loves it. They have been around a long time. I think bobcat is headed down a dangerous road. I think if their building machines that only use their attachments their over confident. Mike
I have a 2040 that I got in 96 . yanmar engine with a sealed hydralic system.It's a backup now and I keep a set of Grouser tracks on it. I had a older 940 , a 91 that had really hot hydralics, fast and smooth. these models are 743 size but well balanced and nimble. The pins and arm could have been made heavier. and the t- stick is a pain.

2109 Stang

Mustang has been around since 1965, second skid steer mfg after Bobcat, I had a 1996 2040 very reliable machine really quiet ,now I have a 2109 so far very good lots of power cab is very spacious ,all in all I'm happy with Mustang .

chief78cj7

Mustang has been around since 1965, second skid steer mfg after Bobcat, I had a 1996 2040 very reliable machine really quiet ,now I have a 2109 so far very good lots of power cab is very spacious ,all in all I'm happy with Mustang .

Able to find attachments?

Mustang Guy

Have a Mustang MBH9 Backhoe- don't know models that it fits though- Its in Central Texas...tried to add pcis but can't figure out how
Some will fit any standard skid steer quick-attach hitch with two pins, some will have a single pin in the center, and some will be set up for a three point hitch. It all depends on the adapter plates. Just try copying and pasting a pic, like this.

1666417280079.png

TSherm

Some will fit any standard skid steer quick-attach hitch with two pins, some will have a single pin in the center, and some will be set up for a three point hitch. It all depends on the adapter plates. Just try copying and pasting a pic, like this.

View attachment 2562
Can you give me an idea of what they are worth? Mine is very simlar to yours

Attachments

• IMG_20220528_122501543_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220528_122501543_HDR.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 62

Mustang Guy

Can you give me an idea of what they are worth? Mine is very simlar to yours
Not mine, just an example of copy & paste. That example sold at auction in 2014 for $1,375.00, about $1,720.00 in today's dollars. But a lot will depend on age, condition, and location. Just Google 'skid steer backhoe' and you'll get a good cross section of prices. Good luck.
This one also sold at an auction in 2014 for $1,600.00.

1666590280955.png

Latest posts