Melroe Bobcat M500

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

shenninger

Hi there. I'm new here and would like to see if I could ask for some opinions. I have the opportunity to purchase an M500 for $1000- $1500. I've researched as much as I can but haven't found a whole lot of info. From what I can tell it has the 20hp Kohler engine that runs but would need rebuilt. The only reason I'm considering this is because I have the ability to tear the whole thing apart and rebuild it. Even if I repair everything that's worn or broken, would it be reliable? I'm fishing for any information from anyone that knows if this would be a worth while project. Thanks in advance. -scott

sledesigns

Im new here too but have had an M600 for a year, quite similar to the M500. Mine has been taken care of & Id say quite reliable for me and my hourly / yearly use. The M610 (similar mechanical drive train) was made until 1982, along side the hydrostats for 12 years :) The machine is the sum of its parts, only as strong as its weakest link. If things need replaced add up their costs to the cost of machine and compare. $1500 machine, $500 rebuild motor, main drive belt $100, new fluids & filters $100, clutches etc. Find out what it needs and Id bet the folks here can give you a quick guesstimate on dollars. I rather like knowing my old machine inside out and that its up to specs. Oh, I'd put a roll cage or something of the like on the must have list. Hope this is helpful. -another Scott

bobcatbros

Check for availability of overhaul parts. I have heard that they no longer make Kohler engine parts, don't know if it is true.

jerry

Check for availability of overhaul parts. I have heard that they no longer make Kohler engine parts, don't know if it is true.
I saw another post on this engine somewhere, the guy said it was cheaper for him to replace the oem engine with a new one due to parts cost and availability. If you do the engine, some work on the clutches and new tires maybe some cylinder work I can see $3000 or more in it. Some of the parts are cheap and some of the clutch parts are not because they are hardened and ground. They seem to sell for about $3000 around here in working order and they are really handy to have around.

OP
OP
S

shenninger

I saw another post on this engine somewhere, the guy said it was cheaper for him to replace the oem engine with a new one due to parts cost and availability. If you do the engine, some work on the clutches and new tires maybe some cylinder work I can see $3000 or more in it. Some of the parts are cheap and some of the clutch parts are not because they are hardened and ground. They seem to sell for about $3000 around here in working order and they are really handy to have around.
Thanks for the input everyone. I'm hoping when it warms up a little I can take a battery and some gas and try to start this one. The guy that has it feels it will start, but hasn't run it in a few years. From my experience, when anything with a motor sits around for a few years, usually the carb needs rebuilt. BTW, this one DOES already have a cab installed so at least that's one thing off of the todo list!