Lift arm locking Device

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Rich M-37

I was starting my axel bearing replacement today. My leanto around the shed is 10 feet high. I cannot get the locking bar on the cylinder, because I cannot fully lift up the lift arms under the shed. This is the question I am asking, IS it possible to change the wheel bearings with the lift arms down? I was thinking of modifying the lift arm locking bar by shorting it. It appears that the lock was designed to be installed only at the fully raised position, that puts the forgred aluminum bar straight up. It is an 1997 873c loader. If I shorten it is it still safe? I am writing this because I have doubts. Even shortening the locking bar, chaining the boom to the ceiling rafers and supporting it with a 4x4, once I loosen the drive hoses, no pressure down comes boom!. Or should I just set it up out side? Once I start It will be sitting for a few weeks. Thanks , Rich M-37

coreya3212

Rich, I am in a simialr situation. Not do to head room, but my old 825 has no lock bar, maybe they never did when this old girl was built. I raised the arms and have a 2x4 wedged in there under the arm and sitting inside on the frame. As a redundant catch, I had a piece of steel tubing, so I clamped it to the arms, so if my 2x4 ever slips and the arms came down, the bar would only allow the arms to come down a foot or so before the steel bar hits the concrete. I put the wood in place and lowered the arms on it with hyd pressure and coulndt bend or buckle the 2x4 so I feel under just the dead weight of the arms its never gonna move. I also give it a good pull push in all directions to make sure it wont go any way on its own.
I feel with a couple supports as you have mentioned plus a chain to the rafters in the event either of the others failed, you should be safe. But the biggest question is, do you feel safe?
that said, I am now gonna go out and figure a 2nd back up, as your thread has me thinking I should not feel over confident in a couple 2x4's.

OP
OP
R

Rich M-37

Rich, I am in a simialr situation. Not do to head room, but my old 825 has no lock bar, maybe they never did when this old girl was built. I raised the arms and have a 2x4 wedged in there under the arm and sitting inside on the frame. As a redundant catch, I had a piece of steel tubing, so I clamped it to the arms, so if my 2x4 ever slips and the arms came down, the bar would only allow the arms to come down a foot or so before the steel bar hits the concrete. I put the wood in place and lowered the arms on it with hyd pressure and coulndt bend or buckle the 2x4 so I feel under just the dead weight of the arms its never gonna move. I also give it a good pull push in all directions to make sure it wont go any way on its own.
I feel with a couple supports as you have mentioned plus a chain to the rafters in the event either of the others failed, you should be safe. But the biggest question is, do you feel safe?
that said, I am now gonna go out and figure a 2nd back up, as your thread has me thinking I should not feel over confident in a couple 2x4's.
corya3212, I question a shortened lock bar, Because when the 873 boom is lifted all the way up it has 4 posts to sit on at an almost verticalpostion. The boom is heavy I believe a shortened locking device should hold it, a chain through the rafters as insurance, But it scares me none the less. It has to be safty first, I work alone, if it fails It really is serious injury or death. I hate to put off starting the bearing replacement, but I will talk to the Bobcat service manager, I have a good rapore with him. If he recommends that the boom needs to be up to do the job I will be doing it outside and covering it up each night untilI finish. It has to be safty first! I don't want them to made a video of my stupidity. Rich M-37

bobbie-g

corya3212, I question a shortened lock bar, Because when the 873 boom is lifted all the way up it has 4 posts to sit on at an almost verticalpostion. The boom is heavy I believe a shortened locking device should hold it, a chain through the rafters as insurance, But it scares me none the less. It has to be safty first, I work alone, if it fails It really is serious injury or death. I hate to put off starting the bearing replacement, but I will talk to the Bobcat service manager, I have a good rapore with him. If he recommends that the boom needs to be up to do the job I will be doing it outside and covering it up each night untilI finish. It has to be safty first! I don't want them to made a video of my stupidity. Rich M-37
Looks like you two have thought this through pretty well. I had a similar situation with my lightweight 751. I used a 4x4 to support the arms instead of the safety bar, although I didn't crack the hoses/fittings on the lift arms. I did have the ROPS cab raised at the same time and noticed one of the front wheels was not on the concrete. I think I was very lucky the machine didn't tip over backwards. I'll never do that dumb stunt again. All it takes to make it safe (in that regard) is a handful of blocks under the rear of the machine. Keep that one in mind when you're raising stuff up then working on the machine. :) ---RC

Tazza

Staff member
Looks like you two have thought this through pretty well. I had a similar situation with my lightweight 751. I used a 4x4 to support the arms instead of the safety bar, although I didn't crack the hoses/fittings on the lift arms. I did have the ROPS cab raised at the same time and noticed one of the front wheels was not on the concrete. I think I was very lucky the machine didn't tip over backwards. I'll never do that dumb stunt again. All it takes to make it safe (in that regard) is a handful of blocks under the rear of the machine. Keep that one in mind when you're raising stuff up then working on the machine. :) ---RC
If it was me, and i had limited space like that and wanted the arms out of the way. I'd remove the bucket and lift the arms, chain them to a support and put a jack under the back of the machine.
The problem if you are working on axle seals, you need the wheels off the ground too.
I don't believe you need the arms off the ground, it may help slightly with access, but with the ROPS up, i think you'll get more than enough access to pull the axles out. I almost never work on a machine with the arms up, i have never had any issues with not lifting them out of the way either.

OP
OP
R

Rich M-37

If it was me, and i had limited space like that and wanted the arms out of the way. I'd remove the bucket and lift the arms, chain them to a support and put a jack under the back of the machine.
The problem if you are working on axle seals, you need the wheels off the ground too.
I don't believe you need the arms off the ground, it may help slightly with access, but with the ROPS up, i think you'll get more than enough access to pull the axles out. I almost never work on a machine with the arms up, i have never had any issues with not lifting them out of the way either.
I appreciate the posts about the lift arms beig raised. I think that I will do the job with the boom in the down position. Thanks, Rich M-37

Latest posts