leave lift cylinders on machine to pull apart to reseal? Also not sure how to get front piece/seal off cylinder?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

1816case

Mitey Mac 8b- Was going to take the two lift rams off and put in seal kits.. Any reason I can't just raise lift- put in safety support and pull them apart while rear of ram is still connected to machine?

LeoB

I am in the process of a ground up restoration of an 8B. While you could, in theory, leave the lift cylinders in place with one end connected and the other end loose, I would not recommend it. I took my cylinders to a local hydraulic shop. They fought with both of them on the bench and finally got the ends off to do seal replacement. No way did I have the tools, torches or enough hands to loosen things up. Best $350 I've spent recently.

But if you want to try in place...

Start with detaching the bucket from the boom. The boom will need to be raised in order to access the lift cylinders to get room to work if you try to do the seal with repair with the cylinders in place. Scope out how high you have to lift the boom to get enough room to work before you remove cylinder bolts. BLOCK THE BOOM IN PLACE. IF IT DROPS, WHILE YOU ARE WORKING UNDER IT, YOU COULD BE SERIOUSLY INJURED OR KILLED. SAFETY IS PARAMOUNT!

Assuming your 8B has the ROP (roll over protection) cage in place, you'll need to tilt that up or remove it depending on which version you have. You need to do this to access the bolts holding the lift cylinders to the boom and frame.

There several versions of cylinders on the 8B, see the attached PDF with this post. Best of luck to you.

Attachments

• 8b_Hydraulic_cylinders.pdf
    7.5 MB · Views: 104
OP
OP

1816case

Thanks Leo- I decided to just take them off. I have 2 support braces I made to keep boom up. Very heavy duty square tube about 4 ft long. they have a 'U' shaped steel cup welded on top side to cradle lower edges of boom. bucket is off. I figure with off and I can't get gland nut off at least they are on my bench cleaned up and just have to find shop to do them. I had bought 2 seal kits already.

LeoB

To 1816Case,

If you are anywhere near Cedar Rapids, Iowa, I can recommend a great shop that did my 8B cylinders. The shop is called HYDRA-FAB and is located in Hiawatha, Iowa. Top shelf team of people and they know their stuff.

Leo

OP
OP

1816case

To 1816Case,

If you are anywhere near Cedar Rapids, Iowa, I can recommend a great shop that did my 8B cylinders. The shop is called HYDRA-FAB and is located in Hiawatha, Iowa. Top shelf team of people and they know their stuff.

Leo
I'm in WI.. but thanks.

Tango-Charlie

I'm not sure where you live in WI but I'm around the Madison area. We've always used Burow Cylinder & Driveshaft Repair located at 5227 US-12, Middleton, WI 53562. They do not have a website, but you can search them on the web or give them a call at 6088279074 and see if they can help you. They've been around for a long time and don't advertise or have a website because they have more than enough business by just word of mouth. Hope this helps.

OP
OP

1816case

I'm not sure where you live in WI but I'm around the Madison area. We've always used Burow Cylinder & Driveshaft Repair located at 5227 US-12, Middleton, WI 53562. They do not have a website, but you can search them on the web or give them a call at 6088279074 and see if they can help you. They've been around for a long time and don't advertise or have a website because they have more than enough business by just word of mouth. Hope this helps.
Thanks! If I fail in attempt- I surely will get a hold of them! I'm 14 miles from Madison ( Brooklyn)