L555 Steering Shock/Neutraliser Repair?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

AndyDWA

This is update to yesterday's post which went back into approval after I edited it. This is new information so I started a new thread.

I removed the right steering shock and discovered it has only 15mm (3/4") of travel compared to 40mm on the left shock. Using the parts diagram and Mike10's instructions elsewhere, I attempted to remove the shock from the housing. However, I cannot see a retaining ring at the fat end of the assembly and I suspect it has somehow ended up inside the housing, preventing the shock shaft from returning to neutral or extending to reverse.

Whilst trying various methods (brute force) to extend the shock, something gave way, the barrel came loose and the shock drained. There are two groves in the shaft which were, presumably under the barrel - either clips or o-rings?

I assume the shock is now beyond hope but, if even I get hold of a replacement, I still can't see how to get the old one out of the housing.

Attachments

• IMG_1972.jpeg
    IMG_1972.jpeg
    88.8 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_2036.jpeg
    IMG_2036.jpeg
    396.7 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_2038.jpeg
    IMG_2038.jpeg
    324.7 KB · Views: 68
OP
OP
A

AndyDWA

I've taken the bits in to the local hydraulics place and ordered the VW replacement damper so, hopefully, all goes well from here.