lets talk 963 bobcat

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

mikie

i'm looking at a 963. anyone out there have anything good or bad to say about it other than its huge? any input will be appreciated, mikie

bobcat_ron

My Dad had a 943, the precursor to the 53 and 63, all I know is they are not made anymore unless you request it from the factory and they were real slugs on power, the T-300 has more oomph than the 963 did. Something that big is almost as big as an industrial front end loader, heck, even the same height at the cab, so it's not as popular anymore.

Eric

Its a great machine for demolition, grading, and loading trucks. Parts may be getting harder to find. What do you plan on using this machine for and how many hours does it have on it?

OP
OP
M

mikie

Its a great machine for demolition, grading, and loading trucks. Parts may be getting harder to find. What do you plan on using this machine for and how many hours does it have on it?
mainly just some serious landscaping on a couple acres. the post above you has me concerned about them being a pooch. how could something that big be low on power. i understand they have a 100 hp perkins in them?

bobcat_ron

mainly just some serious landscaping on a couple acres. the post above you has me concerned about them being a pooch. how could something that big be low on power. i understand they have a 100 hp perkins in them?
They are slow as a dead dog, powerful, but slow, an S300 can literally do circles around it like a hyperactive ADD kid on crack cocaine, you might as well get a 100 hp articulated front end loader, at least it's got better ground speeds.

skidsteer.ca

They are slow as a dead dog, powerful, but slow, an S300 can literally do circles around it like a hyperactive ADD kid on crack cocaine, you might as well get a 100 hp articulated front end loader, at least it's got better ground speeds.
943 was only 74 hp compared to the 963 105 hp, Historical specs don't list a max speed for either model but I'm sure between 1985 and 1995 the wheel speeds would have increased.
The 963 boast a 3000 lb roc (same as s300) and weights 9900 lbs and has a 26 gpm hyd pump, and I don't see it listed in hist specs but I though a 2 speed was at least a option if not std equipment.
943 is 8900 lbs , roc of 2400 and a 24 gpm pump, flow is close but otherwise it is a fair bit less loader.
Sure the new s 250 and 300 and 330 will likely out perform it but you talking a 30 or 40 k machine versus a $12k one.
Provided you have a truck big enough to haul it or don't need to, and getting into tight spaces is not a concern, a 963 would be a good choice for severe service or if the price is right for any skidsteer task imho.
Ken

Eric

I have both an S300 and a 963. I wouldn't describe it as slow. It may be slower than an S300 but I wouldn't describe it as slow. I believe the two speed was a standard option on the 963. Even though they both have the same lift capacity, the 963 is still slightly stronger than the S300. I know this because I use my 1.2 cu. yard smooth edge bucket from my 963 and use it on the S300. The S300 cant handle that bucket heaped to capacity like the 963 can. Also the tires are smaller on the S300 so I do notice less traction and grip when trying to dig into hard soil. But so far I do enjoy running my new S300 with 2 speed. It really flies in high gear. I personally would take a 963 over a small wheel loader any day. I don't run skid steers mainly for ground speeds, mostly for maneuverability. It sounds like a 963 may work well for you.

Fishfiles

I have both an S300 and a 963. I wouldn't describe it as slow. It may be slower than an S300 but I wouldn't describe it as slow. I believe the two speed was a standard option on the 963. Even though they both have the same lift capacity, the 963 is still slightly stronger than the S300. I know this because I use my 1.2 cu. yard smooth edge bucket from my 963 and use it on the S300. The S300 cant handle that bucket heaped to capacity like the 963 can. Also the tires are smaller on the S300 so I do notice less traction and grip when trying to dig into hard soil. But so far I do enjoy running my new S300 with 2 speed. It really flies in high gear. I personally would take a 963 over a small wheel loader any day. I don't run skid steers mainly for ground speeds, mostly for maneuverability. It sounds like a 963 may work well for you.
I personally find the 963 a slow and poor manuvering machine , very arkward steering and is not very good in soft dirt or sand , it is a horse as far as work that it can do , a good machine for bulk plants or demo of concrete when it is on stable ground , but a poor machine to spread dirt with at least around here with our soil conditions , the 963 and 980's are very rare here in New Orleans on job sites except for along the river where they are the number one choice and put into barges by cranes to help unload , I also find that they do break down alot and are expensive to fix when they do

2109 Stang

I personally find the 963 a slow and poor manuvering machine , very arkward steering and is not very good in soft dirt or sand , it is a horse as far as work that it can do , a good machine for bulk plants or demo of concrete when it is on stable ground , but a poor machine to spread dirt with at least around here with our soil conditions , the 963 and 980's are very rare here in New Orleans on job sites except for along the river where they are the number one choice and put into barges by cranes to help unload , I also find that they do break down alot and are expensive to fix when they do
The first time I saw one fell in love with it ,when it came time to purchase one there was way to many of the large frame machines around and the 963 looked a little out dated and I deside on the big Mustang , I do admit that I still like the way they look kind of massive and big by all means , but I'm sure they are not match for most large skids any more ,never opperated one so no comments on that.