Magnetic Sweeper Attachment

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

877Silverado

Hello folks! I am apart of a Senior design group project that is looking at creating a magnetic sweeper attachment. We would like your input on our project. What do you currently use to clean up nails, screws, and other ferrous debris from a job site? If a manufacturer sold a device that picked up this debris down to 3 inches in the soil and collected it all in a hopper to dump into a 40 yard roll off container, what design specifications would you want to see it have? What would be the largest objects you would expect it to pick up? Would you rather have its own dedicated attachment or something that clamped on a bucket? Any other input or suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

Tazza

Staff member
Sounds interesting, yet a pretty small market for it. Most building sites just scoop things up and throw in a skip bin to be dumped. Concrete of turb is then put down, so any nails etc would just be covered up.
I'd be interested in seeing what you come up with though.

mark18mwm

I think it would sell. scrap yards especially could use something like this. I drove semi truck many years hauling lumber. Quite a few places I went the fork lifts had magnets hanging below the fork lift to pick things up before they got stuck in tires, they do work too, i'v seen it myself. they were permanent magnets that had to be manually cleaned off. In my opinion, something that could be used by forks might be the handiest. Then you are not limited to only equipment with a quick attach or permanent mount. On most job sites there is something with forks running around, to just slip it on, plug it in (electro mag I would assume) and go.