Melroe M371 mods

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

OP
OP
C

chesterspal

Not sure if this is an issue with all M371's or even with other older Melroe models.

The drive levers do not fully return to the center neutral position on their own. They need to be manually relocated or the machine will continue to move. Since there is quite a bit of play in these levers, forwards and backwards, it's easy to overshoot the return to center and have the machine buck suddenly lurching in the other direction.

To me, this also presents a safety issue since they can be easily nudged when in the cab while moving around or shifting your legs.

IMG_5676.jpg

My "poor mans" solution is to attach two 24" bungee cords to each lever. The hooks of each positioned, by trial and error, into the cage. Tension and height is adjusted until the lever returns to the center from both directions.

IMG_5677.jpg

I also like the fact that there is now resistance to moving the levers forward and backwards. I find that a bit more reassuring than having them just flop back and forth as they did before.

IMG_5678.jpg

Bungee cords have a way of deteriorating over time so these will no doubt need to be replaced each year. That is, unless I can come up with a steel spring replacement as a permanent fix.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

chesterspal

Not sure if this is an issue with all M371's or even with other older Melroe models.
I have since become aware there is a spring down inside the chain case that may be the reason the levers are not returning to center.
The drive levers do not fully return to the center neutral position on their own. They need to be manually relocated or the machine will continue to move. Since there is quite a bit of play in these levers, forwards and backwards, it's easy to overshoot the return to center and have the machine buck suddenly lurching in the other direction.

To me, this also presents a safety issue since they can be easily nudged when in the cab while moving around or shifting your legs.

View attachment 4815

My "poor mans" solution is to attach two 24" bungee cords to each lever. The hooks of each positioned, by trial and error, into the cage. Tension and height is adjusted until the lever returns to the center from both directions.

View attachment 4821

I also like the fact that there is now resistance to moving the levers forward and backwards. I find that a bit more reassuring than having them just flop back and forth as they did before.

View attachment 4822

Bungee cords have a way of deteriorating over time so these will no doubt need to be replaced each year. That is, unless I can come up with a steel spring replacement as a permanent fix.

OP
OP
C

chesterspal

After running my M371 for some 12 hours, over two days, I noticed the left rear wheel was close to falling off. All five of the stud bolts had come half undone. The bolts were now ruined as the threads were completely mashed.

There is quite a bit of discussison on this other forum from years past about these bolts coming loose and various methods others have used to try and solve the problem.

According to my Bobcat dealer, the bolts (which are an older odd size) can still be special ordered from the factory for around $7 apiece. However, I thought I'd try and find another solution.

The OEM bolts are a 1" long, 7/16 x 20 thread... most likely Grade 8. I was able to find some 1.5" Grade 8 bolts with the same pitch and diameter at the local NAPA auto store, along with some hub nuts to fit them. About $4 for the bolt and nut.

IMG_5706.jpg

The top bolt is the OEM version and the bottom is my substutition.

The nut is tightened onto the bolt with some permanent red thread lock applied. I also trimmed the taper of the hub nut a tad on the lathe so that it met the threads.

There is a bit more material on the back of the hub nut that should allow for a tighter fit against the rim when torqued down.

I also plan to use the removable blue thread lock when I replace them. Will see how this works out.

Last edited:

haymaker

In the shop we always used a dab of the red on anything 3/8 or larger. An impact wrench should have no issues removing a lug bolt even with some red on it. Just an FYI.