L455 Fuel tank connection to filler

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

NHL455

So after fitting my cheap copy fuel sender i decided to fill the fuel tank up to full, anyway it took a lot of diesel and then i found out why as it was pouring out from underneath! After investiagtion i think it might be where the the filler pipe meets the tank as it has a rubber hose 3" which has marks looking like it should have 2 jubillee clips on securing the filler tube to the tank. The problem is that it sits mainly behind the metal plate behind the seat which cant be moved. Would i need to drop the tank to put these jubilee clips on? I am not keen to drop the tank as it is plastic and 33 years old so i presume will be brittle....? i might just have to leave it

deaop06

Mine is old also. The tanks are pretty strong. I used a 1/2" piece of plywood large enough to cover the bottom of tank and a 2x12 12" long. Use a floor jack to lower it far enough to clamp it. When you raise it back up make sure you don't force it. Should go back up easy. Good luck

Ivan

If you are talking about that rubber connector hose from the filler to the tank first thing you do is look at both of you knuckles and say goodby to the skin you now see as it is about to get replaces. Then clear the room for the launage you are about to speak out loud. Mine came off tank dropped down and I couid not get it back on. I removed the filler spout . How that is suppose to go is that tube slides up on the neck of the filler spout and thenslides down into olace. Well it works great with a new tube but no so with one as old as thecachine. I cut the old one off aftertrying to get it for 3 days. Then I went to NH for a new one. When he told me theprice for that 8 inch tube I picked myself up off the floor and made sue Mr NH as not still behind me poking away. I took the filler nect to an auto parts store and they had a rad hose the same size about 2 foot long. Cost was around 5 bucks or so. Cut it tol ength and put all back together withno problems . When you buy hose clamps make sure they have head on the screw for a socker the ones with a scewdriver slot are hard to get tightenen. Now if you want todo it theeasy way when your engine is out you have all kinds of room to workon it

OP
OP
N

NHL455

If you are talking about that rubber connector hose from the filler to the tank first thing you do is look at both of you knuckles and say goodby to the skin you now see as it is about to get replaces. Then clear the room for the launage you are about to speak out loud. Mine came off tank dropped down and I couid not get it back on. I removed the filler spout . How that is suppose to go is that tube slides up on the neck of the filler spout and thenslides down into olace. Well it works great with a new tube but no so with one as old as thecachine. I cut the old one off aftertrying to get it for 3 days. Then I went to NH for a new one. When he told me theprice for that 8 inch tube I picked myself up off the floor and made sue Mr NH as not still behind me poking away. I took the filler nect to an auto parts store and they had a rad hose the same size about 2 foot long. Cost was around 5 bucks or so. Cut it tol ength and put all back together withno problems . When you buy hose clamps make sure they have head on the screw for a socker the ones with a scewdriver slot are hard to get tightenen. Now if you want todo it theeasy way when your engine is out you have all kinds of room to workon it
Ah deapo the wood is a good idea to protect it, i am going to use it for a few months before i do any major work! Ivan glad to know you feel my pain - i have already damaged my knuckles. On my machine i have looked at the parts diagram and the rubber tube is resting on the tank which i believe is the correct position just it has no hose clip on it! I did think about taking the filler neck out but it is stuck in place so i didnt want to break it - also even if i took filler neck out it would still leave rubber sleeve in place sitting on top of the tank. Did you put a one piece pipe in with the hose clip already on and then drop that down and tighten up in place?

Ivan

Ah deapo the wood is a good idea to protect it, i am going to use it for a few months before i do any major work! Ivan glad to know you feel my pain - i have already damaged my knuckles. On my machine i have looked at the parts diagram and the rubber tube is resting on the tank which i believe is the correct position just it has no hose clip on it! I did think about taking the filler neck out but it is stuck in place so i didnt want to break it - also even if i took filler neck out it would still leave rubber sleeve in place sitting on top of the tank. Did you put a one piece pipe in with the hose clip already on and then drop that down and tighten up in place?
I put the hose clamps on just sng as once the hoose is inplace yu cannot get them in there. Now reach up in there and make sure that tube is slid into your fill spout. Mine slid off on the back side where youcould not see it. I would fix it before you use it. If you get dust and dirt into that fuel tank that is not a good thing and you will fight it for a long time. I had alage in mine and was going thru filters by tha case so I cut the rubber line from the tand and added one of those plastic throw awy filters. It was clear and only took a minto change and was only a buck instead of 12 or 13 for the other ones

OP
OP
N

NHL455

I put the hose clamps on just sng as once the hoose is inplace yu cannot get them in there. Now reach up in there and make sure that tube is slid into your fill spout. Mine slid off on the back side where youcould not see it. I would fix it before you use it. If you get dust and dirt into that fuel tank that is not a good thing and you will fight it for a long time. I had alage in mine and was going thru filters by tha case so I cut the rubber line from the tand and added one of those plastic throw awy filters. It was clear and only took a minto change and was only a buck instead of 12 or 13 for the other ones
makes sense Ivan and i am already on the throw away filters as the previous one was full of dirt - its winter here in the UK so we will not see any dust up north where i am for at least 3 or 4 motnhs. Did you just pull the filler out with brute force or is their any specific technique?

