LS180 head gasket problem

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

SKelly

We have a LS180 with a 332T/JF engine and have had problems with the head gasket. We removed the head and found the gasket blown in several places on all cylinders. The deck checked good and we found that some one had done a horrible job resurfacing the head. We had the head resurfaced and pressure tested. The nozzles were rebuilt and new bolts were used. We followed the torque procedures listed in the manual. The machine ran for a few weeks and has started putting pressure back into the cooling circuit. Does this engine have a history of blowing head gaskets? Is there a unusual test or step that we are missing. There no evidence of either or overheating. Thanks

Tazza

Staff member
Did you re-tension the head after you warmed it up? Head gaskets do *crush* after they have been installed so you need to run them and re-tension them. I haven't heard of any problems with them blowing head gaskets, as far as i was aware they were a pretty good engine.

charger

Did you re-tension the head after you warmed it up? Head gaskets do *crush* after they have been installed so you need to run them and re-tension them. I haven't heard of any problems with them blowing head gaskets, as far as i was aware they were a pretty good engine.
we have sold over 80 of these units and had no head gasket problems