Mustang 440 NEED HELP

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Courtnolmt

Let me start off with I am not at all mechanically inclined. Just found this site and you guys know alot about this equipment so heres a shot in the dark... My dad recently purchased a Mustang 440 from public auction. The only tag thats on it says it is a 440 model built by owatonna, all other information has been stratched off. We threw a new battery in it and it ran long enough to pull it off the trailer and drive 50ft to where it now stays. All the hydraulics were working. It sat for about 2 months. We went to move it and it wouldnt stay running. So we replaced the fuel pump. A little better, but still wont stay running, we think it has air in the fuel system. So that is my first question. How do we remove ALL the air from the fuel system? We have bled lots of it out but it still wont stay idling smoothly. When it does stay running it lasts maybe 5-10 minutes. None of the hydraulics will work and it wont drive. It is an older machine and only one of the lights comes on for the glow plugs...1 light is missing (closest to ignition) other two dont come on at all. Is there a seat belt safety switch that might be preventing it from moving? If you need anymore information, which I'm sure you guys will let me know and I will run out and get it. If pictures are required I will get some posted and get a link up. Thanks in advance

Tazza

Staff member
Pictures are always required. It will give us ideas as to what could be the cause.
I would doubt its a priming issue as it ran for 5-10 minutes. If there is a problem with priming it won't run that long. When you beleed the system, do you get any air bubbles? What does it do before it stops working? engine bogs down or simply stops?

OP
OP
C

Courtnolmt

Pictures are always required. It will give us ideas as to what could be the cause.
I would doubt its a priming issue as it ran for 5-10 minutes. If there is a problem with priming it won't run that long. When you beleed the system, do you get any air bubbles? What does it do before it stops working? engine bogs down or simply stops?
I will post pictures tomorrow morning of the ins and outs of the machine and engine. We get tons of air bubbles while messing with the priming knob, we still continue to get more air bubbles. Even after its running for 10 minutes it still dies, would air in the lines cause that? How long does it take to properly bleed the whole system? Before it stops working it bogs down bad...sometimes it will correct itself and continue to run or idle down until it dies.

Tazza

Staff member
I will post pictures tomorrow morning of the ins and outs of the machine and engine. We get tons of air bubbles while messing with the priming knob, we still continue to get more air bubbles. Even after its running for 10 minutes it still dies, would air in the lines cause that? How long does it take to properly bleed the whole system? Before it stops working it bogs down bad...sometimes it will correct itself and continue to run or idle down until it dies.
It does sound like an air issue, but it sounds more like you get prime and its losing it. It could be crom a loose hose clamp between the lift pump and the tank or a cracked pickup line in the tank. Can you get a can of fuel, even a plastic bottle will do, get some fuel line and fill the bottle with fuel. Plumb the pickup line from the lift pump to the fresh fuel. See if it runs properly with the rest of the pickup line isolated.
You said you get heaps of bullbles when messing with the fuel lines, its almost definatly an air issue, but you need to find where its coming from.

skidsteer.ca

It does sound like an air issue, but it sounds more like you get prime and its losing it. It could be crom a loose hose clamp between the lift pump and the tank or a cracked pickup line in the tank. Can you get a can of fuel, even a plastic bottle will do, get some fuel line and fill the bottle with fuel. Plumb the pickup line from the lift pump to the fresh fuel. See if it runs properly with the rest of the pickup line isolated.
You said you get heaps of bullbles when messing with the fuel lines, its almost definatly an air issue, but you need to find where its coming from.
If you get it to run properly on a can of fuel. Then it is definitely in your fuel supply system.
So take the return fuel line from engine off the tank and submerge the end of it in a pail of fuel.
Start the engine and look for air bubbles coming from the return line. The return fuel must be absolutely free of air bubbles.
Now hook the suction side back to the fuel tank and see if the return flow is bubble free now. If it is not, you have to find out where air is getting in on the suction side. Bad hoses or lines, loose fitting or clamps. Faulty fuel pump. Faulty pickup in the fuel tank and so on.
Ken

OP
OP
C

Courtnolmt

If you get it to run properly on a can of fuel. Then it is definitely in your fuel supply system.
So take the return fuel line from engine off the tank and submerge the end of it in a pail of fuel.
Start the engine and look for air bubbles coming from the return line. The return fuel must be absolutely free of air bubbles.
Now hook the suction side back to the fuel tank and see if the return flow is bubble free now. If it is not, you have to find out where air is getting in on the suction side. Bad hoses or lines, loose fitting or clamps. Faulty fuel pump. Faulty pickup in the fuel tank and so on.
Ken
Alright thanks guys. I will give that a try. I was wondering if it had something to do with the lines running to the tank. I will post a reply later today and let you know how things went.

OP
OP
C

Courtnolmt

Alright thanks guys. I will give that a try. I was wondering if it had something to do with the lines running to the tank. I will post a reply later today and let you know how things went.
Update: Asked about that solution (running a line to a different tank of diesel) The whole fuel line system has been replaced. I am going to double check all clamps and fittings to makes sure there arent any leaks. It is running better so I am going to assume that we are getting close to getting all the air out. Although I didnt think it would take an hour or two of constant dying and starting to get all the air out. Next time I get on I will post pictures...possibly a video to better describe the whole situation.

JACO

DON'T WANT TO SOUND STUPID BUT ARE YOU SURE THERE IS ENOUGH FUEL IN TANK? JUST ENOUGH TO PRIME AND RUN THEN SUCK AIR AND DIE ???