Key broke off in ignition

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

ben@g2g

So for the past year or so we've been starting our Case with a screwdriver, because someone broke off the key in the ignition. The key is about 1/4" in , and i'm trying to figure out how to get it out. Any ideas? I'm not even sure how to get the ignition switch out of the machine. So if you have any ideas to get the broken key out, or know how to remove the ignition switch on a 40xt let me know. Thanks.

sandhills-elect

i will bet it will be a bastard after using a srewdriver it probably screw up the slots for the key. Maybe use some picks would be all i would know. I would just change the switch. I would not think i would be that hard, i don't know case that well to help ya though. Good luck Brent.

Tazza

Staff member
i will bet it will be a bastard after using a srewdriver it probably screw up the slots for the key. Maybe use some picks would be all i would know. I would just change the switch. I would not think i would be that hard, i don't know case that well to help ya though. Good luck Brent.
You may be lucky and find that a new switch isn't that expensive. I'd also be concerned that the screwdriver may have burred the key slot too causing more problems removing it. They are horrible to remove when they are flush with the barrel, and 1/4" down.... I wish you all the best! I'm pretty sure there will be a fair amount of swearing.
One thing i can think is a seal pick, they are sharp and strong, it may be hard enough to hook into part of the key, but it depends if there is somewhere tof ryou to hook into it. Even if you used a small dremel like took and drill a small hole in the end at an angle so you can get the pick into the hole to grip the side of the broken key. Just a thought.

OP
OP
B

ben@g2g

You may be lucky and find that a new switch isn't that expensive. I'd also be concerned that the screwdriver may have burred the key slot too causing more problems removing it. They are horrible to remove when they are flush with the barrel, and 1/4" down.... I wish you all the best! I'm pretty sure there will be a fair amount of swearing.
One thing i can think is a seal pick, they are sharp and strong, it may be hard enough to hook into part of the key, but it depends if there is somewhere tof ryou to hook into it. Even if you used a small dremel like took and drill a small hole in the end at an angle so you can get the pick into the hole to grip the side of the broken key. Just a thought.
Yeah I actually just ordered one, only $30. I'm still not sure how to get the old one out. It's in a plastic housing with other controls, and the front headlight. There are now screws, it looks like it just pops apart. One of those, of you don't do it right you break all of the clips. Gotta figure that out.

sandhills-elect

Yeah I actually just ordered one, only $30. I'm still not sure how to get the old one out. It's in a plastic housing with other controls, and the front headlight. There are now screws, it looks like it just pops apart. One of those, of you don't do it right you break all of the clips. Gotta figure that out.
I bet once you get the new one you can see how they put it in. I would think there is a nut on top or tabs in the back that hold it in. Good luck Brent.

OP
OP
B

ben@g2g

I bet once you get the new one you can see how they put it in. I would think there is a nut on top or tabs in the back that hold it in. Good luck Brent.
Yeah, it comes out like most ignitions with the big nut on the front, but I can't figure out how to get the hole console out off the machine, so i can get to the back.

sandhills-elect

Yeah, it comes out like most ignitions with the big nut on the front, but I can't figure out how to get the hole console out off the machine, so i can get to the back.
Like to help, but i know next to nothing about a case and how things like that are setup. good luck Brent.

1845and450

as for ignition i think your pretty much hooped unless you take it apart...remove the barrels/springs but keep them in order. key part should slide right out....easier said then done. but case ignitions are dime a dozen, every case ive hopped into used the same key

OP
OP
B

ben@g2g

as for ignition i think your pretty much hooped unless you take it apart...remove the barrels/springs but keep them in order. key part should slide right out....easier said then done. but case ignitions are dime a dozen, every case ive hopped into used the same key
Got the ignition switch about a month ago, but finaly just changed it this weekend. Just popped the headlight out, and accessed 3 bolts holding the control panel on. Pretty simple once i figured how to get the headlight out.