LX665 - no start after short circuit.

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

FLEKN

Hi folks,

I am joining this forum to get tips and tricks to get my NH LX665 going again.

A few weeks ago I was removing air from the fuel lines by loosening fuel lines at the injection nozzles. Unfortunately my helper put the spanner in a position resulting in a short circuit between the positive main electrical supply for the glow plugs and one of the fuel line union nuts.

Now - when I sit in the seat, there is no reaction from seat safety switches. It show a constant "1" in the display (see attached photo) appears like some kind of current leak as it is constantly there when key is in the "off" position. When I turn the key to start position some diodes flash up like 0,5 seconds and all dies out.

Service / run switch in "service" position.

Service switch has been disassembled, cleaned and reassembled. I trust that it is working as intended.

New original interlock relay installed.

Instrument cluster is with "gray" lines - not the later "gold lines" version, but it seems to be in a good condition. No obvious signs of corrosion issues on the actual PCB when looking at the back and inside of it. (But I am not an expert)

I have +12V on the battery screw on the back of the key.

All fuses checked/measured.

Battery not that old. Fully charged. Voltage at battery is 13.3V

Starter and flywheel running fine when feeding red cable directly from battery.

Measuring 12.3V on one side of start relay when key in off position but it will drop to zero when key is turned into run position.

What can this short circuit have done to the battery, relays, instrument cluster, safety devices….etc. ?

Any advice where to begin?

Thanks in advance for your willingness to help and share your experience.

/Flemming

Attachments

• 91FFB63F-1172-488B-AE6D-6CC0A791CF1B.jpeg
    91FFB63F-1172-488B-AE6D-6CC0A791CF1B.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 79
Last edited:

Shanmar

The glow plugs are powered by the preheat relay. Maybe it's damaged and causing an issue. Here's some info on it from an LS160/170 manual (I bet they are the same as an LX). Maybe unhook the LT BL/Y wire that triggers the relay from the EIC and see if anything changes.

Attachments

• 20220923_000437.jpg
    20220923_000437.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 77
  • 20220923_000408.jpg
    20220923_000408.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 86
OP
OP
F

FLEKN

The glow plugs are powered by the preheat relay. Maybe it's damaged and causing an issue. Here's some info on it from an LS160/170 manual (I bet they are the same as an LX). Maybe unhook the LT BL/Y wire that triggers the relay from the EIC and see if anything changes.
Thanks Shanmar.

Problem solved. Luckily it was not as bad as I had expected. Bad connection at the relay on the left side in the engine room. Lesson learned is that ALL connections should be disassembled and cleaned well to ensure proper connections 😊

ryan05

Hi folks,

I am joining this forum to get tips and tricks to get my NH LX665 going again.

A few weeks ago I was removing air from the fuel lines by loosening fuel lines at the injection nozzles. Unfortunately my helper put the spanner in a position resulting in a short circuit between the positive main electrical supply for the glow plugs and one of the fuel line union nuts.

Now - when I sit in the seat, there is no reaction from seat safety switches. It show a constant "1" in the display (see attached photo) appears like some kind of current leak as it is constantly there when key is in the "off" position. When I turn the key to start position some diodes flash up like 0,5 seconds and all dies out.

Service / run switch in "service" position.

Service switch has been disassembled, cleaned and reassembled. I trust that it is working as intended.

New original interlock relay installed.

Instrument cluster is with "gray" lines - not the later "gold lines" version, but it seems to be in a good condition. No obvious signs of corrosion issues on the actual PCB when looking at the back and inside of it. (But I am not an expert)

I have +12V on the battery screw on the back of the key.

All fuses checked/measured.

Battery not that old. Fully charged. Voltage at battery is 13.3V

Starter and flywheel running fine when feeding red cable directly from battery.

Measuring 12.3V on one side of start relay when key in off position but it will drop to zero when key is turned into run position.

What can this short circuit have done to the battery, relays, instrument cluster, safety devices….etc. ?

Any advice where to begin?

Thanks in advance for your willingness to help and share your experience.

/Flemming
It's the square black fuse top left of box. That gets water on it and messes up