Leak from drain plug of hydraulic tank (s220)

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

ylsf

I am getting a leak from the plug on the bottom of the hydraulic tank. I have been seeing small amounts of hydraulic oil on the ground for a while but sometimes it doesn't come (intermittent). When our service guy came last time it wasn't leaking. He tried tightening up some connections through the side holes on the machine but I guess that was unrelated because today I discovered where the leak was coming from. I took off the small bottom plate on the machine (not knowing what was underneath) and after cleaning it off observed that the hydraulic is coming from the plug. I am attaching a picture. What can go wrong with this? I don't know how the plug is designed and I don't want to touch it until I understand better. Is there a way to tighten it or is there a seal that could go bad? What is the best option to fix it?

http://g.imageshack.us/img509/img0462js2.jpg/1/]
w2048.png
[/URL]

OP
OP
Y

ylsf

I can't seem to edit my original post. Here is a better link to the picture: http://img509.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0462js2.jpg
OK, it looks like that might not be a drain . I just looked it up in the mnual and it shows that there is a resevoir drain hose... What is this thing then? Just the connection of the plastic container to the body?

OP
OP
Y

ylsf

OK, it looks like that might not be a drain . I just looked it up in the mnual and it shows that there is a resevoir drain hose... What is this thing then? Just the connection of the plastic container to the body?
I wish I could go back and edit my posts. Maybe I should post until I keep reading. I thought it was hydraulic oil (since it doesn't seem like my oil level is dropping) but it seems like it might be the motor oil based on what I saw in the manual now. I still don't know how it tightens though.. Is it a bolt? Anyone have a picture of one out of the machine

OP
OP
Y

ylsf

I wish I could go back and edit my posts. Maybe I should post until I keep reading. I thought it was hydraulic oil (since it doesn't seem like my oil level is dropping) but it seems like it might be the motor oil based on what I saw in the manual now. I still don't know how it tightens though.. Is it a bolt? Anyone have a picture of one out of the machine
OK, Last edit! I guess it is the chaincase plug. Going to look into it more but if anyone knows anything in the meantime any help would be appreciated

skidsteer.ca

OK, Last edit! I guess it is the chaincase plug. Going to look into it more but if anyone knows anything in the meantime any help would be appreciated
That is the chaincase plug, Its just a rubber that pushes in the hole with a steel taper in the center to swell it up tight (hopefully)
Worst case you may need a new rubber. There is no pressure there only gravity. Remove it , stuff a rag in the hole and wipe it clean and try some silicone. Maybe just moving it will seat it better to. Worst case buy a new one for a few $
Ken

skidsteer.ca

That is the chaincase plug, Its just a rubber that pushes in the hole with a steel taper in the center to swell it up tight (hopefully)
Worst case you may need a new rubber. There is no pressure there only gravity. Remove it , stuff a rag in the hole and wipe it clean and try some silicone. Maybe just moving it will seat it better to. Worst case buy a new one for a few $
Ken
Select you "Profile" near the top of the screen, open it and put a check mark in the box beside "Use html editor" Then your paragraphs will work.
Put you links on a separate line or if you open the image and copy it from your photo hosting site (imageshack) you can then paste it in the forum as I did above.
Welcome to the forum
Ken

OP
OP
Y

ylsf

Select you "Profile" near the top of the screen, open it and put a check mark in the box beside "Use html editor" Then your paragraphs will work.
Put you links on a separate line or if you open the image and copy it from your photo hosting site (imageshack) you can then paste it in the forum as I did above.
Welcome to the forum
Ken
Thanks. After more investigation it appears that the chaincase plug is actually sitting vertically. I was told from the dealer that the plastic case above there is the gas tank. He was saying that if there is a leak above somewhere in the system is often comes through this plug as it is one of the few openings down below. So, I think there is a leak above somewhere. I am going to try to check the site access panels by the wheel next.

