Longer wheelbase machines

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

500K_773

This weekend I was using my brother-in-law's 873 to load logs on a trailer so I could use my machine to offload them at the destination. After I was finished hauling logs, I decided to see how my 773 stacked up against his 873. Of course, the 873 had my machine beat in raw horsepower, but the biggest difference I noticed was in the ride of the machine. My 773 always feels "bouncy" going over anything that is not smooth. The 873 pretty much smoothed out the bumps. This resulted in being able to travel faster across the jobsite and less operator fatigue. I looked up the specs for the two machines and found the difference in wheelbase length. The 773 is 40.6" and the 873 is 48.8". It is amazing what that extra 8.2" can do for the ride of the machine All I can say is if I was to buy another machine, it would definately have a longer wheelbase than my current 773. Obviously if the machine size is limited by the work environment, you could not get a larger machine; but if size is not a problem go for the longest wheelbase machine you can afford.

864wood

Not that I am trying to be a jerk, but if you would just buy that track loader the stabilization problem would be solved. They are 18" wide per side and 7' long with an average ground pressure of 4lbs per sq '. Pretty neat and great on soft ground.

Tigerotor77W

Not that I am trying to be a jerk, but if you would just buy that track loader the stabilization problem would be solved. They are 18" wide per side and 7' long with an average ground pressure of 4lbs per sq '. Pretty neat and great on soft ground.
Yup. That's why NH was making those claims of productivity back in 1994 when Bobcat was still selling its 753 and 853 as its best models. And 864's got a point... buying a track machine smooths things over even more -- especially if the undercarriage is suspended (Cat and ASV).

OP
OP
500K_773

500K_773

Yup. That's why NH was making those claims of productivity back in 1994 when Bobcat was still selling its 753 and 853 as its best models. And 864's got a point... buying a track machine smooths things over even more -- especially if the undercarriage is suspended (Cat and ASV).
A track machine will definate smooth out rough terrain more than a rubber tire machine, but they also slam you pretty hard when transversing something like a curb or log. Sure you are not going to keep going back and forth over an obstacle like this, but it sure gives you a jolt when you do. A suspended track machine may help also, but Bobcat does not have any at this time.

864wood

A track machine will definate smooth out rough terrain more than a rubber tire machine, but they also slam you pretty hard when transversing something like a curb or log. Sure you are not going to keep going back and forth over an obstacle like this, but it sure gives you a jolt when you do. A suspended track machine may help also, but Bobcat does not have any at this time.
I am not familiar with the suspended suspension system, unless its like a torsion bar system on modern tanks. I have seen ASV abortions up close and my comments should speak for them selves. The biggest problem I forsee with the tracks is damaging the lower guide rollers and then having to replace them. This could happen with abusive treatment on curbs etc... I will look into this however.

Tigerotor77W

I am not familiar with the suspended suspension system, unless its like a torsion bar system on modern tanks. I have seen ASV abortions up close and my comments should speak for them selves. The biggest problem I forsee with the tracks is damaging the lower guide rollers and then having to replace them. This could happen with abusive treatment on curbs etc... I will look into this however.
Torsion system. What comments were you referring to about speaking for themselves?

Latest posts