JOHN DEERE 1978 SKID LOADER

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

rjjtony

My skid loader turns but will not start. checked sparkplugs they are dry. cleaned carburetor, charged battery, put in new solenoid. Can you suggest anything else? We need to move it and sell it.

Fishfiles

1978 , how long since it ran ---------- a guess = bad fuel , fuel filter , rotten fuel suction hose , carb clogged , ----- if the plugs are dry , then give it a short shot of starting fluid while it's spinning over and see if it will pop , if so , then look from one end to another at the fuel supply system --------------

OP
OP
R

rjjtony

1978 , how long since it ran ---------- a guess = bad fuel , fuel filter , rotten fuel suction hose , carb clogged , ----- if the plugs are dry , then give it a short shot of starting fluid while it's spinning over and see if it will pop , if so , then look from one end to another at the fuel supply system --------------
did all those things before I wrote that post. I will try to check the hose. I have one other question. There is a toggle switch next to the choke It is not connected to any thing. What is it suppose to be connected to?

Tazza

Staff member
did all those things before I wrote that post. I will try to check the hose. I have one other question. There is a toggle switch next to the choke It is not connected to any thing. What is it suppose to be connected to?
Does it kick at all if you give it a small sniff of ether through the carb while its spinning over?
The first thing to find out is if its giving a spark, if it fires a little, you at least have a spark.