LX 565 ... changing wheels???

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

xtreem3d

hi guys, i just won an auction on ebay for a 565 single speed , which is fine , but was wondering if there is any negative to try putting on bigger wheels to get it to go faster? like strain on pumps ect? where could i find a good source and what would you think a max size might be?, thanks, steve

Tazza

Staff member
If they will still fut under the lift arms and not touch the frame you won't notice a huge difference, you may have a problem with bucket angle though as you will be higher up. Power i can't see being a big issue as you will only have X amount of force you can apply so you won't strain your motors/pumps plus they have reliefs.

skidsteer.ca

If they will still fut under the lift arms and not touch the frame you won't notice a huge difference, you may have a problem with bucket angle though as you will be higher up. Power i can't see being a big issue as you will only have X amount of force you can apply so you won't strain your motors/pumps plus they have reliefs.
You should be fine. Depends some on your application. I have seen 773 bobs with 12 by 16.5 tires which speeds them up a noticable amount. I have been wanting to try 12"s with tracks for drill holes in a swampy piece of fence line on my fathers place. If you are doing heavy pushing or hill climbing you may find yourself running out of torque on the wheel as it will act like its been put in a "higher gear".
Ken

OP
OP
X

xtreem3d

You should be fine. Depends some on your application. I have seen 773 bobs with 12 by 16.5 tires which speeds them up a noticable amount. I have been wanting to try 12"s with tracks for drill holes in a swampy piece of fence line on my fathers place. If you are doing heavy pushing or hill climbing you may find yourself running out of torque on the wheel as it will act like its been put in a "higher gear".
Ken
thanks for the responses..this may indicate what a knucklehead i am but i thought the difference in 12x16.5 and 10x16.5 was only the width of the tire. i guess i thought i would need something like a 17" or better wheel? am i not gettin' it? steve

skidsteer.ca

thanks for the responses..this may indicate what a knucklehead i am but i thought the difference in 12x16.5 and 10x16.5 was only the width of the tire. i guess i thought i would need something like a 17" or better wheel? am i not gettin' it? steve
12" tires are 1 to 2" taller, If not sure what the next tire size is for height or width, you tire supplier could help I guess. It would really come down to how much clearance there is for the top of the tire to the frame or boom of the machine. Also you would want to consider what percentage your increasing the speed of the machine. If you get a tire that makes you go 20% faster your will lose 20% of your pushing power. You have to consider the trade off for your application.
I'd also like some tall skinny tire for snow plowing where more speed would be great. The lost torque would not matter because its easy to spinout in snow anyway. However this combination would be useless for something like digging virgin earth with a tooth bucket as you would not be able to push vary hard.
Ken

OP
OP
X

xtreem3d

12" tires are 1 to 2" taller, If not sure what the next tire size is for height or width, you tire supplier could help I guess. It would really come down to how much clearance there is for the top of the tire to the frame or boom of the machine. Also you would want to consider what percentage your increasing the speed of the machine. If you get a tire that makes you go 20% faster your will lose 20% of your pushing power. You have to consider the trade off for your application.
I'd also like some tall skinny tire for snow plowing where more speed would be great. The lost torque would not matter because its easy to spinout in snow anyway. However this combination would be useless for something like digging virgin earth with a tooth bucket as you would not be able to push vary hard.
Ken
thanks ken...this application is for snow pushing

Earthwerks Unlimited

thanks ken...this application is for snow pushing
My buddy had 12" on his Ls170 (about the same size as yours?). The only issue he had was he had to turn the 10" rims around to gain clearance and the biggest thing was his bucket rear was 1-1/2" higher off the ground than the front which made for fine grading nearly impossible. And if you use the bucket for any length of time on pavement sufficient enough to grind down the leading edge of the cutting edge, when you go back to 10" tires the bucket cutting edge will now have a reverse-ground leading edge--the top of the cutting edge will stick oput further than the bottom causing the bucket to ride up and over hard dirt. I have the same issues on my LS185.b and my buckets when I take off my tracks.