M610 cold weather performance

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Csangster

If everything is working as it should, is there any reason why my M610 shouldn't work just fine? I would expect the hydraulics to be slow, but still function. I am having a terrible time with my M610 Hydraulic issues I just can't figure out. Thought my hydraulic pump was bad, replaced it and still have the problem. Quite frustrating

gearbox

I don't know what the problem is . I had one that was getting air from the bypass where the 4 lines go to the steering clutch . Under the return manifold is a hose that goes to the suction tube to the pump . In the manifold is a spring and a check . Mine had a little stone holding the check open . the pump would not prime .

foton

I don't know what the problem is . I had one that was getting air from the bypass where the 4 lines go to the steering clutch . Under the return manifold is a hose that goes to the suction tube to the pump . In the manifold is a spring and a check . Mine had a little stone holding the check open . the pump would not prime .
I assume you have checked the filter , if it does not flow well the pump can not pressurize as it should.

Tazza

Staff member
I assume you have checked the filter , if it does not flow well the pump can not pressurize as it should.
Once it's warm, there is no reason why it shouldn't work the same as it did in summer, only running a little cooler.
I read for hydrostatic machines, that in really cold weather that you should let them run for a while to let the oil get warm and thin out a little.
What is your pump doing? as you have replaced it, you know it's good, there aren't a lot of parts to the hydraulic system. Filter, valve, oil cooler.

rodbuilder

If you already replaced the pump, and talking really cold, you can use Western snow plow oil in the hydraulic system! It's formulated to work in COLD weather!!! You might also check the inside of your hoses and see if it's rotted out inside. If it is, it will have little rubber flaps in it that will impede oil flow. And don't forget the filter!!!

rodbuilder

I cant remember, but if I'm right on this, a 610 is NOT hydrostatic! The only thing the hydraulics do on it is work the boom and bucket! I know that on the 300 series this is true and that the motivation part of the machine is controlled by turn brakes, like on an old bulldozer. The brakes on the Bobcat are actually clutches! That whole system is a piece of junk and a bear to work on!!!! I think that 610 has SIX chains just on one side of it! I'm absolutely thrilled that whoever designed it (my guess would be a 5th grader!!) had nothing to do with my 2011 Chevy pickup!!!

rodbuilder

PS: If by "work" you mean "run", in the winter, I always use 93 octane gas in all of my small engines. That will ensure better starts, as well as improvimg the machine's power! I was towing my big, 22 ft tilt bed trailer a few weeks ago, with my 2011 Chevy that has a 6.0 gasser in it. i was in Iowa with 30-45 mph winds and had a 14 foot aluminum dump box on it!!! Kinda like dragging a big parachute if ya know what i mean?!!! Every time I hit a hill the truck just rolled over and died like a big fat dog!! So when I stopped for gas I filled it up with 91 octane and added a small bottle of unstated octane Gumout octane booster to the tank and WOW, what a difference that made! No increase in water temp and no more downshifting on those long Iowa hills!!! Moral? Use good gas in the winter!