John Deere 329d Lack of Power and black smoke

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

BzrDEERE329

Hi. My Deere 329d skid steer is having issues with black smoke and Lack of power when throttled up. Starts perfect and idle perfect with no smoke. But once throttle up lots of black smoke and doesn't move the greatest either. Trying to figure out if it's turbocharger or injectors or hydraulics? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Tazza

Staff member
I'm kinda thinking turbo, but check the air filters too, be sure they are clear.
At idle, you will have pretty well no boost, so not a whole lot of fuel going int he motor, you throttle up, the injector pump will be putting more fuel in to give more power, but the air just insn't there to burn the fuel, so you get black smoke
If you can get the air inlet hose off to the turbo, see if you can spin the turbine and that it doesn't wobble.

OP
OP
B

BzrDEERE329

I'm kinda thinking turbo, but check the air filters too, be sure they are clear.
At idle, you will have pretty well no boost, so not a whole lot of fuel going int he motor, you throttle up, the injector pump will be putting more fuel in to give more power, but the air just insn't there to burn the fuel, so you get black smoke
If you can get the air inlet hose off to the turbo, see if you can spin the turbine and that it doesn't wobble.
Thanks For Info...The other day i pulled into shop, Took off intake and exhaust and intercooler hose, pretty black in turbo and of course exhaust. blew it all out and pressure tested intercooler no leaks. Turbine Spins fine. it does have some wobble side way and in and out. After cleaning every thing it is running better than is was but still lagging power and black smoke but not near as much. So ya im thinking same thing. Air filters were dirty so removed to see if make difference but still the same.

foton

Thanks For Info...The other day i pulled into shop, Took off intake and exhaust and intercooler hose, pretty black in turbo and of course exhaust. blew it all out and pressure tested intercooler no leaks. Turbine Spins fine. it does have some wobble side way and in and out. After cleaning every thing it is running better than is was but still lagging power and black smoke but not near as much. So ya im thinking same thing. Air filters were dirty so removed to see if make difference but still the same.
you might be headed to dirty injector replacement, if they are easy to get at and you have a diesel injector pump shop around have them tested. I think that would be my next move. Did you look at the fuel filters? If they are full of junk or water that could explain a injector issue.

flyerdan

you might be headed to dirty injector replacement, if they are easy to get at and you have a diesel injector pump shop around have them tested. I think that would be my next move. Did you look at the fuel filters? If they are full of junk or water that could explain a injector issue.
The turbo issue is concerning, there should be no play in the bearings at all. They spin up really fast, and more than likely have pressure lubed bearings; if the seal on one of them fails it can allow it to ingest oil and cause a runaway condition.
While it might be a pain to get to, it's better to deal with it now rather than after it's shed some impeller blades or wallered out the bearing pockets.