skidsteer.ca

Thanks. After more investigation it appears that the chaincase plug is actually sitting vertically. I was told from the dealer that the plastic case above there is the gas tank. He was saying that if there is a leak above somewhere in the system is often comes through this plug as it is one of the few openings down below. So, I think there is a leak above somewhere. I am going to try to check the site access panels by the wheel next.
Yes your fuel tank drain plug is right there also.
The oil on the plug looks so clean I don't think its coming from inside the machine, unless the loader is spotless inside the oil would look more dirty imo.
Ken

OP
OP
Y

ylsf

Yes your fuel tank drain plug is right there also.
The oil on the plug looks so clean I don't think its coming from inside the machine, unless the loader is spotless inside the oil would look more dirty imo.
Ken
OK, I took off the side panel in behind the wheel (which was a pain because the wheels were reversed so they are tighter to the machine).. Seems dry inside there plus there is steel there before the part where the leak is happening. I lifted the cab to see if I could see anything wet and as of yet I haven't noticed anything unusual. There are some wet spots but I can't tell if it is just wet from snow melting or hydraulic fluid. Going to clean off a couple of areas and leave it for a bit and see what happens. Yeah, the oil coming out is as clean as when it went into the hydraulic tank. I am wondering how the "crankcase" works, since I understand it uses the same oil as the hydraulic oil. Is it possible that this oil could some how could out somewhere else or is that a sealed unit?? Will update if I discover anything else. Thanks again for reading/posting

OP
OP
Y

ylsf

OK, I took off the side panel in behind the wheel (which was a pain because the wheels were reversed so they are tighter to the machine).. Seems dry inside there plus there is steel there before the part where the leak is happening. I lifted the cab to see if I could see anything wet and as of yet I haven't noticed anything unusual. There are some wet spots but I can't tell if it is just wet from snow melting or hydraulic fluid. Going to clean off a couple of areas and leave it for a bit and see what happens. Yeah, the oil coming out is as clean as when it went into the hydraulic tank. I am wondering how the "crankcase" works, since I understand it uses the same oil as the hydraulic oil. Is it possible that this oil could some how could out somewhere else or is that a sealed unit?? Will update if I discover anything else. Thanks again for reading/posting
I was so sure it was hydraulic oil that I failed to see that the only thing it could be was Diesel fuel! I checked the container that had accumulated 1/2 inch on the bottom and realized that it was way too liquid for oil. I don't know what I was thinking. Anyway, so it is fuel. From the tank which has the drain plug on the bottom. I kept thinking something was leaking from above and missed the most easiest issue even though it was staring at me in the face! So, how is that drain plug designed then? The rubber on the outside helps to seal it. But the steel peg does what? I am not sure how it works. Like, how would one remove it normally or re-install it normally? You mention to remove the rubber and try some silicon around it. Does anything need to be done with the steel peice itself? Thanks again

skidsteer.ca

I was so sure it was hydraulic oil that I failed to see that the only thing it could be was Diesel fuel! I checked the container that had accumulated 1/2 inch on the bottom and realized that it was way too liquid for oil. I don't know what I was thinking. Anyway, so it is fuel. From the tank which has the drain plug on the bottom. I kept thinking something was leaking from above and missed the most easiest issue even though it was staring at me in the face! So, how is that drain plug designed then? The rubber on the outside helps to seal it. But the steel peg does what? I am not sure how it works. Like, how would one remove it normally or re-install it normally? You mention to remove the rubber and try some silicon around it. Does anything need to be done with the steel peice itself? Thanks again
The steel plug is a wedge to swell the rubber tight, simply grasp it with a vice grip and pull it straight out. Both the plugs work the same.
Ken

siduramaxde

The steel plug is a wedge to swell the rubber tight, simply grasp it with a vice grip and pull it straight out. Both the plugs work the same.
Ken
I think I would run most of the fuel out of the machine before pulling the drain plug. A s220 can hold more than 20 gallons of fuel and that would take one big drain pan.