Knocking engine

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Curtzj

The Perkins motor on my 4600 developed a knock yesterday while it was just sitting at a fast idle. Still runs good and no excessive smoke but I fear it's fairly serious. Anyone have an idea on what it would cast to put in a reman or maybe there are other options available?

foton

I assume that you just have a oil pressure light on the machine, my suggestion would be to put on a mechanical oil pressure gauge on the engine and run it up to operating temp for awhile and let it back to a idle and see what you got and rev. it up and see what you have . that will give you a idea if it is worth a rebuild. are you thinking you have a rod knock?

OP
OP
C

Curtzj

That's what I suspect. I have a mechanical oil gauge on it now and the oil pressure is fine.

koko

Just my two bits....Mechanical oil gauges don't repair knocks! If it was knocking with the other gauge then it is still knocking now & the oil pressure could still be fine.

foton

well if your oil pressure is good chances are that block would be fit for a new crank and rods if you wanted to go down that road. I assume it would be cheaper than getting a reman. do you know what the compression is?

OP
OP
C

Curtzj

I do not know the compression but it's good to know that it's probably rebuildable. I know on some of the older skid steers they make repower kits that would be a little cheaper but I think the 4600 may be a little to large for this option. Thank you for your advice.

foton

if you have a good machine shop get the crank turned and whatever matching rod bearings and mains. you might be good for years. Of course you will need to determine what cause the rod bearing to fail when you get it apart and go from there.

imtools

I hope for your sake that you didn't have happen what happened to me (Perkins 4-108). Turned out the crank was broken in two places and it still ran. Didn't happen right away but I'm convinced it was due to using starting fluid and I never will again. Now I use heat gun in intake manifold and starts quite easily, even when quite cold.

OP
OP
C

Curtzj

Dang that's not good. I did give it a small whiff of starting fluid. My 4.108 starts a little hard if it's been sitting awhile.