lx865 Rubbing hyd. hoses

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

mllud

The hyd. hoses running from the pumps to the hyd. motors cross each other. I have tried re situating the elbows to give clearance between them,theres not enough room. They are wearing hard against each other. Can I clamp them together at the point that they cross. I thought of cutting a piece of tire side wall to put between them and under the clamp.To prevent the clamp from wearing into them. It would be nice if someplace sold a clamp like the ones that clamp the smaller lines going to the bucket cylinders. They clamp side by side and to the frame Thanks Mike

Tazza

Staff member
I would put a piece of rubber between them, even clamping them together won't help. When they build up pressure they will twitch, no matter how tight you clamp them they will move!
It will take a long time to cause any problems.

skidsteer.ca

I would put a piece of rubber between them, even clamping them together won't help. When they build up pressure they will twitch, no matter how tight you clamp them they will move!
It will take a long time to cause any problems.
It's not a good idea to clamp them rigid, they are going to expand every time the pressure rises, and contract when it falls. Putting more rubber between them may help, but just use cable ties to hold it there.
Other option are more heavy duty hoses, ie 4 braid, varing hose length, fitting with different angles or custom made (cut and weld back together) at the angle you need.
Are the failures coming frequently? ,or are you just trying to prevent the problem, sometimes in a tough senario, you just have to put up with a hose that needs to be changed every XXX hours as part of the preventative maintenance. Though I personally hate that senario too.
Regards
Ken

OP
OP
mllud

mllud

It's not a good idea to clamp them rigid, they are going to expand every time the pressure rises, and contract when it falls. Putting more rubber between them may help, but just use cable ties to hold it there.
Other option are more heavy duty hoses, ie 4 braid, varing hose length, fitting with different angles or custom made (cut and weld back together) at the angle you need.
Are the failures coming frequently? ,or are you just trying to prevent the problem, sometimes in a tough senario, you just have to put up with a hose that needs to be changed every XXX hours as part of the preventative maintenance. Though I personally hate that senario too.
Regards
Ken
i did put a piece of rubber between them.The hoses cross at a 90. Thhe previous owner replaced them . He said they didnt have many hours. They look new and are thru steel cords.I fouund the sharp edges with my hand. NASTY. I am watching them and will try different lengths if I have to replace them.This is the 4 hoses running between the two hydrostatic pumps and the hyd. motors They dont have much flex to seperate them Thanks for responses from all. Mike

Tazza

Staff member
i did put a piece of rubber between them.The hoses cross at a 90. Thhe previous owner replaced them . He said they didnt have many hours. They look new and are thru steel cords.I fouund the sharp edges with my hand. NASTY. I am watching them and will try different lengths if I have to replace them.This is the 4 hoses running between the two hydrostatic pumps and the hyd. motors They dont have much flex to seperate them Thanks for responses from all. Mike
These should be 4 wire hoses, there are 4 layers of these wires. it will take a long time to wear through if you sit rubber between them. Those high tensile wire sure are nasty, i have been cut by them before......