john deere 240 won't stay running

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

macraedj

I have a skid steer that I was working with all day and was running great. I shut it off and went to start it and it turned over and fired but as soon as I released the key it would sputter and die. The battery power looks weak, but the machine still turns over, could this still be the battery being weak? I'm not sure if diesels need the battery after they're started like a gas machine does for spark? Someone please help ....oh yeah how can I access the battery when I can't raise the loader to roll the cab off since the machine won't run? thanks

mllud

You need 12 volts to hold the fuel aolenoid open. If the battery voltage is low It could effect that. I dont know how low the battery has to be before the solenoid wont stay open .
With the key off if you can find a wire that is always hot with voltage you can charge the battery thru that wire and ground. I wouldnt use a wire that the key needed too be on to get voltage. .I think the seat belt or the seat pressure switch stays hot.
I would make sure I had plenty of fuel and make sure you use the proper starting procedure with the seat belt/ bar. If you know the machine well I dont mean to insult you.
I use a tractor with a loader to raise my boom if not running. Dont forget to lock the boom up. Mike

mllud

You need 12 volts to hold the fuel aolenoid open. If the battery voltage is low It could effect that. I dont know how low the battery has to be before the solenoid wont stay open .
With the key off if you can find a wire that is always hot with voltage you can charge the battery thru that wire and ground. I wouldnt use a wire that the key needed too be on to get voltage. .I think the seat belt or the seat pressure switch stays hot.
I would make sure I had plenty of fuel and make sure you use the proper starting procedure with the seat belt/ bar. If you know the machine well I dont mean to insult you.
I use a tractor with a loader to raise my boom if not running. Dont forget to lock the boom up. Mike
In the previous post thats a fuel solenoid not an aolenoid.

Tazza

Staff member
In the previous post thats a fuel solenoid not an aolenoid.
Even sounds like it could be the fuel bleed line is open. Kubota's do the same, start then die. Something to possibly check i guess.

OP
OP
M

macraedj

Even sounds like it could be the fuel bleed line is open. Kubota's do the same, start then die. Something to possibly check i guess.
Thanks for the responses, I'll try giving the battery a charge and see if that helps. Then I'll dig in a little deeper if I need to. Do you know if I can access the battery area without lifting loader arms? thanks

OP
OP
M

macraedj

I checked the battery and its got 12.7 volts, so the battery/alternator aren't the problem. How would I check the fuel bleed line? Is that a valve body in the fuel line? Someone mentioned to check all fuses also, not sure what I would find by doing this but its worth a shot. thanks

pooldigger

I checked the battery and its got 12.7 volts, so the battery/alternator aren't the problem. How would I check the fuel bleed line? Is that a valve body in the fuel line? Someone mentioned to check all fuses also, not sure what I would find by doing this but its worth a shot. thanks
Sounds like a bad key switch. I had the exact same thing happen to mine and it was the ignition switch.