OP
OP
N

NHL455

makes sense Ivan and i am already on the throw away filters as the previous one was full of dirt - its winter here in the UK so we will not see any dust up north where i am for at least 3 or 4 motnhs. Did you just pull the filler out with brute force or is their any specific technique?
so after further inspection tonight i know why i cant get the filler pipe out - because the hose clips are actually both present and attached - which is a good thing - however it doesnt explain why I get a steady leak when tank is nearly full? I have removed the metal base plate and the tank dropped about 1/4 inch which scared me so i put some wood under it to hold it in place. So my question is - any other ideas what could be causing a steady leak probably like a litre every 10 seconds (not a drip) Also i want to jetwash the whole thing wihtout the main cover under it but i am frightened to move it with the cover off as the tank has already dropped a little bit - is this normal ?

Ivan

so after further inspection tonight i know why i cant get the filler pipe out - because the hose clips are actually both present and attached - which is a good thing - however it doesnt explain why I get a steady leak when tank is nearly full? I have removed the metal base plate and the tank dropped about 1/4 inch which scared me so i put some wood under it to hold it in place. So my question is - any other ideas what could be causing a steady leak probably like a litre every 10 seconds (not a drip) Also i want to jetwash the whole thing wihtout the main cover under it but i am frightened to move it with the cover off as the tank has already dropped a little bit - is this normal ?
That hose could be cracked. It is old and mine after Cut it out it ws so brittle you could break it in small pieces. One way to tel is put just a little air pressure in your tank and watch to see where the leak is at. Thtis what I would do but DO NOT put over a couple of pounds in it. Are yousure it is coming from thefuel spill spout area. Try to clean that area up the best that you can then watch to see if you canse where the leak is

OP
OP
N

NHL455

That hose could be cracked. It is old and mine after Cut it out it ws so brittle you could break it in small pieces. One way to tel is put just a little air pressure in your tank and watch to see where the leak is at. Thtis what I would do but DO NOT put over a couple of pounds in it. Are yousure it is coming from thefuel spill spout area. Try to clean that area up the best that you can then watch to see if you canse where the leak is
thanks ivan the air is a good idea i will try that, no i'm not sure where its coming from but it seems to soak the bit around the sender which made me think it was the filler - however its a bit of a mess in there and a few minor hydraulic leaks too so im not sure where its coming from ???

Ivan

thanks ivan the air is a good idea i will try that, no i'm not sure where its coming from but it seems to soak the bit around the sender which made me think it was the filler - however its a bit of a mess in there and a few minor hydraulic leaks too so im not sure where its coming from ???
If your tank dropped a 1/4 inch your rubber hoe just may have came off the spout in th etank. Iff there is no clamp on that hose there that could be your leak. As the fuel sloshes around in the tank it will splash up there and go over the nipple on the tank and run under the hose and out on the tank. Check tht area out real good and maybe buy raising the tankback up it will push things back in place. MIne dropped to buy the filler was messed up. I had a wide faced pry bar maybe 4 inches wide and i used that to get the tank back in place. I put a wood spacer under it to hold it there while I put the bank back on it. Another thing to check is on mine there is a rubber hose running from the tank to the fuel filters and if that has a pin hole in it you may be getting fuel flying back to the tank. But a low pressure air charge will tell all. I have a low pressure air pump like people carry in their cars and you could hook one of those up and leave it run for a couple min while you check

OP
OP
N

NHL455

If your tank dropped a 1/4 inch your rubber hoe just may have came off the spout in th etank. Iff there is no clamp on that hose there that could be your leak. As the fuel sloshes around in the tank it will splash up there and go over the nipple on the tank and run under the hose and out on the tank. Check tht area out real good and maybe buy raising the tankback up it will push things back in place. MIne dropped to buy the filler was messed up. I had a wide faced pry bar maybe 4 inches wide and i used that to get the tank back in place. I put a wood spacer under it to hold it there while I put the bank back on it. Another thing to check is on mine there is a rubber hose running from the tank to the fuel filters and if that has a pin hole in it you may be getting fuel flying back to the tank. But a low pressure air charge will tell all. I have a low pressure air pump like people carry in their cars and you could hook one of those up and leave it run for a couple min while you check
sorry if i have confused things but the 1/4 inch drop was when i removed the bottom metal cover plate as i was investigating the leak - nothing to do with the leak. And the hose clips are present i know i said in my previous post they looked like they had gone but they were just hidden under dirt and paint - plus if the hose clips werent tight i should be able to move the filler tube and it doesnt move even slightlty. I donth think its a small leak in the fuel line as its pouring out twhen i fill it so technically no fuel pump on and no pressure in the pipe ? Does the tank have any other areas prone to leaks - ie another fitting i cant see ? Will definiteley try the air tyre pump tomorrow and see if that shines any light on the matter !!!

OP
OP
N

NHL455

sorry if i have confused things but the 1/4 inch drop was when i removed the bottom metal cover plate as i was investigating the leak - nothing to do with the leak. And the hose clips are present i know i said in my previous post they looked like they had gone but they were just hidden under dirt and paint - plus if the hose clips werent tight i should be able to move the filler tube and it doesnt move even slightlty. I donth think its a small leak in the fuel line as its pouring out twhen i fill it so technically no fuel pump on and no pressure in the pipe ? Does the tank have any other areas prone to leaks - ie another fitting i cant see ? Will definiteley try the air tyre pump tomorrow and see if that shines any light on the matter !!!
so i tried this today with the tyre inflato but i couldnt feel any air coming out - unfirtunatley due to the noise of the inflator i couldnt hear any either so i tried spraying some soapy water on but still no clue......so then i tried blowing with a length of hose pipe through the tank thinking i might heaf air escaping but no pressure when i blew so obviously no chance of hearing where the air was leaking.......what next smoke?