L-425 boom cylinder

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

farmer11

Have a boom cylinder that is leaking. Finally got it off and then found out that it does't come apart. It is welded together so there is no way to replace the seals. Really need to fix it because it is blowing oil all over the motor. Any hope someone having one that will fit? I am in Iowa. Thanks

Mike10

The cylinders are called ship in a bottle cylinders. Remove the hyd fitting from the cylinder. Push the rod down until you see the retaining ring, which is at the end of the rod, through the hole in the cylinder where the fitting was. Take a screw driver through the hole and pry the retaining from the end of the rod into the deep groove. The rod can now be pulled out. The seal is in the end of the barrel.

Tazza

Staff member
The cylinders are called ship in a bottle cylinders. Remove the hyd fitting from the cylinder. Push the rod down until you see the retaining ring, which is at the end of the rod, through the hole in the cylinder where the fitting was. Take a screw driver through the hole and pry the retaining from the end of the rod into the deep groove. The rod can now be pulled out. The seal is in the end of the barrel.
hehe i like the naming, rod in a bottle. Sure does match the description to get it apart.
Thankfully i have never had to play with one of those!

JDWY

hehe i like the naming, rod in a bottle. Sure does match the description to get it apart.
Thankfully i have never had to play with one of those!
Me neither, never heard of such a thing. Ya learn something new everyday.

ts_skid_st

Are the L325 cylinders the same way? Any tips on doing the seals and getting this ring moved? Anything to watch out for?

flyerdan

Did the boom seal today. Not too bad of a job. I would post some pics but not sure How to.
If you can post links from photobucket or some online site one of us can parse them.
They need to end in .jpg or jpeg, like //http:flimflamsite.com/images.pic001.jpg

Latest posts