Log Splitter Types

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Whaleya

I'm looking for a log splitter and having trouble deciding on what type to get. Normal, normal with a log lift, upside down, transverse (wheel to wheel), or vertical. I'll be using it to split my own firewood, not for commercial use. Does anyone have any suggestions? -W

wildmanben

I am looking to build one and after some research I think I am going to build one thats upside down so I can stay in the machine and not have to get out to split logs. Then you can use it to grab logs and reposistion logs as well. Just my opinion. Buy/Build what suits your needs. We have a lots of large logs so thats my reasoning on the upside down style.

bludorbronc

Go to youtube and look up Loflin Fabrication and see if it looks like what your looking for...
hi, i built my log splitter using a 8" i beam. i drilled my bucket so i could bolt the cylinder end of the splitter to the bottom of the bucket. that way the splitter is sticking out horizontal, so i can stand beside it and split out of a pickup or angle the bucket vertical and roll the big ones onto the base and split vertical never having to pick up the big ones.

ancomcabs

hi, i built my log splitter using a 8" i beam. i drilled my bucket so i could bolt the cylinder end of the splitter to the bottom of the bucket. that way the splitter is sticking out horizontal, so i can stand beside it and split out of a pickup or angle the bucket vertical and roll the big ones onto the base and split vertical never having to pick up the big ones.
Bludrbronc- Any chance of a few pictures of your splitter? Thanks

azeller22

Bludrbronc- Any chance of a few pictures of your splitter? Thanks
I haven't done it yet, but I bought an older Brave Hor/Vert 24Ton splitter that has an 8hp Briggs that I've been using. I'm going to modify it to work with some pallet forks and I'll be able to use it a variety of ways since I am terrible at making decisio:

-use it as originally intended but be able to move it around easily with the skid steer forks. This way if the skid steer breaks down I can still split wood.

-use it mounted to the one pallet fork right underneath the I-beam and use the splitter valve but hooked up to the machine hydraulic pressure. The hor/vert feature can still be used. Will be detached from the splitter base. This way I can have a nice quiet splitter and still put my boy to work while I nap in the skid steer.

-mounted to the pallet fork upside down and use the skid steer aux pedal. Keep in the hor position and operate strictly from the machine. For other obvious lazy, I mean productive, reasons.