Mobile paint machine (skidsteer attachment)

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

banzo

So today I was looking at a portable paint machine that I was reconditioning, and was thinking, why not have this mounted on a skidsteer bucket? If I had an extra bucket, I could mount all the equipment inside, and use the auxiliary hydraulics to power it. Anyone want in on this? The only thing I don't have at the moment is something that would convert the hydraulic power into either air power, or even just turn a flywheel/pully that I could belt to an air compressor.

Tazza

Staff member
There is no reason you couldn't plumb the hydraulics to run a compressor. The only thing you'd need is a dump valve to regulate the pressure and expect it to be producing more air than you would ever need. Even at idle, i see your machine being able to produce heaps of air for a spray gun. If anything, i'd setup a portable pallet style unit, get a set of forks and move it around that way. Its self contained, no need for the skid steer to be running burning fuel at a higher rate than a small stationary engine.
Just my thoughts.

OP
OP
banzo

banzo

There is no reason you couldn't plumb the hydraulics to run a compressor. The only thing you'd need is a dump valve to regulate the pressure and expect it to be producing more air than you would ever need. Even at idle, i see your machine being able to produce heaps of air for a spray gun. If anything, i'd setup a portable pallet style unit, get a set of forks and move it around that way. Its self contained, no need for the skid steer to be running burning fuel at a higher rate than a small stationary engine.
Just my thoughts.
Well, you're right about that. The paint machine could be self contained (right now it is). My thought is parking lot painting. If you repaint parking lots, first you sweep (broom attachment), and then you paint (painter attachment). If the nozzle was mounted on the edge of the bucket (doesn't have to be a bucket, but was just the first thing to come to mind), it could slide along the edge from one end to the other (or a railing attachment). Start at one end of the lot, move backwards painting lines. For the last stall, you pull skidsteer out of formation, and manually paint the last line. My paint machine already has a dump valve, so I'm sure I can just use that. When you say plumbing the hydraulics, are you saying actually modifying the pump? Or is there something I could plug into the axillary line at the couplings?

skidsteer.ca

Well, you're right about that. The paint machine could be self contained (right now it is). My thought is parking lot painting. If you repaint parking lots, first you sweep (broom attachment), and then you paint (painter attachment). If the nozzle was mounted on the edge of the bucket (doesn't have to be a bucket, but was just the first thing to come to mind), it could slide along the edge from one end to the other (or a railing attachment). Start at one end of the lot, move backwards painting lines. For the last stall, you pull skidsteer out of formation, and manually paint the last line. My paint machine already has a dump valve, so I'm sure I can just use that. When you say plumbing the hydraulics, are you saying actually modifying the pump? Or is there something I could plug into the axillary line at the couplings?
You would just hook a new hydraulic motor to the front quick couplers.
Ken

skidsteer.ca

Simple enough. Motor in, motor out.
Well kinda,
You have to select a motor with the correc volume of displacement. The motors displacement needs to be matched to the volume of your pump so the motor runs at the correct rpm.
You also have to calculate the sytems pressure to be sure the motor can deliver the hp you need at the rpm you want it to run.
You have roughly 25 hp available off the front couplers though.
Ken

Tazza

Staff member
Well kinda,
You have to select a motor with the correc volume of displacement. The motors displacement needs to be matched to the volume of your pump so the motor runs at the correct rpm.
You also have to calculate the sytems pressure to be sure the motor can deliver the hp you need at the rpm you want it to run.
You have roughly 25 hp available off the front couplers though.
Ken
With the HP available, i just see it being wasted. It won't be doing anywhere near as much work as it could be.
As ken said, you will need to match the flow and pressure. Your machine will do about 16GPM, but that will lower if you reduce your RPM.

OP
OP
banzo

banzo

With the HP available, i just see it being wasted. It won't be doing anywhere near as much work as it could be.
As ken said, you will need to match the flow and pressure. Your machine will do about 16GPM, but that will lower if you reduce your RPM.
You guys are right. Its not hard work for the machine at all. But my thought is if you're at site with the machine already, why not use it? I plan on running my own operation, by myself. If I can increase productivity and reduce man hours, I intend to. If I'm able to build this attachment, my hope is that it would take something that would normally take 4 hours with 3 men, and reduce it to 2 hours with 1 man, or whatever it is I bid on. Why struggle pushing a paint machine around with a crew of 2 others when you can do it by yourself in a cab and push buttons?

skidsteer.ca

You guys are right. Its not hard work for the machine at all. But my thought is if you're at site with the machine already, why not use it? I plan on running my own operation, by myself. If I can increase productivity and reduce man hours, I intend to. If I'm able to build this attachment, my hope is that it would take something that would normally take 4 hours with 3 men, and reduce it to 2 hours with 1 man, or whatever it is I bid on. Why struggle pushing a paint machine around with a crew of 2 others when you can do it by yourself in a cab and push buttons?
Absolutely nothing wrong with it. How much hp does the sprayer use now and what rpm does the motor run?
Ken

OP
OP
banzo

banzo

Absolutely nothing wrong with it. How much hp does the sprayer use now and what rpm does the motor run?
Ken
Those are questions that I unfortunately cannot answer, as I bought the machine non-functional. I'll do research into that using other machine's information.

Tazza

Staff member
Those are questions that I unfortunately cannot answer, as I bought the machine non-functional. I'll do research into that using other machine's information.
If its a petrol engine without a gear reduction box, i would suspect 1,500-2000 RPM. Most petrol engines have a max speed of about 2,500-3,000 RPM. Any higher and the fly wheels are not rated for it and *can* pull apart.
With your setup i see no problem with a slightly slower spinning motor as i'm sure you will be generating more air than is required anyway. Its best to have more than less.

OP
OP
banzo

banzo

If its a petrol engine without a gear reduction box, i would suspect 1,500-2000 RPM. Most petrol engines have a max speed of about 2,500-3,000 RPM. Any higher and the fly wheels are not rated for it and *can* pull apart.
With your setup i see no problem with a slightly slower spinning motor as i'm sure you will be generating more air than is required anyway. Its best to have more than less.
The engine that was removed from the machine was a Briggs and Stratton 8hp horizontal shaft. I didn't buy the machine with the engine, because it didn't run. He took the asking price from $80 down to $20 without the engine. I picked up a different one for $40 that did run.

skidsteer.ca

The engine that was removed from the machine was a Briggs and Stratton 8hp horizontal shaft. I didn't buy the machine with the engine, because it didn't run. He took the asking price from $80 down to $20 without the engine. I picked up a different one for $40 that did run.
So 8 hp at 3600 rpm, unless the engine was equiped with a gear reduction drive. So with a 15 gpm pump a motor with 1.07 cubic inch displacement will give you 3598 rpm. If it is belt driven to the unit then you could play with the pulley ratios to enable the use of different motor displacements to arrive at the desired rpm.
Ken